HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2003, 06:29 PM
Seattle
Joined Apr 2003
87 Posts
SuperBrain Peak Charger, anyone use one?

I am looking into this charger, anyone have one?
Likes or dislikes?
richphoto is offline Find More Posts by richphoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2003, 07:42 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
I bought one a while back for $50 and it seems to be a pretty good AC/DC charger for the money except for four things:

1) Gets kinda hot when charging multiple battery packs back-to-back. I added a cooling fan to mine and no longer have that problem.

2) The default delta peak setting for Nimh is too high at 40mV; causes the batteries to overheat. You need to manually set it for 10 or 20mV. Problem is, you need to do this everytime you charge another pack.

3) This charger has no memory, so whatever custom settings you set will be lost whenever you power down the charger.

4) Will occasionally false peak with Nimh batteries. You may need to restart the charge cycle a couple of times before it will "take".
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Apr 23, 2003, 09:11 PM
Monticello, FL USA
Joined Jul 2002
18 Posts
Hello,

I have used one of these for nearly 2 years now and have had zero problems. It is limited to 8 cell packs but other than that I have been happy. Babblefish's remarks are right on, but I think you get alot of bang for the bucks.
sluufuut is offline Find More Posts by sluufuut
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:29 PM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
For the same price (cheaper in some lhs) this is a much better deal:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLD5&P=7

10 memory, tells you how much it puts back into the pack, etc.

You might also consider the Wattage PF12 which will do more than 8 cells.
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Last edited by Peter Khor; Apr 23, 2003 at 11:37 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 06:42 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
For about $40, look at the Hitec CG340. No memories, no fancy settings. Just a simple, easy to use charger that does up to 16 cells. All you do is select the cell type, punch the button, and dial in the current. It does the rest, and never false peaks.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1