SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2008, 05:17 PM
"I Am The Animal!" in training
Winston-Salem, NC
Joined Sep 2008
1,008 Posts
Help!
towerpro brushless motor wires

i had an issue with ny towerpro. it ended with two of the three copper wires in the black wire being broken close to the motor. it still goes, just not to much past half throttle. could i get it fixed? like resolder the wires?
kinda sucks since i just got it.

in the pic, i circled the area where it broke.
i really hope this doesnt mean its dead, or needs to be totally rewound...
helifryer is offline Find More Posts by helifryer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2009, 05:24 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,176 Posts
It could be repaired, but....

You need access to the breaks, you also need to be sure which connects to which, and the enamel covering on the wire will need to be striped back before solder will take.

You need to scrape the enamel off, only about a 1mm, just enough to tin and solder it. Then cover the solder joint with something like epoxy to insulate it, (it needs to withstand temperature so don't use just glue).

So yes you could repair it, just take your time, but you will need a magnifying glass, a fine tipped soldering iron......and a lot of patience and luck.

As for possible rewinding, look and ask in the Electric Motor Design and Construction forum they should be able to tell you everything you need to do.

Alternative is to bite the bullet and buy another, then consider rewinding it into a different motor, (hotter ?, milder ?), for some other model later, don't bin it.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 01, 2009, 09:47 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
It might be best to rewind it completely - if you want to replace it exactly I'd go with the gold colored version of this 2409-18 which looks like a real motor, is better made, and performs a lot better too.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Jan 01, 2009, 09:56 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,236 Posts
That's really common on those motors. I have 4 that way. The wire as you see is fine, cheap, and some of them don't get attached very well.
I have soldered them but it's a pain and doesn't seem to hold. Frankly, I'd get another from HeadsUP for less than $15 with shipping.

Rewinding is an option and it'll be a better motor if you do it right but that's not a great one to start out on.

BTW-DO NOT run a motor like that. It'll toast your ESC.

Now you got 2 pieces of crap. Those TP motor failures were the beginning of my investigation into ESC failure
It's a hidden downside to cheap motors.

ANY motor that has a bad connection or breaks a wire can do that. You would be AMAZED at how many folks have their motors come loose from the mount and spin the wires off.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Last edited by flydiver; Jan 01, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 05:32 AM
The Flying Kiwi
Mt Maunganui New Zealand
Joined Oct 2005
785 Posts
Put the wire on an asprin and hit it with a fine tinned soldering iron. The Asprin dissolves the varnish amazingly well. I got this trick from RCGroups awhile back.

The tinned wires are easy to solder back together, but remember to support them. I used to use fine shrink sleeve, then superglu the shrink by the center of the stator
Ralph Walton is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Walton
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:22 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,680 Posts
Real Aspirin, not just any pain killer.
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Jan 05, 2009, 03:29 PM
"I Am The Animal!" in training
Winston-Salem, NC
Joined Sep 2008