HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2004, 09:11 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
A cruel, cruel hobby- FoamtanaS Maiden Flight

FoamtanaS (40" ws Depron - AUW 13.5 oz)- AXI 2212/34, Apogee 3s 830, CC Ph 10

After a very stressful morning in the Mexico household I went to the field for a pre work maiden. A woman running 2 big Rottweilers had me sitting in my car for 20 minutes cursing and waiting for her to leave. It was pretty gray but no wind.

It needed a bit of aileron trim and a good amount of down elev to get the nose down. I have the pack as far forward as possible. On low rates it flew pretty tamely. The power from the recommended AXI 2212/34 was not impressive in my opinion. They recommend an 11x4.7. I only had an 11x5.5 E. Maybe the other prop would have been better.

After a few gentle passes I turned on high rates. Rudder authority is totally insane. As tight a spin as you could ask for from a 40" wingspan.Nice and flat but I couldn't get it to climb. (Maybe on a warmer day). Loops were OK. Again more power would be nice. Rolls were pretty axial and quick-ish. Would be better once elev is dialed in better. I did a short KE pass. Not bad but the light was low and I got a little nervous. Save it for next time. I hovered a bit but I am not the best at hovering. That is one of the skills I hoped this plane would help me build. Harriers were pretty good too but the pack was winding down

After an 11 minute flight I set it down. Gentle harrier landing. Uneventful. A guy had stopped and was juiced up. Wow what's that? How much $ ? And of course the infamous How High?

Here's where things go horribly awry. I decided to try another flight with an Etec 1200 pack. A little more weight in the nose will mean a better CG. Launch is fine, a slow circle of the field and I pull up to see if I can get it to torque roll. It falls out to the left from about 35-40' up and falls nose down. I hit up elev. Nothing happens. Full up. Nothing. I hit the throttle and watch as it powers straight into the ground. The fuse snaps in 2 places. Entire tail section in one piece, everything up to the wings in another and the wings and nose in a third. Motor mount comes off and a servo pops off from the rudder. One wingtip is wrinkled as well.

I swear I almost cried. I couldn't have put it away after the first pack? I then had to get on the train and go to work. I listened to Neil Young the whole ride in and by the time I got to the City I was ready to jump out the window.

If watching a plane fly didn't do something inside me I can't even describe I would quit this damn hobby.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2004, 09:36 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
I know the feeling, it is what got me out of the hobbie 10 years ago, the first flight on a new Imac bipe , super tiger 3000 lost radio and destroyed it, I cried it had as much vert as one of the new electrics+ lots of money and time , I quit, then I laff and build another to fly tomorrow

sorry about your loss, but you can be in the air again,soon.

autopsy? why did it go in on flight 2, just check out to make sure everything works

Happy flights

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Dec 09, 2004, 09:37 AM
"$$Crashable Income$$"
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,068 Posts
"one last flight" syndrome strikes agan! very sorry to hear that mex.

what do they say? its better to have flown and crashed, than to have never flown at all?
maux is offline Find More Posts by maux
Old Dec 09, 2004, 11:32 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,331 Posts
As Tommy Lee Jones (Agent K) said in MiB, "Try it".

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 09, 2004, 11:40 AM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
1,744 Posts
Ouch.

I've been very lucky having started in the hobby a year-and-a-half ago. Had one flyaway plane (a little Hobbyzone Outlaw), but I wasn't at the sticks, my brother-in-law was responsible for that one. Other than that, every plane has been retired, not destroyed.

Just remind yourself, you lost a depron plane, not a balsa build-up that took months to piece together. No matter how "nice" they are, depron planes should be considered expendable.

We feel your pain. Now get back on the horse and fix it or replace it ASAP.
Johnny B is offline Find More Posts by Johnny B
Old Dec 09, 2004, 12:23 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
I just got a Stevens Aero Groove kit yesterday afternoon. I am going to have to stare at the pile of balsa for a while before I start.

I know foamies are disposable. But one flight? And it wasn't a brain fart or disorientation but a stuck servo or something. That is what has me so PO'd. Most crashes are my fault. This one was not.

Mark Wood - what does that mean?
Old Dec 09, 2004, 01:55 PM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
In reference to Wood's quote: He refers to the movie, "Men In Black" where agent J tells Agent K that "it is better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all." Agent K leans forward with a burning glance and responds, "try it."

Obviously, this is Wood's response to Maux!

I don't care how cheap the airplane is or how many flights its had...when it crashes to its death, you still want to pick up a truck and smash it into a building.

Always bring a backup so that the last flight doesn't end on such a sour note, or your day will be ruined. Of course, there was that one time where I then wrecked the backup.....oooh, don't want to think about that day.....
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2004, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2004
35 Posts
Been there and done that. I got a little confused at dusk with the shocky and cart-wheeled it across the pavement. It broke the fusalage in half, messed up the rudder, and had some minor damage to the wing. So to end on a possitive note I threw up my brushless EStarter without hesitation. Yup - forgot to change the radio to the new model. Up translated to death

With a couple weeks off an some CA I'm back at it. I now have a post-it note on my radio reminding me of such things. My wife thinks it's hilarious.
Zipper Head is offline Find More Posts by Zipper Head
Last edited by Zipper Head; Dec 09, 2004 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Stupidity
Old Dec 09, 2004, 03:14 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Nov 2003
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper Head
My wife thinks it's hilarious.
My wife thinks its funny when I bring back one of my planes in 20 pieces... To me its like my dog died or something, but to her it is funny?!?
3d_Crazy is offline Find More Posts by 3d_Crazy
Old Dec 09, 2004, 03:22 PM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
Lenny,
Sorry about the crash, man! I, too, have fallen victim to the "one last flight" syndrome a few times. Believe me, it hurts more when you know you were the one who messed up (like when I "landed" my Groove on my leg - just under the knee - on it's 5th or 6th flight... ). When something goes wrong that was out of your control, you can at least say "I'm still the best pilot in the world - it's only my mechanic who s*cks!"
Cheer up! Your new Groove is calling you! And it won't let you down!
Lubo
doc-e is online now Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Dec 09, 2004, 03:32 PM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Aug 2004
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
The power from the recommended AXI 2212/34 was not impressive in my opinion. They recommend an 11x4.7. I only had an 11x5.5 E. Maybe the other prop would have been better.
a gws 12x6 HD or APC 13x4 E would do the trick!

Sorry to hear about the plane.
IsToR is offline Find More Posts by IsToR
Old Dec 09, 2004, 03:33 PM
Your Mileage May Vary
Rocklin, California (Near Sacramento)
Joined Nov 2003
508 Posts
I feel your pain. I think we all feel your pain. Sometimes there are no words that can make you feel better. You just have to go on to the next. Put your plane's carcass in the closet for a couple of weeks. Get it out of your head. It can be fixed. Put the groove together and fly it for all it's worth!

Remember, it's not IF you crash your plane, it's WHEN you crash it. That's the cruel, cruel reality of this hobby.

hug, hug.....

Steve.
dartbrandx is offline Find More Posts by dartbrandx
Old Dec 09, 2004, 03:34 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc-e
Cheer up! Your new Groove is calling you! And it won't let you down!
Lubo
But will I let it down?
Old Dec 09, 2004, 03:36 PM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
But will I let it down?
You can always have me fly it for you!
doc-e is online now Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Dec 09, 2004, 03:53 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
Lenny,

Its a depron plane! It can be fixed..Trust me! Let me know if you need some help...Maybe this weekend we can work on it.

Jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123