Just subscribing.

Way too much to read in one sitting.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:29 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1 Posts
Hello all,
I am very new to all this so this post was just what I was looking for, thank you for compiling it. One question though, I want my quadcopter to lift as much as possible. How do I find the correct mix of motor and propeller?
Thanks again,
Levi
livivhim is offline Find More Posts by livivhim
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:38 PM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
1,819 Posts
http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.htm

This program will give you a basic idea of the trade offs involved between all up weight, power storage/use, motor and prop size differences and how changing different components will have corresponding changes in liftoff, hover, mixed flight, and active flight times, payload. There is no perfect solution.
jbrumberg is offline Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jbrumberg; Feb 10, 2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:50 AM
Joined Jan 2014
3 Posts
how do you get the quad to work?

Ive tryed to build by first quad, but i cant get it to fly proporly. i use a 4x25 q-brain esc, an spectrum dx5 Tx and a spectrum Rx, a hobbyking bluebord V3.0 FC, and hextronik 18A motors (im "trying" to fly in an X style). when i try to lift of, eather it spinns or it just tilts to the side and i need to stop it, i also have problems with the gain on it, so if you know how to lower it, id love to know. it is pretty werd because all my gyros are set right and the motors spinn propper too.

(I use the QuadControl V4.7 firmware by Kapteinkuk)
LBmachine is offline Find More Posts by LBmachine
Old Feb 11, 2014, 07:09 AM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
1,819 Posts
LBmachine- There may be a "mis-read" between what the Qboard is identifying as motor 1 and what the FCB is seeing as motor number 1. This was going on with this builder and his Q-brain ESC in this thread. I hope that this helps. Good Luck.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2098840
jbrumberg is offline Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
24 Posts
great thread. been fiddling with my quad for a while to get it to fly how i like it, ive turned up some settings to get me more maneuverability from the quad, but now have a wobble on hover that wasnt there before. any advice?
thankyou
collective itch is offline Find More Posts by collective itch
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
6,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by collective itch View Post
great thread. been fiddling with my quad for a while to get it to fly how i like it, ive turned up some settings to get me more maneuverability from the quad, but now have a wobble on hover that wasnt there before. any advice?
thankyou
Sorted it out yet? Sounds to me like you turned up PIDs and that doesn't affect maneuverability. Set PIDs too high and you get wobble.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 30, 2014, 05:10 PM
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Chris: I have watched all your videos and want to thank you for the wealth of information you have provided.
A quick question. My winter project will be to build a quad for carrying a small video camera. I have a machine shop (all manual machines no CNC) and have Ti to work with. What are your thoughts about Ti Alloys? I have a WL 262 that I am learning with, but the urge to build one is approaching.
Thank you.
Derrill is offline Find More Posts by Derrill
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:41 PM
Joined Jun 2011
6,647 Posts
I guess it depends on weight. Sounds interesting, though. Keep us posted!

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 01, 2014, 09:34 AM
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Yes it will. I most likely be spending more time designing a light weight frame than making it. Although to cut a piece from the Ti slab that I have takes the bandsaw 8 hours to cut. And the sheet metal Ti that I have has to heated to red hot to bend.
Being an old retired fart I have time to engage on these time consuming projects. I will design this summer and start next winter. Here in Boise, Idaho it's to cold to ride ATVs in the winter.
Derrill is offline Find More Posts by Derrill
Old Apr 04, 2014, 11:00 AM
Joined Mar 2014
2 Posts
Soon I will have my first Quad built by Chris I was going to do it myself but heck for my first why not get the pro to do it Now all I need is a Taranis radio but no one seems to have one in stock?
I also bought a ladybird of HK to fly first That should be here any day. cant wait

This is what I normally fly
Galvo is offline Find More Posts by Galvo
Last edited by Galvo; Apr 04, 2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 11:48 AM
Joined Jun 2011
6,647 Posts
I'll trade ya a few more quads for that thing, Sir.

Welcome to RCG, Galvo!

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 05, 2014, 06:26 AM
Joined Mar 2014
2 Posts
Thanks Chris for all your help hopefully I can work it all out but your help and the tutorials have helped tremendously. I am still completely confused by everything but should be up and crashing in no time I am still blown away by how well these things fly and what they can do in the right hands. And hopefully after 6 months or so I can possibly build a a filming platform although my editing is crap Anyway this is one flight I had on my beast that I will remember for ever! It starts after a few pics at the 53sec (family camping trip) But this is some of the coastline I want to film with a quad one day.
Red Bluff 2012 (8 min 52 sec)
Galvo is offline Find More Posts by Galvo
Old Apr 07, 2014, 03:40 AM
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
3D printed quadcopter - which one for a newbie?

I'd like to have a go at building a quadcopter and since I have a 3D printer now, I'd like to try and print the plastic parts and then add the electronics. I've never done anything like this before, so really grateful for this thread and forum!
I can't decide whether to build this one which looks good:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:19161/#instructions
Or this one which isn't as pretty but looks to have more "flexiblity" with electronic setup:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:234867
What I would like to achieve is a quad that can fly pretty easily (as I said, I have no experience) and that I can attach a point of view camera to and one that can record some video and take stills too if possible. I just want to have a bit of fun both with the build and with the flying!
Any thoughts or advice for a newbie would be fantastic!
voyager1 is offline Find More Posts by voyager1