HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:46 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
That flylite looks kinda like my BluBaby. Price surprised me. Quite cheap. His wife should not complain lol... Not like he came home with a new camaro.

I always take it high first few flights. Have not crashed anything due to pilot error in a while so knock on wood... And my son inlaw is back on the nutball for a while. Hes using my gear...

Nightstone
The Flylite is one of the best first time flyer planes , in my opinion . Nice and slow and SUPER stable . Almost everyone who tries mine ends up getting one if they get in to the hobby . The only commercially available plane I know of that's slower is the Night Vapor , which you could fly in your living room ( NEVER in any wind , Though! ) .
Parkzone Night Vapor RTF indoor flight flight (4 min 8 sec)
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:11 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Did the maiden on the new one this morning. Its a keeper. Flys great. Went straight to 3s and chucked it into the air. Wife had a hard time keeping up with it. It becomes a spec in the sky real fast at full throttle.

This one is much more maneuverable than that second one my son in law toasted. And I don't know why lol. You can see in the vid how fast she snaps around. Including dives. I only put a mild KM underneath on this one.

Also... motor was hot. Esc was hot ( 30amp ). Battery was hot and almost sucked dry.

Anyways... Here is the vid.

DSE3 (5 min 8 sec)

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Did the maiden on the new one this morning. Its a keeper. Flys great. Went straight to 3s and chucked it into the air. Wife had a hard time keeping up with it. It becomes a spec in the sky real fast at full throttle.

This one is much more maneuverable than that second one my son in law toasted. And I don't know why lol. You can see in the vid how fast she snaps around. Including dives. I only put a mild KM underneath on this one.

Also... motor was hot. Esc was hot ( 30amp ). Battery was hot and almost sucked dry.

Anyways... Here is the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXaB...ature=youtu.be

Nightstone
AWESOME !!! Looks like a great flyer ! On my fast ones , I take off and land on high rates ( for control ) , but go to low rates with some expo for the high speed screaming around - then they fly as if they're on rails .
When you check your motor and ESC , look for color change in the wires ( inside the motor ) and smell them . If they get dark and smell like they're burning , then ... you get the picture .
What was the c rating of the battery ?
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:01 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
AWESOME !!! Looks like a great flyer ! On my fast ones , I take off and land on high rates ( for control ) , but go to low rates with some expo for the high speed screaming around - then they fly as if they're on rails .
When you check your motor and ESC , look for color change in the wires ( inside the motor ) and smell them . If they get dark and smell like they're burning , then ... you get the picture .
What was the c rating of the battery ?
Batt is an 850mah 25-50c. 21.25 Amp to 42.50 amp burst. Should be fine for that motor. Folks are reporting 17-18 amps with my setup.

I'm picking up a watt meter this month and some other goodies. Wife and I limit ourselves to $150 a month each on disposable hobbies. May also pick up a few more of this motor.

Do you think the motor prop combo has anything to do with the increased maneuverability? This one is way more responsive while traveling fast. that last one I had issues with the plane not wanting to pull up at high speed. This one snaps up easily.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Batt is an 850mah 25-50c. 21.25 Amp to 42.50 amp burst. Should be fine for that motor. Folks are reporting 17-18 amps with my setup.

I'm picking up a watt meter this month and some other goodies. Wife and I limit ourselves to $150 a month each on disposable hobbies. May also pick up a few more of this motor.

Do you think the motor prop combo has anything to do with the increased maneuverability? This one is way more responsive while traveling fast. that last one I had issues with the plane not wanting to pull up at high speed. This one snaps up easily.

Nightstone
I don't know if the motor/prop are affecting the maneuverability - unless the other one has a higher thrust line that pushes the nose down with increased throttle . Do you like that it's more responsive ?
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:01 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if the motor/prop are affecting the maneuverability - unless the other one has a higher thrust line that pushes the nose down with increased throttle . Do you like that it's more responsive ?
I do... Alot. I don't like to fly with exp or rates. I like that twitchy fly by your pants feel. I was a hard core twitchy gamer for years until it almost became divorce exhibit number one. So no more gaming for me...

But flying these planes is like getting my fix again ( Shhhhsh don't tell my wife ). nothing to shoot or hackup but still a challenge and a thrill.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
I do... Alot. I don't like to fly with exp or rates. I like that twitchy fly by your pants feel. I was a hard core twitchy gamer for years until it almost became divorce exhibit number one. So no more gaming for me...

But flying these planes is like getting my fix again ( Shhhhsh don't tell my wife ). nothing to shoot or hackup but still a challenge and a thrill.

Nightstone
A buddy of mine also likes that kind of flying - we call it that "crazy ass " flying ! Fun to watch ! On your next build , try adding rudder(s) into the mix to enhance the craziness . Take a look at this video to see what rudders ( and yaw axis thrust vectoring ) can do for a fast plane .
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...r4cMk68jthq1bQ
And if you miss the destruction in the gaming , find some people willing to try some foamy COMBAT !
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Sep 02, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:19 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
A buddy of mine also likes that kind of flying - we call it that "crazy ass " flying ! Fun to watch ! On your next build , try adding rudder(s) into the mix to enhance the craziness . Take a look at this video to see what rudders ( and yaw axis thrust vectoring ) can do for a fast plane .
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...r4cMk68jthq1bQ
And if you miss the destruction in the gaming , find some people willing to try some foamy COMBAT !
That was crazy lol. Thrust vectoring on an RC plane lol... Lots to look forward to.

Al... Help me spend some cash... So far this month a watt meter is on the agenda along with some lights for night stuff. I'm also looking at a small key chain cam I can velcro to my cap and to the plane. I'm thinking I want to pick up a couple of EDF combos too. If you have any suggestions i'm all ears. Looking for 400-600g of thrust inexpensive but not cheap. Able to survive at least a minor crash. Here we go again that need for speed... My biggest Battery is a 3s 25c 1500mah if that helps any.

Perhaps an EDF powered Super Easy lol.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
That was crazy lol. Thrust vectoring on an RC plane lol... Lots to look forward to.

Al... Help me spend some cash... So far this month a watt meter is on the agenda along with some lights for night stuff. I'm also looking at a small key chain cam I can velcro to my cap and to the plane. I'm thinking I want to pick up a couple of EDF combos too. If you have any suggestions i'm all ears. Looking for 400-600g of thrust inexpensive but not cheap. Able to survive at least a minor crash. Here we go again that need for speed... My biggest Battery is a 3s 25c 1500mah if that helps any.

Perhaps an EDF powered Super Easy lol.

Nightstone
I'm glad you're getting lights for night flying - LOTS of fun ! I get my LED's from Hobbypartz , roughly 10 cents a light . http://www.hobbypartz.com/ledlights.html scroll down past the RC car lights . I power them from a separate battery , 3s ( 2s not bright enough ) 800mah or 500mah . Hobbypartz and Hobbyking both have small cameras , I have this one from Hobbypartz http://www.hobbypartz.com/86p-948h-hd-minicam.html , works great , nice HD , but sometimes it won't power up and you have to push the reset button - then it's fine .
I haven't done EDF yet , but I've seen these combos ( EDF , ESC and 4 servos ) at Hobbypartz that seem reasonable http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-70mm-edf-combo.html and http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-64mm-edf-combo.html. I'm not sure how fast you can get with EDF , but with pusher prop I've seen videos of guys pushing 200 mph using 2000 watt motors .
If you're venturing further into the world of speed , you might want to get some batteries with higher c ratings . I run my DT foam jet on 3s , and there's a big increase in power going from 30c to 40c . On my next battery purchase I'm gonna get some 65c . And of course , 4s and 5s will seriously kick up the power .
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:48 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
I'm glad you're getting lights for night flying - LOTS of fun ! I get my LED's from Hobbypartz , roughly 10 cents a light . http://www.hobbypartz.com/ledlights.html scroll down past the RC car lights . I power them from a separate battery , 3s ( 2s not bright enough ) 800mah or 500mah . Hobbypartz and Hobbyking both have small cameras , I have this one from Hobbypartz http://www.hobbypartz.com/86p-948h-hd-minicam.html , works great , nice HD , but sometimes it won't power up and you have to push the reset button - then it's fine .
I haven't done EDF yet , but I've seen these combos ( EDF , ESC and 4 servos ) at Hobbypartz that seem reasonable http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-70mm-edf-combo.html and http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-64mm-edf-combo.html. I'm not sure how fast you can get with EDF , but with pusher prop I've seen videos of guys pushing 200 mph using 2000 watt motors .
If you're venturing further into the world of speed , you might want to get some batteries with higher c ratings . I run my DT foam jet on 3s , and there's a big increase in power going from 30c to 40c . On my next battery purchase I'm gonna get some 65c . And of course , 4s and 5s will seriously kick up the power .
Spent the last few days looking at video equipment. I'm not too impressed at this point. My galaxy S has better video than most. It goes from cheap to heavy and pricey. Wish I could mount my canon 7D on a plane lol. GoPro or some of the other compact cameras seem to be the way to go. With that comes the weight and everything else that that entails.

I think I need to think this through a bit more. Plane, Gyro System, Camera.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Spent the last few days looking at video equipment. I'm not too impressed at this point. My galaxy S has better video than most. It goes from cheap to heavy and pricey. Wish I could mount my canon 7D on a plane lol. GoPro or some of the other compact cameras seem to be the way to go. With that comes the weight and everything else that that entails.

I think I need to think this through a bit more. Plane, Gyro System, Camera.

Nightstone
Yeah , GoPro seems to be the one for AP . Might spend the $ one of these days .
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:17 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,687 Posts
Got one framed up. May use a classic speed 400 since I have one handy.
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
Got one framed up. May use a classic speed 400 since I have one handy.
Looks good ! If you can , show us a flying video when the time comes .
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:31 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
Yeah , GoPro seems to be the one for AP . Might spend the $ one of these days .
Pulling the trigger on a Gopro. Could not find anything else with that low a weight and still have some kind of quality. I can film with it. Put it on planes. Wife can use it for the grand kids and outings, etc. Its tough and its dirt cheap compared to most of my photo equipment. So win win.

I was messing around today and made a delta Bipe. Going to do a maiden in the AM. Hopefully I have the cg right and it actually flys. Its two diagonal delta wings on top of each other. One is 4" forward of the other and 4" apart horizontally. Motor is slotted in the top wing. Will post a pic/vid if it fly's. If not it goes in the failed experiment pile.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Pulling the trigger on a Gopro. Could not find anything else with that low a weight and still have some kind of quality. I can film with it. Put it on planes. Wife can use it for the grand kids and outings, etc. Its tough and its dirt cheap compared to most of my photo equipment. So win win.

I was messing around today and made a delta Bipe. Going to do a maiden in the AM. Hopefully I have the cg right and it actually flys. Its two diagonal delta wings on top of each other. One is 4" forward of the other and 4" apart horizontally. Motor is slotted in the top wing. Will post a pic/vid if it fly's. If not it goes in the failed experiment pile.

Nightstone
Good choice going with GoPro . If you ever want to up the AP game , GoPro also make a device that combines two GoPros to make 3D videos . And of course there's FPV , where you wear video goggles that let you fly the plane as if you're sitting in the cockpit , complete with head tracking ( move your head to the left or right , up or down , the camera on the plane moves accordingly ) .
That bipe sounds like fun . There's a guy here on RC Groups who has made an amphibious bipe delta http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1684700 . He also makes a lot of giant planes out of R-tech foam from Home Depot .