SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2014, 01:20 PM
Joined Sep 2013
99 Posts
Help!
Motor and ESC for MULTIPLEX EasyStar II

hello!
im planing on buying an EasyStar II kit, and i wanted to know if i can use a motor and an ESC i have.
the motor is NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 286w and the ESC is Hobby King 30A ESC 3A UBEC
also im planing on using a 1300mAh 3S 25C Lipo .
wil this combo work with the EasyStar II? and what prop should i use with this combo?
david87 is offline Find More Posts by david87
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:46 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
732 Posts
With a kV of 1200 RPM/V, a 3S pack and max a 7" dia prop you may not get good thrust.
kV should probably be higher in the 1600 RPM/V range.
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Futaba 9CHPS
Old Aug 26, 2014, 07:51 AM
Joined Sep 2013
99 Posts
but the stock motor is 1100kv
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:05 PM
Jarhead
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2011
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david87 View Post
The 1200kV motor and ESC you have will be fine. The ESC in the Hitec SkyScout is only 18A. If you have one, put a wattmeter on it to get an idea of the current consumption. You don't need tons of thrust to fly it anyway. If you decide you want more speed, you can always upgrade later. Use what you have and toss it in the air. You'll have fun.
wheelbarrowjack is offline Find More Posts by wheelbarrowjack
Old Aug 27, 2014, 01:05 AM
KJ6BFN
Joined Aug 2008
732 Posts
Quote:
HK's specifications points out to you what this motor will deliver with a 7" dia prop on 3S:
7x6E - 11.1v - 90W - 8A
By all means you can try the motor you have, but 90W will probably feel anemic.

Run it on 4S and you will get better thrust.
7x6E - 14.8v - 192W - 13A

On 3S, I would run something like this or this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2014, 05:14 PM
Joined Feb 2009
9 Posts
Both motors will not fit (shaft wrong side). Bad choices....
iglitare is offline Find More Posts by iglitare
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:19 PM
KJ6BFN
Joined Aug 2008
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iglitare View Post
Both motors will not fit (shaft wrong side). Bad choices....
Thanks for pointing that out. Depending on your skill, you may be right.
With most of these motors the shaft can be reversed to protrude on the desired side though.

Here is another possibility. Shaft may need reversing too.

If one starts looking for motors in this kV range, it would be found that there are not many choices available. So you may have to reverse a shaft.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by henkvdw; Aug 27, 2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:46 PM
KJ6BFN
Joined Aug 2008
732 Posts
Just found this one that would install without reversing the shaft.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2014, 03:28 AM
Joined Sep 2013
99 Posts
thx for the help!
i was told that with the ES 2 its better to use a ~200Kv motor with a 6' prop, for more flight time and more efficiency.
can you give me more option for the motor (i prefer from HK or RCTimer), that will work with my 30A ESC ?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:26 AM
KJ6BFN
Joined Aug 2008
732 Posts
The EasyStar 1 came originally with a 400/480 size brushed motor.
Dimensionally this is very similar to the brushless inrunner B2835 - 2200 that was available from HK. They do not sell these anymore.
Since the EZ*1 could only accommodate a 6" prop, a lot of guys upgraded the EZ*1 to brushless with this or similar inrunner motors with a kV of 2200 RPM/V and it is an easy and excellent upgrade.
My guess is that this is where the 2200 RPM/V plus 6 inch prop recommendation comes from.
However, conventional wisdom has it that larger props are quieter and more efficient.
The EasyStar 2 can accommodate a 7 inch prop. So you should be better served running a 7 inch prop on a motor with a kV in the range of 1600 RPM/V like this.
BTW this motor is way smaller and lighter than the original EasyStar1 brushed motor but will deliver better thrust and performance and should be more efficient doing it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2014, 04:35 AM
Joined Sep 2013
99 Posts
Actually, when i went to buy the EZ2 kit from the store, i asked the guy there his opinion about the motor, and he told me that a ~2000kv motor with a small prop (like the stock one) will work best because at helf throttle you get plenty of speed.
what is the largest prop that can be used on the EZ2 with the stock motor mount?
and also can i use this motor with my 30A ESC and a 3s lipo?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:50 AM
KJ6BFN
Joined Aug 2008
732 Posts
Quote:
Actually, when i went to buy the EZ2 kit from the store, i asked the guy there his opinion about the motor, and he told me that a ~2000kv motor with a small prop (like the stock one) will work best because at helf throttle you get plenty of speed.
what is the largest prop that can be used on the EZ2 with the stock motor mount?
and also can i use this motor with my 30A ESC and a 3s lipo?
The tolerable kV will depend on the size of the motor you are installing.
Installing a 480-ish size motor like you link above will allow you to run a 7 inch prop on 3S with ease and not worry about throttle management.
This motor is bigger (28mmx36mm) and heavier (~80g) than any of the others (28mmx26mm) & (~50g) mentioned before and also than the stock motor. So higher kV is OK without the risk of over-amping the motor.
However you may be crucified by some efficiency proponents that this 2836 motor is way overkill.
Another perspective to add is that this 2836 motor is very close in size and weight to the original EZ*1 brushed motor.
I have installed a similar sized brushless outrunner in a EZ*2 for my nephew and it works very good. It was either the one you linked or this. Can't remember exactly and can't check since the plane is not with me. Was a little of a tight fit but no big deal. Just make sure the wires are secured away from the rotating can.
The bigger motor is also a good idea if you are planning to load up the plane in future with all kinds of gear like cameras, extra batteries, voltage regulators, VTxs etc, etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:07 AM
Joined Sep 2013
99 Posts
the plan is to put a mobius camera on it in the near future. also i prefer the idea of over kill, than buying sometimg that can restrict me in the future.
i noticed that the motor that you suggested need a 40A ESC, do you know any good motor that will work with my 30A ESC ?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 04:03 PM
KJ6BFN
Joined Aug 2008
732 Posts
Your 30A ESC would be fine for either the motor you linked or the other that I linked.
It can handle a burst current of 40A.
RCG Plus Member