2,909 Posts
I'm sure they're not very tough....probably fun though while they last
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:23 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Well I have everything for them as well, so that makes them even better. Although the Crack Yak from Twisted Hobbies is calling my name. I have the pitts and it is simply amazing. But that will be a little more dough.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:30 AM
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined May 2008
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Yes, and no pull to the canopy or push to the LG at KE...Also, you are supposed to do flat turns without dropping altitude in the same throttle range with mix on.
Thanks Vince, now I know where to go...
dr-squared is offline Find More Posts by dr-squared
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:26 PM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
580 Posts
got to run 2 batts through the P-51 today, took the whole family, I have to hand it to DR DAN- the 500 mah battery works great!! you can slow waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down, loved it!! and the kids liked it too!! oh yeah , Tried an 8X6 prop and I really liked how it handled, I could maintain altitude under 1/4 throttle.
newguy2012 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2012
Last edited by newguy2012; Nov 04, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:35 PM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,758 Posts
Heres my Depron Duplicate Piaget and it's so! much more Precise and stiffer and it makes the fact it's delicate worth it (plus from flying the EPP Piaget i don't really crash any more)
and Plus because its lighter i get longer flight times on the same battery even when im practicing mare hardcore oriented 3D !
Im Probably not going to add a full paint-scheme as it looks Awesome in white (maybe some orientation Stripes)
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:50 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
580 Posts
I did notice the wings flex alot on my girl, scared me!!!
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Aug 2004
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared View Post
It probably ends up the same as the unresolvable expo or no expo personal preference thing.
Having played around with expo on my Venus, I've come to the conclusion that even the smallest amount of expo really doesn't work for me. I'm wondering since I've small hands/short fingers, any transmitter change that makes me need to move the sticks any more than necessary really doesn't work for my hands/fingers. The first time I dialed in about 20% expo just to try it out I initially panicked that the plane wasn't responding the way I expected... a couple of seconds later before I realized I had to move the sticks further to get the response I needed. Flew a couple more times then decided expo definitely not for me. Dual rates, sure. But expo, no, not for me, don't like it.
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,135 Posts
I use no D/R or Expo on my wirdbirds and sport plane..but with 3D planes, I need at least 50% in Expo to smooth out the flight, especially for harrier, hover and rolling harrier. Expo setting is kind of personal preference, I found it doesn't really matter for small/slow foamie planes since you have tons of time to react. but for larger 3D plane like the 43" Yak, Swift, Tempo or balsa planes (minimum 300W+ output with large control surfaces), my fingers are too heavy for most of the time. What is the AUW on your Venus? I am think about indoor flying for the winter.
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined May 2008
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy2012 View Post
I did notice the wings flex alot on my girl, scared me!!!
You must have been pushing her, that'll happen when you're having fun! I prefer the lighter feel of a lighter plane sometimes, but without higher mAh the flight times go down, no big deal for me. Stalled mine again and repairing it...found out the carbon reinforcement is very small (1.5mm x .75mm) making the front weak. I gutted it out and am replacing it with the size used in the Bf109 (1mm x 4mm) and adding a piece under the battery. Adds maybe 6-10 g with adhesive, didn't like that but it's going to help because I fly very low and sometimes, too slow, and, apparently, don't worry as much about the ground as I should!

On the 3D side of things, even though I'd often used expo in the past, I'm finding it hampers my ability to hover, at least with my throws the way they are...a precise feel is my friend. It's taking me a little while to find the sweet spot trade-off between amount of throw and too much sensitivity, but I suspect that is part of the art of setup on these things.

Still too much fun, whatever you're flying...chow ya'll!
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:34 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
580 Posts
yes I was pushing it a bit! I did add some reinforcment under the batt I got tired of the whole front end snapping off even in a minor "crash"/landing and that seems to be working well,
not sure if you remember my roll question a few posts back, I think I know whats going on, I have the ailerons dialed waaaaay down, when I ge tth enerve I will put them at 100% and pray!!!

J
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy2012 View Post
yes I was pushing it a bit! I did add some reinforcment under the batt I got tired of the whole front end snapping off even in a minor "crash"/landing and that seems to be working well,
not sure if you remember my roll question a few posts back, I think I know whats going on, I have the ailerons dialed waaaaay down, when I ge tth enerve I will put them at 100% and pray!!!

J
I have the same problem of front end snapping off with my Yak, my best solution is to glass that section up. I bought the lightest fiberglass cloth from eBay, cut some straps with a very sharp knife and then used thin CA to glass them over the broken area. I wore a medical glove and used my fingers to spray the glue. This way you would only add a few grams and the result is almost invisible. I also use water base PU to glass my EPO planes and cowls, but WBPU would be too heavy for EPP.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:40 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,614 Posts
sbach foamy fun in the dome

Tech-one Sbach pilot Joe Smith (5 min 39 sec)
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
sbach foamy fun in the dome

http://youtu.be/9ykWDiRd130
For some reason I thought of dragonfly while watching Joe flying. Great as usual, thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined May 2008
245 Posts
Yup, that's my only complaint about my plane is the weak front...it fixes easily but I get tired of it. Sounds like all of us with the thick fuses suffer from it to one extent or the other. If my thicker carbon strip mod doesn't do it I'm going with Vince's CA glass method. However, good to hear you've entered the flogging zone with your plane Jason...any of this EPP repairs beats balsa and covering fixes, that's all we had a while back...way back...farther...okay stop...
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined May 2008
245 Posts
Wow, that flyin's what I'm talkin' 'bout...