SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2008, 03:25 AM
Find More Posts by daves_revenge
Fort Langley BC.
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
Help!
Northwestern Scratch Build

Hello everyone, first off I would like to say that I have been surfing the forums for about a year now. I have been extremely impressed by all I have seen and read. I am what you could call a newbie, but never the less I just wanted to throw this out there.

I am thinking of trying my hand at a scratch built rc model. I have been a fan on the show Deadliest Catch for some time, and i think the northwestern is the best looking boat in the fleet. So naturally when I started thinking of building a model it was at the top of my list.

To my knowledge their isn't a kit much like her so I'm going to try make my own plans and eventually build.

so here's what I have so far, any input, suggestions, or criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Do you think the Hansen Brothers would mind?

[IMG]Northwestern.jpg[/IMG]
daves_revenge is offline Find More Posts by daves_revenge
Last edited by daves_revenge; Jan 07, 2008 at 04:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2008, 05:46 AM
Find More Posts by RhumbLine
SoAl
Joined Mar 2007
247 Posts
daves revenge, First, Welcome to RC Groups. That is going to be a nice build, and your first sketch is very impressive. I'll be watching your progress, and can't wait to see the next installment.

Rhumbline
RhumbLine is offline Find More Posts by RhumbLine
Old Jan 07, 2008, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by marinaru_ro
Romania, HD, Sāntandrei
Joined Apr 2006
520 Posts
Hello daves revenge and wellcome!
Are you planning to drawing the lines after pictures?If so i might be able to help with some suggestions.
Good luck!
George
marinaru_ro is offline Find More Posts by marinaru_ro
Old Jan 07, 2008, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by ooby
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
Daves, welcome to the forum. What are your thoughts on dimensions?

ooby
ooby is offline Find More Posts by ooby
Old Jan 07, 2008, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,370 Posts
Hi Dave, welcome! You draw real well.

I'm sure the Hansen family would be honored that someone wants to build a replica of their boat.

But since the show, everything has become so commercialized. ($$$) I would not be surprised if their is a license fee involved if you ever decided to 'share' plans or anything with the Northwestern name attached.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 07, 2008, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by keith S
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,872 Posts
Welcome Dave! Going to be a nice build when you start the hull and other sections. How big or what scale are you going to be building this in?
In what i know of the Hansens, they would probebly thrilled to know that some one is doing a model of their boat!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jan 07, 2008, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
ever thaught of contacting the Hansen family for any information that you need, such as photographs. after the king crab season, or orpelio season, she returns to Washington.

is this http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/northwestern.html any use?
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Jan 07, 2008, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by keith S
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,872 Posts
Not a bad idea to try and contact them. The boat will probrbly not be back in Seattle until February-march at some time. I know in listening to the crabbers at Fishexpo in November that the King crab season was not going as well and that the boats were taking more time to get to the quota due to bad fishing and weather. New season starts soon on Discovery Channel!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Jan 07, 2008, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
great, the season in the uk atm is the one when the cougar ace was dragged to dutch harbor
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Jan 07, 2008, 04:41 PM
Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy
Joined Apr 2007
1,388 Posts
I think the Northwestern is a stretched MARCO 108(???). You might start trolling the internet for the plans and/or images. If you can find some information on the MARCO crabber, adding the lengthened section shouldn't be too much trouble.

Some of the naval architects in WA State (since MARCO was a WA State shipyard) might have some information since a lot of these boats have had work done on them and they need updated USCG certifications and loading calcs. Don't be discouraged if they won't share. Keep trying.

This looks like it would be a good project. I hope you are able to find some builder plans or enough reference material to make it go together easily.
Tugboat Andy is offline Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy
Old Jan 07, 2008, 05:30 PM
Fort Langley BC.
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost 2501
ever thaught of contacting the Hansen family for any information that you need, such as photographs. after the king crab season, or orpelio season, she returns to Washington.

is this http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/northwestern.html any use?

Yup, sure did, haven't done it yet thought. Don't get me wrong, I fully intend to but its January. Opi season!

I don't think they'll have time to check their e-mail for a few weeks.
Old Jan 07, 2008, 05:38 PM
Fort Langley BC.
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat Andy
I think the Northwestern is a stretched MARCO 108(???). You might start trolling the internet for the plans and/or images. If you can find some information on the MARCO crabber, adding the lengthened section shouldn't be too much trouble.

Some of the naval architects in WA State (since MARCO was a WA State shipyard) might have some information since a lot of these boats have had work done on them and they need updated USCG certifications and loading calcs. Don't be discouraged if they won't share. Keep trying.

This looks like it would be a good project. I hope you are able to find some builder plans or enough reference material to make it go together easily.
Before I go any further I would just like to thank everyone for the worm welcome.

I'm going for about a scale of 1:36 with the length of the original being 125 ft. that should make the model about 42 inches in length, 10 inches wide, and fourteen inches from keel the bridge.

Your right Andy, it is a stretched Marco 108. Actually it was stretched twice! The first time it was stretched to 118 ft. A new bridge was added to the top of the existing one and the front of the hull was also extended upwards. The second time it was stretched to 125 ft. so it could hold the legislated maximum number of pots per vessel of 250.
Old Jan 07, 2008, 05:42 PM
Fort Langley BC.
Joined Jan 2007
43 Posts
Sorry lost track.

Andy I tried looking for a contact at Marco, but all I found was a newspaper story about how they had closed a few years ago. The owner retired in his eighties stating that the ship building business in the area had dried up.
Old Jan 07, 2008, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,829 Posts
Dave,

Try contacting any maritime museums or marine historical societies in the area the company was in and see if Marco donated their archives. Some companies are farsighted are good about such things.

BTW welcome to RC groups
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jan 07, 2008, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy
Joined Apr 2007
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_revenge
Sorry lost track.

Andy I tried looking for a contact at Marco, but all I found was a newspaper story about how they had closed a few years ago. The owner retired in his eighties stating that the ship building business in the area had dried up.
MARCO had a good run but, unfortunately they are gone. Its a shame since they built quite a few boats for Crowley Maritime. If MARCO didn't do the lengthening, you might try to find out which company or yard did the work.

BTW - I googled images for MARCO 108. I found an article about a guy who bought a 108 during the crab buyback and converted it to a yacht. You might check it out...it mentions the name of a MARCO designer/engineer who might help you out, that is if the Hansen's aren't able to...
Tugboat Andy is offline Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy