Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:43 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,657 Posts
JR-P38 here, but not quite there!

I thought you guys would be interested in following the finishing of my JR-P38. Had the model way over a year now but only got into getting it ready for the off this summer. So far I've cut back and primed the fuzz and drilled hole's in the nose. These holes have a dual application, scale detail and allowing more air over the battery. The hole's now have 3mm ali tube installed to serve as guns blast tubes. These are supported by the shaped blue foam block (shown) which is intended to offer protection to the nose from the battery in case of a hard landing! The guns are cut from 1mm and held within the blast tubes by a callar made from 2mm tubing.

Tomorrow i'll start covering the remaining wooden surfaces with Litespan, "an iron on replacment for tissue and dope" it says on the packet! This will then be primed ready, hopefully to be sprayed next week... Time will tell. Any comments on this technique and how well it takes paint/spray?

I'd also like to know from fellow JR-P38 owners (I know there's quite alot on ezone) of information on AuW of your models and what to look out for on the test flight. I'm fearful that the extra detail could bring the weight up too high

Thanks
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Last edited by stuart warne; Aug 15, 2003 at 11:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:52 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,657 Posts
Plug installed.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:54 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,657 Posts
primed, awaiting flying surfaces to be covered.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 16, 2003, 03:04 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,657 Posts
A view of the guns dry fitted into the nose as descriped above (these were made to test the theory, new one's will be made once finished). I'm covering the flying surface tonight and will prime them tomorrow and post some pics of that asap.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by stuart warne; Aug 16, 2003 at 03:10 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 08:00 PM
albuquerque
Joined Sep 2001
1,120 Posts
Mine weights 41oz with an 8 cell 1300 pack. Will hand launch and has no bad traits. Guns on yous are looking good.
jbest is offline Find More Posts by jbest
Old Aug 17, 2003, 04:18 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,657 Posts
Thanks jbest, you've really done a nice job with yours, how longs it been flying now? I seem to remeber have discussions with you on this model in the past, when I was contemplating building it. Well as you can see i'm finally doing it Hand launches at 41oz, I'll try and get it to that then.

Now I've heard that this model flies perfectly well can'd 450's-480's. I would however want to make this my first brushless model. I like the idea of better efficiency, longer durration and MORE POWER Two mega's I think should do the trick, any comments. But, if i were to take this option I could have the model ready to fly by September, but unable to afford the brushless motor's until at least after Christmas

So do I go for the can'd option and fly it before I return to Uni in Mid Sept, or is brushless worth the wait

Thanks, more pic to come today...
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 17, 2003, 04:31 AM
UK
Joined Feb 2003
90 Posts
stuart.
model fly.s great on brushless mine was fitted with 2 kontronic 480/28 on 7 cells.hand launches no prob.
plenty have gone for can motors with good results.
reinforce the bottom nacells as they statr to crack after a couple of dozen flights resin and a little glass cloth helps.no bad traits when flying really smooth.regards grumps.
Grumps is offline Find More Posts by Grumps
Old Aug 17, 2003, 01:31 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,657 Posts
Thanks for the advice Grumps, I'll do that.

All surfaces now primed, also cut out the elevator and ailerons this evening. Not really sure what way to take it now. I do now need to reinforce the nacells as suggested. I think I'll carry on and hinge the wings.

Could anyone tell me the hinge method best used on the ailerons of this model, I'd like to use hinge tape but don't won't the edge visable under the paint. I could use very plastic mylar hinges, an suggestions please. Once thats done I'll install the wing servo's and join the wing's then we can move onto the thinking about spraying the model. I've still got to cut out the radiator/engine intake, so i guess I'll be doing that over the next evening or so and order some bits and bobs at the same time.

Here the work done today not much to look at but progress none the less.

Stuart.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:55 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,657 Posts
Been very busy working to earn much money for last year of Uni and getting my Bf109 and Hellcat flying, hence this is my first post here in a while. But things have progressed. I've used carbon fibre to reinforce the nacelles and fuzz pod/battery bay. The ailerons have been hinged using solatex strips on the underside of the wing and servo's installed and connected and motor wires made up (I may have a question about this later) Tonight I'll glue the wing's to the fuzz, I'll try and post an image by the weekend.

Btw I'm quite concerned about the weight. Minus the motors,esc, tail plane and final coat of paint the model weighs 38 oz So complete, I'm guessing it will be pushing 50 oz jbest, yours is 41 oz complete yeah? But anyone else who has this model flying, please post your auw. I need to be confident that my model will hand launch and fly well.
I think the nose plug/guns and carbon fibre reinforcement, to much epoxy/glue maybe?

bye 4 now...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by stuart warne; Sep 10, 2003 at 10:58 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 01:15 PM
Tomball, Texas
Joined Nov 2002
29 Posts
Not the same plane, so definately not an apples to apples complarison, but you might find this useful:

Mine is the K&A P-38.

50" W.S. / 350 in sq.
Airfoil is SD6060 Modified.

Mine ended up at hefty AUW of 64oz (4 lbs!).
That puts the wing loading at 26oz/ft^2
This scared the crap out of me when I got it finished, and then started thinking about flying it. Kenny at K&A assured me it would be OK, so I did it.

I've flown it four times, tossed by a trusted friend with no real problems. I think I could toss it myself if needed and it would be OK. Overall, it flies pretty good at that weight.
rwlewis is offline Find More Posts by rwlewis
Old Sep 10, 2003, 02:26 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,657 Posts
I know its not the same kit, but its a model of the same plane and basically the same size (my has a 48" wing). So 64oz and it flys alright, should translate to mean that If i reach my target weight of no more than 48oz mine too will certainly fly. Thanks rwlewis

anyone with a jr p38 care to comment

Thanks.

BTW Wings joined now, post pics soon.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2003, 04:06 PM
UK
Joined Feb 2003
90 Posts
stu. mine came out at 56oz. i dont think you need worry.
grumps.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 09:10 AM
USA, NY, Corning
Joined Jul 2000
253 Posts
I've just started one of these. I've probably got a good 20 minutes of work into it so far What are your thoughts about covering with .75oz. glass cloth and resin? I think I can keep this light, but maybe something else is truly better (litespan?). Another option is substituting Ca glue for the resin (which will probably raise a few eyebrows and cause others to question my sanity).

What did you use for primer? Also, it appears that my horizontal tail fits loosely in the slots (tail booms), was yours like that too? I'm trying to decide if I should shim it to the middle of the slots to the top or bottom. At first glance, it looked like biasing it to the top or bottom could change its incidence.
Checkmate is offline Find More Posts by Checkmate
Old Sep 11, 2003, 09:11 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,657 Posts
Thanks Grumps, thats help settle my nerve's

BTW Grumps are you able you to get an image of your P38 on the thread, i'd like to see it?
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:54 PM
UK
Joined Feb 2003
90 Posts
hi stu,will try but it will be a few days,its in stripdown at the mo more repairs to the nacells,and i am in the middle of a t/f p47 build for electric,well thats the idea anyway. regards grumps.