Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:47 AM
United Kingdom, England, IOW
Joined Jun 2011
130 Posts
Help!
Vantex Bat Power nitro boat help

Hi all,

Not been on for awhile, Famly ect

Im normaly a plane and heli guy, I desided to try boats as iv had one or two electric ones befor and wanted a change. I brought this boat cheap ish of a friend of a friend, as he never got around to using it. The engine will be on its 3rd tank and it only 3 months old. Iv seen on here but not sure were, that thay dont have a good rep didnt i know this befor getting it... My falt... It has a cpv racing engine .18 and futaba radio ect and a tuned pip i think. I got her running today down the pond and though well i give her a ago at running in ect... low speeds.... As put her into the water she stalled. So i took her back and turnd up the idle thinking i had it a bit low but was faily sure it wasnt. So i tryed it agine and when went but she didnt sound right in the water. i slowed down and she died, Not happy... As i was the walking out to knee deep to get back, ruddy cold... Im sure on what you cant and cant do apart from the normal as iv had nitro befor, i was getting her i noticed that in my opinon the exhaust was in the water and the chamber was taking on water, not normal in my opinion. All help wanted and please see pic for reference and rought idea on were the water comes to. Thanks and happy moddeling.....
kieranb is offline Find More Posts by kieranb
Last edited by kieranb; Feb 05, 2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Adding Pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
130 Posts
Iv done some searching around on the internet and iv found that its the back preasher on the exhaust from the water that is causing the problem, Now its wheather the boat is some how to heavy its the reason for it sitting to low in the water or its due to the exhaust sitting to low on the boat. Iv also seen some of these boats that the exhaust come out the side. Please advise on whats the best way to over come this.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:28 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,502 Posts
back pressure is how we used to stop nitro motors... finger over the exhaust at low revs...
perhaps a reroute of the exhaust out the top of the boat,
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:06 AM
Joined Jun 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
back pressure is how we used to stop nitro motors... finger over the exhaust at low revs...
perhaps a reroute of the exhaust out the top of the boat,
You confermed what i was thinking, Now its rerouting the exhaust and patching the old hole, Any ideas and im not seeing that exhaust is going to move any were else ,[Please see pic, If needed more can be taken] If not then another exhaust will be needed any ideas on that people,
Thanks and happy moddeling
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:26 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
When running the exhaust should not be in the water so I doubt that that is your problem. Launch the boat with a slight forward motion and get on the power and on the plane.
Set the engine rich to break in and then successively lean it out.
You cannot setup an engine on shore with a boat you need to run and adjust from the performance on the water.
w3bby is offline Find More Posts by w3bby
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:55 AM
Joined Jun 2011
130 Posts
Im not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3bby View Post
When running the exhaust should not be in the water so I doubt that that is your problem. Launch the boat with a slight forward motion and get on the power and on the plane.
Set the engine rich to break in and then successively lean it out.
You cannot setup an engine on shore with a boat you need to run and adjust from the performance on the water.
My only reason for saying that is you can hear the differecen in the engine when its in the water. Like its muffeled, Now if its tunning then grate but if you see the pic of the back of the boat it sits in the water, but whats not shown is its at an angle. Its like the exhaust is to heavy and its pulling that side down and under please see new pic.

One more note, Its the exhaust is the problem then, I know on cars ect thay have a rubber tube angled on the end of it ponting up. Could i use soming like that. Please see other pic.

Meany thanks and happy moddeling
Last edited by kieranb; Feb 06, 2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: adding text
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:26 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
The engine will tend to sound different on the water as it is becomes loaded, water is thick compared to air (why you can't setup the motor on shore).

You need to get it on the plane and running. You should then find the boat will run level as the exhaust weight will help to counteract the torque reaction of the boat to the motor. You may need to adjust the trim tabs as well.

If you have a club nearby pay them a visit and get some help, practical, on the spot advice is 1000's of times more useful than written.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Jun 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
The engine will tend to sound different on the water as it is becomes loaded, water is thick compared to air (why you can't setup the motor on shore).

You need to get it on the plane and running. You should then find the boat will run level as the exhaust weight will help to counteract the torque reaction of the boat to the motor. You may need to adjust the trim tabs as well.

If you have a club nearby pay them a visit and get some help, practical, on the spot advice is 1000's of times more useful than written.
Im not to sure on the clubs around here for boats, planes ect yer but ill have a look into that. Thanks for your advice and ill do more reserch into boats and the running and tunning of them. Does any one know much about the engine and or any good theads/vids of running in and tunning.

Thanks and happy moddling
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:12 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
Have a look on MPBA, SWAMBC or ask on the English based Mayhem Forum.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:31 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,823 Posts
OK, first of all, it's cold over there this time of the year almost like most of the northern part of the US. This means that you're going to have to really richen the carb in order to get it to run well at those temps.
As far as a prop goes, I'd give an Octura X-637/3 prop a try.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Jun 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
Have a look on MPBA, SWAMBC or ask on the English based Mayhem Forum.
Thank you, ill have a look a bit later at them. You were right on the exhaust and at the tunning as i went back out to day lol to waist deep this time

Just looked on MPBA and there is not one for the island
And the SWAMBC only do Sail, Electric Steam
Ill keep looking though
Last edited by kieranb; Feb 07, 2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: More to say
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Jun 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
OK, first of all, it's cold over there this time of the year almost like most of the northern part of the US. This means that you're going to have to really richen the carb in order to get it to run well at those temps.
As far as a prop goes, I'd give an Octura X-637/3 prop a try.
Thank you Sir,
That was going to be my question for today, As well as runing in the carb needs to be rich and she would only go as slow as a good walking pace in the water, Other wise she would stall. So my question was going to be about props and that I think the prop is to much an i right and ill have a look at the one you stated.
Iv just found a prop looking almost the same as that one in my box of bits. Ill still get that one, Its a bit smaller than my one the pitch is a bit less and the width is a bit less. No names or sizes with it other that what i could measure. Would this be worth ago. Please see pic

new prop orderded and awaiting testing on old and new pro., Any sugesting on flex shaft lube as im doing all of the maintenance aswell, As im not happy with the way the hole boat was done.

Thanks guys for your help
Last edited by kieranb; Feb 10, 2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: an update