HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:23 AM
Transplant in 1996
United States, NE, Scribner
Joined Aug 2011
195 Posts
Discussion
RC Airplane field tools.

I have a ton of electronic tools, I need to know what tools I need to keep.
I intend to fly glow fuel planes. I have a couple power panel/box, 5 or 6 chargers (car & home), at least 10 glo starters(some AA battery, 12v, and with cables for power panel). Plus assorted amp and volt meters. If one of you experienced guys/girls would write me back (or direct me to a post), I would definately be appeciated.
Transplant92 is offline Find More Posts by Transplant92
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:10 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,248 Posts
12v batt, almost manditory as with 12v starter! in this day and age just silly not to have them!
power panels are nice, not nessesary!
volt meters are almost a must have, highly recomended! atleast one that can check flight-pack!
pocket glow starter, goes with 12v batt and starters, should def. have. if not a must have! for me its just safer then having more cables coming from power panel! less chance of getting in prop!

now for the fun stuff!
extra glow plugs!
glowplug wrench
pliers
screw drivers
hex drivers, if you have any hexbolts on your plane,I.E. engine mount bolts"they always come lose"
extra assorted bolts,screws, controll link connectors, ect.
fuel delivery devices! I like having back-up, I use electric pump for my nitro planes! I also carry a nitro fuel bulb, for those times the pump fails!"hasn't happen yet" but just in case! electric pumps are so cheap now days, it's silly not to have one!

well I am shure theres some more, but that should get and keep you in the air!
THE KID!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,241 Posts
Some extra fuel line, safety wire, good sized adjustable wrench.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:27 PM
Transplant in 1996
United States, NE, Scribner
Joined Aug 2011
195 Posts
Thanks guys, I have lots of the things you last wrote about. Will be putting lot of my extra's on RCGroups soon. Keep watching, and THANK YOU!!!!!
Transplant92 is offline Find More Posts by Transplant92
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
309 Posts
in addition to above, a tach can be handy
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, FL, Destin
Joined Oct 2004
34 Posts
make sure your voltmeter is capable of putting at least .5A, preferably 1Amp load on your rx batt. I've seen guys use voltmeters from WalMart to measure current but those don't simulate a load on the system.

personally, i strapped a 4 cell lipo to my 12v starter to make it portable, super light and very torquey. I just don't like long wires near a spinning prop.

aslo, i use a 3000mah 11.1v (3 cell) lipo to power my panel but I use a Pacific Aeromodel panel that is capable of quick field charges of 4.8 and 6.0 volt rx packs. After maybe 5-6 flights I hook the plane up for 10-15 minutes just to top off the charge.

I take alot of backup stuff with my in the truck but I only pull out what is necessary to get the plane in the air. It's really all up to you as far as how much you wanna take.

Scotty
captscotty is offline Find More Posts by captscotty
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:32 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
For tools.... whether glow (or electric).. on any planes your flying.. anyting you need to turn, loosen or tighten.. you should have the tool for it. Along with the other stuff mentioned above. I also recommend the remote glow starter. My battery in it went bad and have been using a power panel connected one which takes more caution but its not an issue.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:51 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,129 Posts
I would recommend (IMHO) you only take the tools you used to assemble (or build) your airplane - other than what you need to start and fly the bird that is.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Muffler problems