HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2014, 06:49 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
647 Posts
I posted this over in the Radian thread and probably just have posted here instead, anyway I came across these folding prop blades that MIGHT fit on the stock spinner. They have a 6mm shoulder and 2 mm holes. They have 10X8 and 11X8 for $5, they might be worth a shot. I buy from these vendor all the time and they are great,$2 shipping and they ship next day(no I don't work there). I bought one of the folding prop spinner hubs that are on the same page about 2 years ago and it was really heavy by the way but they are only $7. Maybe they have changed? Anyway check it out if you are interested.
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Folding-Props_c86.htm
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 06:15 PM
Old Prop Buster
Joined Dec 2009
647 Posts
I am competing in ALES and really enjoy it. So I am working on my Radian trying to improve its performance and of course practicing to improve my performance. I wanted to fill in the air scoop on the canopy to improve the drag. I am not really worried about overheating as the motor only runs for about 30 seconds. I am leaving the cooling holes in the nose piece and also taping over the majority of the screen on the hatch on the bottom. I got inspired when I saw TreeFlyer's Radian in the for sale section yesterday. I cut a piece of blue core foam and got it close in size and glued it into the scoop of the canopy. When it dried I sanded it to shape and painted it black and put a piece of tape to smooth the transition. Here is a pic before I painted. The Radian is a good plane and will get me there till I can afford a Pulsar. By then I hope my skill set will be able to take advantage of a better plane.
Gary
Old Jul 19, 2014, 06:43 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
455 Posts
Interresting. I've simply taped mine over with 3 mil tape. You think there's a a performance gain with the foam ?
FabFlight is offline Find More Posts by FabFlight
Old Jul 19, 2014, 08:03 PM
Old Prop Buster
Joined Dec 2009
647 Posts
I was just trying to match the curve of the cowling, tape I don't think would do that. Performance gain, maybe a little? It has more to do with trying to change a mind set to compete, little details matter. Did you notice the performance difference when you taped over the inlet? I have not flown it yet. Here is a link to a cool modified Radian that has inspired me.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774850
Gary
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:08 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
455 Posts
I taped it at the beginning of last winter mainly because I was going to use the Radian throughout winter in way below freezing temperatures, along with most of the belly batch. It's the kind of mod that's hard to see an obvious difference.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:13 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
455 Posts
The one mod that really increased my ALES pleasure is the addition of ailerons that I programmed as flapperons & spoilerons, both on the throttle stick. My throttle stick have a spring-return to centre, so pushing forward is spoilerons and pulling is flapperons. Ailerons control is on the right stick, as it should. Now I can get landing points !
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:50 PM
Addicted to lift
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2010
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
I am competing in ALES and really enjoy it. So I am working on my Radian trying to improve its performance and of course practicing to improve my performance. I wanted to fill in the air scoop on the canopy to improve the drag. I am not really worried about overheating as the motor only runs for about 30 seconds. I am leaving the cooling holes in the nose piece and also taping over the majority of the screen on the hatch on the bottom. I got inspired when I saw TreeFlyer's Radian in the for sale section yesterday. I cut a piece of blue core foam and got it close in size and glued it into the scoop of the canopy. When it dried I sanded it to shape and painted it black and put a piece of tape to smooth the transition. Here is a pic before I painted. The Radian is a good plane and will get me there till I can afford a Pulsar. By then I hope my skill set will be able to take advantage of a better plane.
Gary
Drag from that tiny scoop should be less than minimal. If i were you and i was trying to reduce drag on the Radian, I'd taper the trailing edge instead. It's super thick.
eosglider is offline Find More Posts by eosglider
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:14 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2013
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eosglider View Post
Drag from that tiny scoop should be less than minimal. If i were you and i was trying to reduce drag on the Radian, I'd taper the trailing edge instead. It's super thick.
Thin TE bad; thick TE good.. http://enu.kz/repository/2010/AIAA-2010-4228.pdf counter-intuitive but goes with fat chord airfoils.
Thoren is offline Find More Posts by Thoren
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:31 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
455 Posts
Someone knows the spec of the Radian's stock motor? Or brand & model number ?

I'm trying to play with http://ecalc.ch but miss the motor specs...
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:59 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,337 Posts
Horizon does many good things but publishing motor specs is not one of them. About all that is published is that it's a 480 (Horizon designation) outrunner and 960KV. Not much help. There may have been others who have taken some measurements on this motor but I'm not aware of who they may be.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:03 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
455 Posts
Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:52 PM
United States, NY, Livingston Manor
Joined Jun 2013
184 Posts
Some info on Amazon. Radian RC motor.
bozodude is online now Find More Posts by bozodude
Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
455 Posts
Not much info indeed. The "480 size" relates to power or dimensions?
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,337 Posts
It is Horizons classification and probably refers to power class. I think this is loosely linked to earlier internal combustion motor classifications. It's not much help when you are trying to use one of the e-motor programs to establish performance.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing