Nov 10, 2012, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR
That's funny. Almost like saying I have this steering wheel cover I better go get a car for it.
True.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2012, 11:14 AM
Huckin around the Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
I just converted my V1 Velox from electric to gas. From E-flite 90 to DLE 20. Bowman ring and reed cage mods before the first flight. WOW! 17x6 Xoar prop hovers at 1/4 throttle. After 5 flights, I'm read to start leaning out the engine a little more. Now comes the really hard part - cutting out that beautiful cowl to clear the engine cylinder head.

I fly mainly electrics these days so I've been getting some pretty snide remarks at the flying field for going over to the "Dark Side" with this conversion, but I'm loving the performance of the little 20.

McD
Do you have a throttle curve setup on your throttle. A lot of the times in small gassers you get most of your throttle in the first half of stick travel due to the way the carb works. Most of the time you get 14-15 lbs of thrust with a 20cc and depending on your weight you will need 70-80% or so of available thrust to hover.

What did the weight come out to?
Nov 10, 2012, 11:40 AM
Yea normally you need a steep curve and a geometrically correct throttle linkage
Nov 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
Bob418
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
I just converted my V1 Velox from electric to gas. From E-flite 90 to DLE 20. Bowman ring and reed cage mods before the first flight. WOW! 17x6 Xoar prop hovers at 1/4 throttle. After 5 flights, I'm read to start leaning out the engine a little more. Now comes the really hard part - cutting out that beautiful cowl to clear the engine cylinder head.

I fly mainly electrics these days so I've been getting some pretty snide remarks at the flying field for going over to the "Dark Side" with this conversion, but I'm loving the performance of the little 20.

McD
Quick question, how was the Velox on the Eflite 90??? and were you running 8 cells, and what prop did you run??
Nov 12, 2012, 07:54 AM
We shall serve the Lord
I fly mostly pattern and sport style manuevers with a little hovering, some harriers, and lots of flat spins.

I have not set up a throttle curve yet for the 20. I set up exact travel geometry for the servo and throttle plate. I get good throttle response up to a little over 3/4 throttle throw and then not much difference from there to full.

The E-flite 90 (325kV) flew very well with an 18x8E APC prop on 6S Thunder power 65C batteries. I flew this setup at SEFF for the last two years. I just wasn't flying it very much here at home so I decided to try my luck with gas power. I had one of Ben's MLD 28s that I was going to use, but it was a tight fit in the cowl, so I got the DLE20.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Nov 12, 2012, 11:24 PM
ProBro, 3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake
Yea normally you need a steep curve and a geometrically correct throttle linkage
Can you post what this curve would look like, or the numbers? Is it linear or other?

I have a JR9303 and I think I can setup a throttle curve on it for my gassers.
Nov 13, 2012, 08:35 AM
the curve is different for every engine but you could start like this (I run a dx8) your curve should look graphically like an exponential equation on a graphing calculator.

low-0%
25%-10%
50%-35%
75%-65%
High - 100%
Nov 16, 2012, 08:23 AM
Huckin around the Shire
One of my curves has the 75% point at less than 50% servo travel. I even have one on my DA-120, although other have reported no need and I think I got the servo geometry backwards. Winter project.
Nov 16, 2012, 10:16 PM
Yea, I usually start with that curve and it tends to get steeper after a flight or two.
Nov 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
3D Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic
Hummmmmm wonder what I'm doing wrong? This one won't tumble at all. It's like it has very little elevator authority off throttle. Even crankshafts are lazy at best
maybe you have a "compromised" elevator servo that is suffering blowback. Can't speak for the V2, but my V1 velox was a great tumbler as others have mentioned.
Nov 16, 2012, 11:13 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
maybe you have a "compromised" elevator servo that is suffering blowback. Can't speak for the V2, but my V1 velox was a great tumbler as others have mentioned.
That sounds reasonable.....and mine sure tumbles...

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Nov 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake
the curve is different for every engine but you could start like this (I run a dx8) your curve should look graphically like an exponential equation on a graphing calculator.

low-0%
25%-10%
50%-35%
75%-65%
High - 100%
Here's the throttle curve I tried yesterday for my DLE20 on my JR9503 TX:

L - 0.0%
1 - 10%
2 - 20%
3 - 30%
4 - 45%
5 - 65%
H - 100%

Throttle response felt much better with this curve in place.
Thanks for the tip.

McD
Nov 19, 2012, 06:57 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
Just put a another set in the plane. Went from the 985s to the 7985s still no better
l am working on the velox now hoping some of what l do will help.
Nov 19, 2012, 08:08 AM
We shall serve the Lord

V1 Yellow Velox 68" Parts

I stretched my knife edge a little too far so now I have some parts for sale.

I had converted my electric to gas but had not cut out the cowl yet, so the cowl and electric motor box were at home and are still pristeen. The right wing and CF wing tube are perfect as are the elevator and rudder and right wheel pant.

PM me if need any of these parts and we can work something out.

McD
Nov 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Sorry to hear that....I always hate to hear of a flier losing a plane....

Shoot me a PM as to how much you want for the cowl, wing and wing tube please

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....

Quick Reply