Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:39 PM
Scratch builder
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
Build Log
The Easy Twin!

The Easy Twin (4 min 42 sec)

The Easy Twin is a super simple twin motor plane capable of fpv. It is constructed from super cheap foam board that can be purchased at the dollar tree.

Dimensions:
Wingspan- 60”
Root-7.5”
Length-30”
Cg-2.5” back from leading edge

Electronics:
Motors –Turnigy 2822 1450kv (goes vertical)
Props – 8x4.5 and 8x4.5r
Battery- 3s 2200-4000mah
Servos- 9 gram
Esc- 2 30amp (overkill)

Without any fpv gear and a single 2650mah lipo I could get around 20 minute runtimes and with all the extra weight of the fpv gear the runtimes dropped down to 15 minutes. I plan on putting a 4000mah lipo in there to see what kind of runtimes I can get.

The goals when building this plane were to keep it as aerodynamic as possible to reduce drag. I taped the wings with packing tape in hopes of getting a smoother airflow over them. Also it provided better visibility and water resistance. The wing has a root chord of 7.5 inches and was constructed using the Armin Wing technique. It has a thickness of 3 pieces of foam board. The wing has a wooden spar. I made the wing in two pieces and then joined them together with tape and hot glue.

As seen in the picture bellow, the aileron servos are entirely inside of the wing to reduce drag.

The elevator servo is inside of the fuselage. The pushrod comes out of the rear of the plane.

The gopro is held in with a Velcro strap. The canopy was then cut to fit over the camera. I was surprised how well it all fit together in the end. Make sure when building this place to make the fuse completely and then cut the canopy off. This way it will sit flush. I use magnets and a rubber band to secure the canopy.

For fpv I use a 1280mhz 800mw transmitter. It is attached to the side of the aircraft as seen bellow. I didn’t put it inside of the fuse because it gets hot and needed the airflow.

The fpv battery and range link receiver are located behind the wing. I made a hatch so I could access them.

The rangelink antenna is attached to the vertical stabilizer as seen in this picture.

As said above, the motors are Turnigy 2822 1450kv. The mount is a piece of sheet metal bent at 90 degrees. Make sure you remove the tape before gluing the mount on. Hot glue doesn’t stick well to tape. (I learned the hard way)

The width of the fuse is 3 inches. This provides plenty of room for a camera and batteries.

I taped two credit cards to the bottom of the fuse to act as skids. Without these the foam board gets pretty ripped up from landings.

The wing is removable and attached using rubber bands. I used some chloroplast under the rubber bands so that they don’t put too much stress on the wing.

The plans are attached to this post. As of now, 3/18/14, the plans have not been tested yet. I have printed and cut them out but have not built a plane from them. As you can see, I have added notches in the plans so that the pieces will fit together a little nicer. The current plane I am flying does not have these notches. If somebody uses the plans to build this plane, let me know how well they work so I can make any adjustments.

Bixler13 is offline Find More Posts by Bixler13
to remove ads between posts