HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:11 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,209 Posts
Kevin/ John thanks for the tips. That will be the next task to get the foam in shape. It will be easy to slice the LE with the hot wire cutter also.

John, I’m looking forward to glassing the wings, what cloth weight do you recommend? I also realized that I will need the thin servos for the ailerons. This wing is thin out at the mid section. I'm thinking about layering a top skin of 3mm dapron on the foam core’s to thicken the entire wing. When I mentioned the carbon rod it was more for holding the wings on to the fuse structure. Here is the pic of what I was thinking with the carbon rod slipping into an aluminum tube glued into the wing.

Stuart, glad to see I’m not the only newbie here.

Hey Deuce, agree completely the Aurora is very user friendly and packed with features. Greg and I had to contact Futaba about a funny set up with the Thud that would have been a cinch with the Auror radio.
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; Jan 07, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:57 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
19,979 Posts
great work around for the doors ...looks like the other guys have answered your ques. i agree also with whats been said .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:03 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
19,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmeano_from_MO View Post
Kevin/ John thanks for the tips. That will be the next task to get the foam in shape. It will be easy to slice the LE with the hot wire cutter also.

John, Iím looking forward to glassing the wings, what cloth weight do you recommend? I also realized that I will need the thin servos for the ailerons. This wing is thin out at the mid section. I'm thinking about layering a top skin of 3mm dapron on the foam coreís to thicken the entire wing. When I mentioned the carbon rod it was more for holding the wings on to the fuse structure. Here is the pic of what I was thinking with the carbon rod slipping into an aluminum tube glued into the wing.

Stuart, glad to see Iím not the only newbie here.

Hey Deuce, agree completely the Aurora is very user friendly and packed with features. Greg and I had to contact Futaba about a funny set up with the Thud that would have been a cinch with the Auror radio.

id use .75 oz. cloth and see if you can get some EZKote ...Brent is using this to glass Ron 101's F-18 super light and eazy to use no mixing .yeah your air foils are kinda different,did you draw them yourself? the top should be curved more and the thicker part further back .but i think these are the same as your 105 right ? so at least you know they work ,but it would fit servos better if the top curve was different.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:51 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,576 Posts
Yep, 3/4 oz cloth.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:45 AM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
id use .75 oz. cloth and see if you can get some EZKote ...Brent is using this to glass Ron 101's F-18 super light and eazy to use no mixing .yeah your air foils are kinda different,did you draw them yourself? the top should be curved more and the thicker part further back .but i think these are the same as your 105 right ? so at least you know they work ,but it would fit servos better if the top curve was different.
Rodger,

I will look for the supplies to glass these with your recommendations. I hope to get them done in a few weeks. The air foil was sketched by me at the root but the shape looks ok overall. Itís hard to show in the pic. I was planning on adding some thickness to the overall wing, itís to thin. I will add more on the top and make sure there is a nice arch in the LE and mid section of the wing. On the Thunder Chief we were looking for a thick wing to support the gear and aid in lift more like a trainer style wing. It worked for that one.

Thanks for pointing out areas of concern.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:26 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,576 Posts
Jeff,
I hand draw almost all my airfoils. I know it's a jet but a nice rounded blunt LE flies a lot better than a sharp one. I always put the thickness of my airfoils at 30% of chord. Works well for me.
Just my 2 cents.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:26 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
19,979 Posts
i have a set of "French curves" they have a bunch of different shapes to them ...i use those when drawing my own airfoils.somtimes i start with a real airfoil,but yeah some times you need to change them to fit gear/servo ect. and taylor your flight qualities. i agree with John on a rounded LE. i tried a sharp one once ...it did some crazy stuff.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:59 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,209 Posts
I got the wings that I hotwired to thin covered with 3mm dapron top and bottom. The balsa leading edge is nice and round. Don’t want no crazy stuff. They are ready for wire and spar tubes. I will sheet the cores with 1/16 balsa. I need to double check the sweep angle to the centerline to make sure it is correct. They look like they have too much angle. One reason I like this jet is it resembles lines like a sport jet and I hope handling characteristics.
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; Mar 10, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:19 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
23,576 Posts
Jeff,
What is the thickness of your airfoil at about 30% of root chord? Reason I ask is that it looks like the T6 1/2" tube w/socket would work. Then you wouldn't need to find a socket for the carbon tube. Just my 2 cents.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:23 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,843 Posts
That's lookin' good Jeff.

Glad to see you making progress. ...wish I could say the same for my MiG.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:54 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,705 Posts
Hi Jeff,
The wings look pretty good. I now have one of those huge fuselages laid up. First side came in at 7 3/8 oz, I slacked off on the weight reduction routine for the second side and it weighs 8.5 oz. I'm happy with it but taped together it really makes me question the wisdom of going with a 90mm fan in this thing. Heck, my E-turbax fits in this thing. We'll see how yours flys.

Dan Eaton
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:29 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
19,979 Posts
wings look good ...heck i'd just glass the depron with 1.5 oz. cloth and call it good.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:18 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Jeff,
What is the thickness of your airfoil at about 30% of root chord? Reason I ask is that it looks like the T6 1/2" tube w/socket would work. Then you wouldn't need to find a socket for the carbon tube. Just my 2 cents.

J
John,
I found the solution for the wing sock tube using a ľin carbon rod. Turns out 9/32 X .014 aluminum tube works when I bond heatshrink over the carbon rod and the fit is good. Thanks for your thoughts and help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
That's lookin' good Jeff.

Glad to see you making progress. ...wish I could say the same for my MiG.
Julian,
This has been a long term project for sure. Keep at you’re as well. I have to say that every part of this build has been a challenge and a I have learned many new techniques. First time casting a fuse, laying up a large amount of glass and foam cutting wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatond View Post
Hi Jeff,
The wings look pretty good. I now have one of those huge fuselages laid up. First side came in at 7 3/8 oz, I slacked off on the weight reduction routine for the second side and it weighs 8.5 oz. I'm happy with it but taped together it really makes me question the wisdom of going with a 90mm fan in this thing. Heck, my E-turbax fits in this thing. We'll see how yours flys.

Dan Eaton
Dan,
Good to hear you got the fuse half’s made. It is large but still a foot shorter than the Thud with a 90mm. I do think it could take a larger fan but that just means cost goes up but then again Mike did set me up with top of the line gear for mine. I’m looking forward to watching your progress. You might just catch up to me as slow as this is going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
wings look good ...heck i'd just glass the depron with 1.5 oz. cloth and call it good.
Rodger,
They do look good and the pic’s don’t do them justice.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:07 AM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,705 Posts
Hi Jeff,
where did you get your canopy?

Dan
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:15 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatond View Post
Hi Jeff,
where did you get your canopy?

Dan
Dan,

I got it at Mark Twain Hobby. I could not find it on there web page but it is for a generic sport or warbird. Its is very close to the correct shape and one less thing to make.