HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:12 PM
Livin ta fly
sparkx38's Avatar
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2011
187 Posts
Help!
Saito 82 problems

I have a Saito 82 that I am having problems with. It started with a back firing issue. I adjusted the valves with the manufactures feeler gauge. Now its not back firing but It runs really sloppy on the high end. I can not get it to run right above 1/2 throttle. I was running Omega 15% or powermaster 20/20 YS/Saito blend.
Any ideas?
sparkx38 is offline Find More Posts by sparkx38
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Wichita Falls
Joined Aug 2007
10 Posts
have you checked the timing?
sloan377 is offline Find More Posts by sloan377
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
SrTelemaster's Avatar
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkx38 View Post
I have a Saito 82 that I am having problems with. It started with a back firing issue. I adjusted the valves with the manufactures feeler gauge. Now its not back firing but It runs really sloppy on the high end. I can not get it to run right above 1/2 throttle. I was running Omega 15% or powermaster 20/20 YS/Saito blend.
Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloan377 View Post
have you checked the timing?
Unless he has dismantled the engine, there shouldn't be a timing issue.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:55 AM
Registered User
I TOBOR's Avatar
Joined Feb 2007
2,548 Posts
The High Speed needle is too rich, the valve lash will never have anything to do with kickback/backfiring unless you get them too tight. Dan is correct, the timing is the last thing you should check.
Lean the HS needle at full throttle one click at a time and sneak up on the peak. Leave time between changes for the engine to stabilize, then go another click. When you reach the peak one more click will make it slow down about 50 rpm, go rich one click, that is your peak.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:55 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Wichita Falls
Joined Aug 2007
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster View Post
Unless he has dismantled the engine, there shouldn't be a timing issue.
sorry, I assumed it had already been apart, my bad. Only time I've ever had one backfire was when I had the gear off a notch or 2 after a rebuild. I failed to read where he had already resolved that.
sloan377 is offline Find More Posts by sloan377
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:30 PM
Livin ta fly
sparkx38's Avatar
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2011
187 Posts
Thanks guys I'll try that. Will probaly be weekend after this weekend before I get a chance to check it out but will let you know what I come up with.
sparkx38 is offline Find More Posts by sparkx38
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:37 PM
Livin ta fly
sparkx38's Avatar
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2011
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
The High Speed needle is too rich, the valve lash will never have anything to do with kickback/backfiring unless you get them too tight. Dan is correct, the timing is the last thing you should check.
Lean the HS needle at full throttle one click at a time and sneak up on the peak. Leave time between changes for the engine to stabilize, then go another click. When you reach the peak one more click will make it slow down about 50 rpm, go rich one click, that is your peak.
Whats a good starting point on the needles? Seems like the back firing issue started about the time the engine got broke in so you may be right about HS being to rich. I tried to dial in the high speed needle till I was blue in the face but just could not get it to smooth out. Perhaps I was adjusting to fast and not giving the needle change a chance to show its effects.
sparkx38 is offline Find More Posts by sparkx38
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:10 AM
Registered User
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
Try a new glow plug.
weswanson is offline Find More Posts by weswanson
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:04 PM
Livin ta fly
sparkx38's Avatar
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2011
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weswanson View Post
Try a new glow plug.
Brand new glow plug in it.
sparkx38 is offline Find More Posts by sparkx38
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Saito 82 idle problem huck1133 Engines 12 Sep 08, 2008 10:42 AM
Help! Saito-82 + Pitts muffler problem, need help!! juvaknin Engines 20 May 09, 2007 11:38 AM
Discussion my saito 82's problem opto3394 Engines 6 Nov 10, 2006 07:42 AM
Help! Saito 82 throttle problems cjneal Engines 19 Nov 06, 2006 09:42 AM