HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:23 PM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
388 Posts
Discussion
RC Technology at Compton High School

Here's a couple of photos of the students with a donated brand new mini quad! This is the first time they've flown anything real outside of a RC simulator. They are finding it much more difficult, but much more fun! They are in the process of researching, designing and then build a floatable UFO style quad. I managed to scrounge enough parts for these students to build the quad. Maybe after they finish their quad, they'll want to redesign it and make improvements in all disciplines. I want to see what the students imagination will dream up. Later on the instructor wants other students to build their own flying creations. He plans on continual reusing of the off-the-shelf electrical parts.
-Other students are working on an donated RC car. With minimal help from me, they manage to get it running and are operating it. We found a kit of an rc flying car. The students will use this kit as a base to build their own version. I will post photos when they make some tangible progress.
-They also received some robotics parts. The instructor wants some of the students to try robotics as well. Maybe sometime later I'll build a simple wood based robot for them to use as an example and let them take it from there, we'll see.
-All of the above RC gear was donated from generous fellow RCers. If you have any spare RC gear, please try donating it to a needy middle or high school, especially nowadays with their ever diminishing funds. If you have time, try giving them a hand too, you'll have fun and maybe learn something as well! And you might get more RC flying buddies!
-I believe there are plenty of students that are interested in RC technology, but have not personally seen an RC aircraft fly nor have any experience in building anything. Learning how all the RC components works and how to use them provides good hands-on experience and hopefully inspires them to continue their advance education in technology. I think in the near future there will be a big market for drones manufacturing and useage. After these students finish their quad, they will have the practical experience to help them find jobs in this field.

-Anyway here's the pictures:
rhokita is offline Find More Posts by rhokita
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2013, 04:13 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
575 Posts
Pretty cool to see kids getting into something like that.
I teach Physics at Arleta High School (San Fernando Valley), and I'm thinking of getting a program like that going also. Already got a pile of used parts, just waiting on administrator approval.
trident58 is online now Find More Posts by trident58