Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:19 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
We'll have to figure out a 1 km course, which is hard to do because we've never been there.

Maybe something like this:
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:32 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico74ec View Post
I hope my level 4 vaucher arrives before the contest so I can start killing some tasks!

Enrico
You don't have to wait if you've mailed your completed Level III voucher. Read Section 6 - Procedures on the LSF website:

Quote:
Section 6 - Procedures

The tasks required at all Levels must be performed with the following restrictions: (a) all work done at Level I must commence after the voucher is received: (b) requirements for the subsequent Levels may be achieved any time after the previous Level form has been postmarked, However, these said requirements will be nullified if the postmarked form sent is returned due to errors or incompleteness; a single performance may be used for only one Level.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:10 AM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
We'll have to figure out a 1 km course, which is hard to do because we've never been there.

Maybe something like this:
That's doable. The dirt road is reasonably smooth, but you do have to cross two tree lines. You'll lose sight there, but only briefly.
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:24 AM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
465 Posts
This is going to be a great contest. Everyone that has yet to fly at this field is in for a treat!!
Jody
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:25 AM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
465 Posts
1- David Forbes 2.4
2- Gordon Buckland 2.4
3- Dillon Graves 2.4
4- John Graves 2.4
5- Ed White 2.4
6- Mike Naylor 2.4
7- Jamie Mercado 2.4
8- Dan Johns 2.4
9- Paul Mittendorff Channel 41
10- Raed Elazzawi 2.4
11- Fred Cotten 2.4
12- Chuck McCann 2.4
13- Enrico Paredes 2.4 (Sunday)
14- Rick Eckel
15- Jody Miller 2.4
16- Jeff (?) per Dave Forbes
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:53 AM
LSFIII working on LVL IV
USA, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Dec 2003
597 Posts
I've always wanted to fly with the big birds in this fields. I know it has great potential and the few times I've flown with my 2 channel DLG it has been very rewarding!!
I look forward flying there in two weeks!! See you there guys!

Enrico
enrico74ec is offline Find More Posts by enrico74ec
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:07 AM
Orlando "Buzzards" FL
Joined May 2002
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post
That's doable. The dirt road is reasonably smooth, but you do have to cross two tree lines. You'll lose sight there, but only briefly.
Dave
The pilot might not have to cross the tree line, the spotter does! The spotter will signal when the plane reaches the goal/start point so the pilot can turn the plane around and head to the other goal/start point. The pilot only has to get close enough to the tree line to see the plane better.

Raed
raed5 is offline Find More Posts by raed5
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:57 PM
LOWWWER!!!
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Hey just throwing this out there, at the past FSS at IRKS we had the LZ's to where the pilot could stand where ever he would like during landing. What type of setup are we going to have here?
TD Dillon is offline Find More Posts by TD Dillon
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:58 PM
LOWWWER!!!
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined May 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussief3b View Post
Me too!
Maybe we can do four?
YES...YES....YES!!!
TD Dillon is offline Find More Posts by TD Dillon
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Dec 2005
2,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Dillon View Post
Hey just throwing this out there, at the past FSS at IRKS we had the LZ's to where the pilot could stand where ever he would like during landing. What type of setup are we going to have here?
Depends on whether the field gets hayed in the next two weeks. If it doesn't Dave will be out there with the mower Friday afternoon and the LZ will be a bit less generous.
Dave
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:49 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
I've been working on a 1 km goal and return course that we can lay out at the San Felasco field. One feature that I think it should have is plenty of clear room after you cross the finish line in case you're low and have to land immediately. That was one thing that tripped me up at the IRKS field - we used the road at the south end of the field as the finish line and I was too low to safely cross the road without hitting the trees on the other side.

Here's what I came up with:

Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Dec 2005
2,815 Posts
Mike,
The tree lines are narrow enough that you should be able to get through them. We've walked our DLGs through them a number of times, so going through faster in a truck should be easier. Those three fields are in hay production at the moment, so plenty of places to land. The one at the far end of your projected track is head high scrub, in the picture it had recently been burned.
Dave
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:43 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post
The tree lines are narrow enough that you should be able to get through them. We've walked our DLGs through them a number of times, so going through faster in a truck should be easier.
If it's the way I'm picturing it, the pilot shouldn't need to go all the way to the southeast field. If he can get to the center field then he should be able to complete the first leg from there, then bring the plane back and go back to the starting field to finish. I see a gap near the south end of the tree line between the starting and center fields that I assume we can drive or walk through.
Quote:
The one at the far end of your projected track is head high scrub, in the picture it had recently been burned.
What we'll need is a spotter to take a position at the south corner of that southeast field and sight toward the northeast along the border of scrub, then signal by phone or FRS-GMRS radio when a glider crosses the line.

Am I picturing it right? Does that sound like something we'll be able to do?
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Dec 2005
2,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
If it's the way I'm picturing it, the pilot shouldn't need to go all the way to the southeast field. If he can get to the center field then he should be able to complete the first leg from there, then bring the plane back and go back to the starting field to finish. I see a gap near the south end of the tree line between the starting and center fields that I assume we can drive or walk through.What we'll need is a spotter to take a position at the south corner of that southeast field and sight toward the northeast along the border of scrub, then signal by phone or FRS-GMRS radio when a glider crosses the line.

Am I picturing it right? Does that sound like something we'll be able to do?
That should do it, we regularly fly our DLGs over the center field standing in the start field, and I timed once for Phil Barnes where he was probably well beyond your 1K mark with a DLG, from the center of the start field
Dave
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:31 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,574 Posts
Graves and Bucklands Hotels booked.
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member