HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2011, 01:11 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Also i noticed one guy used packaging tape on the leading edge of the wing.

Any thoughts on that?
I have packaging tape on the LE of my wing. Hope it does something good...
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2011, 01:28 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,276 Posts
i finally built a light stryker,used a bare fuse,made hatches and fins out of coroplast left over from election signs,30a esc and 1800 3s batt.motor is a tower pro 2409-12 cd with an 8x4 prop.used sharpie marking pens to color it(added no weight)and also removed a lot of weight by hollowing out the batt tray and putting a stick mount on it.flies like a real floater,slow and easy but will climb quickly and just glide around all day.with throttle off most the time, i get tired before the batt does.quite diff than my fast strykers but just as fun.kinda neat to see ppl watch this fly slow,then pull out a 130+mph stryker and push it
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old May 30, 2011, 08:39 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Quote:
wopachop

Posts: 244 Its just about to start!!! If hobby shop is open on a monday memorial day i will have a fuselage in my hand today woooohoooo!!!!

Read through the entire thread again and keep coming up with questions.

Whats lighter and/or stronger balsa wood or depron elevons?

Have you steven or anyone toyed around with notching in the motor mount VS laying it on top? I read you just lay on top. But have you ever tried notching to feel if plane flies different?

How much deflection should the elevons have? Trying to determine how large of angle to cut into elevon.
wopachop, Balsa would be stonger for the elevons but depron is lighter.

I have notched my motor mount in on some of my planes. I usually just glue it on top because I like the thrust angle that it makes and it is easy and fast to build. You can notch in the if you want. Some people point the foward end of the mount at the nose ( this makes less down thurst) I like a little down thrust on my strykers so I use the stock angle or acutally tilt the motor mount slightly more down in the rear and less in the front ( this makes more down thrust).
The angle I cut in the elevons is a 45 degree cut. I use less deflection than that for flight. It depends on how large your elevons are. I think the stock one are around 1 1/4 inches. Mine are 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches wide. Some people use 2 inch elevons. The wider the elevons the more responsive and "twitchy" it is but the more acrobatic the plane is.
The styker is a responsive plane I would use less deflection at first and then so up. I would also use expo if your radio has it.
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Old May 30, 2011, 09:16 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Awesome thank you steven!! Well i picked up a fuselage today Wound up buying stock fins just so i could copy them. Pretty disappointed in the hobby shop service though. Nobody seemed to be able to answer simple questions...didnt seem to care at all.

For instance i told them exactly what i was building. Had the stryker pushrod set in my hand and asked if they sold the control horns. The guy just looked at me with a blank stare. So i asked if they sold a control horn that is similar size to stock. He takes me over to a different section....points and says use any of those. The sizes varied greatly.

So anyway i still need to pick up some parts. Still have many questions.

What size control horns do i need?

Do you guys run the plastic fin retainers? Looking at them now i see it says F-27B darnit.

Should i copy the stock fin shape exactly?

How much expo would you recommend? Plan to buy Dx6i here shortly

I see the nose uses double sided tape. You guys like that or switch to velcro or magnets...thinking magnets would be too heavy.

Sorry for dumb questions. Ive never seen a fully built stryker in person. Just going by pics alone is sorta difficult for me.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old May 31, 2011, 01:47 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,830 Posts
take the screw out of the nose with needle nose pliers. I used CA to secure my nose to the plane, (smaller gap). I like the stock elevons better than custom balsa ones. They are tapered and the hinges provide a little resistance to keep them from fluttering, they also come with the control horns, so you'd be set. i use about 30% expo, but I fly 3D so it might be too much for you, start with 40 or 45%.
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old May 31, 2011, 01:50 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Jan 2002
1,830 Posts
oh and you can just use the white gorilla glue to attach the fins. Just put like 4-5 drops into the groove and slide the fin in. white gorilla glue doesn't stick that strong to this foam, so in case you wanted to remove them then you can without destroying the plane. you can copy them and make fins out of foamboard or whatever you want... its up to you.
KillerCut is offline Find More Posts by KillerCut
Old May 31, 2011, 01:56 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,276 Posts
another idea is to use hot glue,it holds the fins in nicely and can be removed by heating an exacto blade and cutting it.ya that screw in the nose is a pita,i always remove it.i just tried using magnets to hold the nose on,before i was gluing the nose on and sanding and filling the gaps,think i like the magnets better.as far as the fin design,there are a few setups listed in the stryker dark side forums,at the moment i am making some fins out of coroplast with rudders,taking some cues from the new f27q,curious to see how low i can hold a knife edge with a stryker
Old May 31, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
22 Posts
I built a sloper stryker, hobbyking 3ch receiver and ubec with 2s 470mah batteries.
took it out last week, flew amazing. one of the htx900s got a stripped gear, so im waiting for my hk order to come in to get this back up.

I was going to just put the stock stuff on it when the original body died, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, so I just made it a sloper.
t0wer is offline Find More Posts by t0wer
Old Jun 01, 2011, 02:31 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Hoping some of my other questions can still be answered.

So if these light strykers can be built for around $60 minus the battery. How is it that i just spent $65 on depron alone....?????

ahahahaha....i paid more in depron shipping than it cost for my motor and esc combined

Any you guys try using depron Aero yet? Started thread in another section. Learned some valuable info that i had not read in this thread. Hope it can help others.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448111
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:05 PM
United States, NC, Randleman
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
wopachop I use these horns.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...3&pid=B3545175

The shape of the fins dosent really matter. If you look at my planes I use straight lines and they are a much slimpler shape. I mine are about 9 inches at the bottom, 4 inches at the top and about 5 inches tall.
ssteven1 is offline Find More Posts by ssteven1
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:02 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,276 Posts
body,18.99,fins and hatch,free made from coroplast election signs,elevons,3.99 rods,2.49servos,2.69x2,esc,hk25-30a,5.99,clone 6100 reciever,4.99,motor 2409-12,9.79,paint,sharpie marking pens,2.00 batt,1800 3s,11.19 so my stryker complete ready to fly with batt 64.81 before tax.forgot,motor mount was about 3.00 it's a piece of 10mm square alum tube and hot glue
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:31 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Thank you steven!!!!

Purdy plane there oly

I was just making jokes about the depron cost. It was $65 because i bought around 8 different sized sheets. Will play around with the different deprons and post what i find.

Hey whats your guys opinion on cutting out those fake air scoops?
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:45 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,276 Posts
ya np wop,just breaking it down,suprised it was so low with the batt.see what happens when i get bored and find a drawerfull of sharpies.as for the airbrakes as we call them in the fast thread,i remove them for my fast planes but leave them on for the slow ones.i haven't used depron but i do use the blue fanfold,i get it at lowes,25 24x48 sheets for about 40.i make light foamies and pusher jets with it,really fun stuff.there's a thread with a lot of plans in the scrtchbuilt foamy thread.as for my stryker,it's kinda nice just floating across the runway or holding in one spot with a sleight headwind.building a heavy right now for my mega 22/30/2 motor,want to push 150+ with it
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:48 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impostor View Post
I have packaging tape on the LE of my wing. Hope it does something good...
usually the tape on the leading edges is just for protection against dings and nicks when landing.for support run a piece on the bottom from wingtip to wingtip.i use neon green duct tape for that,makes it stiffer and easier to see
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:49 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0wer View Post
I built a sloper stryker, hobbyking 3ch receiver and ubec with 2s 470mah batteries.
took it out last week, flew amazing. one of the htx900s got a stripped gear, so im waiting for my hk order to come in to get this back up.

I was going to just put the stock stuff on it when the original body died, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, so I just made it a sloper.
nice looking paint job,looks good