Old Jun 29, 2014, 03:49 AM
1 can never have 2 many planes
Australia, QLD, Surfers Paradise
Joined Sep 2011
629 Posts
New Product
hobbykings micro chuck gliders! rc conversion.. f-18 edition

HI ALL!

just wanted to share my progress on theses awesome little micro gliders hobbyking have recently brought out.

initially i believed the f-18 to be far to flimsy for a successful conversion, but after my partial success with the f-16 and awesome success with the f-22, i think the f-18 could a diamond in the rough.

first here is the list of parts ive used or will be using when they arrive:

300mah 2s nano-tech lipo
x2 turnigy 3.7g .4kg micro servo
turnigy plush 6 amp esc
c10 2900kv motor
turnigy 4x3 high speed prop
orange rx 2gram micro receiver 4ch

its a yank and bank design such as the f-16 and f-22. however the f-18 has the full flying elevator (stabilator) and uses the full length of the trailing edge of the wing as the aileron.

with the control surfaces, push rods and servos fitted, the model currently weighs in at 38grams. with only 35grams of motor, prop, battery, receiver and esc to be fitted i hoping it can scrape in under 80grams AUW.

the exciting part is that after reading the reviews on the 2900kv motor, i should be able to get about +130grams of thrust from it. 1.6:1 power to weight

will upload more pics as parts arrive.
chambo88 is offline Find More Posts by chambo88
Last edited by chambo88; Jul 08, 2014 at 05:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2014, 09:46 AM
Life begins at 40
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
668 Posts
Nice!! I have been wondering for a while on the feasibility on converting one of these...I guess it can be done!
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:51 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
327 Posts
Wow, never knew these existed, super cute!
And I see you've taken the exact same setup for the F-18 as I would. Should be a nice flyer and a lot less overweigh than your F-16 and F-22, it probably will even keep flying when the motor cuts out.

Question: is the rubber nose cone hollow? If so it could really help out with crashing err... landings.
And seeing you've built all three now, which one do you think has the broadest flight enveloppe? Fast is ok for me, but slowing down for a soft landing is pretty important with these tiny high wing loaded airplanes.

Quote:
its a yank and bank design
I'm worried about this though.
Does your people really live opposite?? And if you get to the northern hemisphere, do you have to reverse your settings to bank and yank?
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Jul 01, 2014, 07:37 AM
Joined Sep 2011
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy View Post
Wow, never knew these existed, super cute!
And I see you've taken the exact same setup for the F-18 as I would. Should be a nice flyer and a lot less overweigh than your F-16 and F-22, it probably will even keep flying when the motor cuts out.

Question: is the rubber nose cone hollow? If so it could really help out with crashing err... landings.
And seeing you've built all three now, which one do you think has the broadest flight enveloppe? Fast is ok for me, but slowing down for a soft landing is pretty important with these tiny high wing loaded airplanes.

I'm worried about this though.
Does your people really live opposite?? And if you get to the northern hemisphere, do you have to reverse your settings to bank and yank?

first of all..bahaha...

that's a word order stuff up.. my bad.. in order to keep with the trend i shall answer in the same order..

no you dont have to reverse settings to bank and yank.. but really the order of the terms will be determined by what you want to do. perhaps vertical snap rolls are the order of the day..

at this stage i cant say what the f-18 will be like. hoping to have some results in the next 2 weeks.. but as for the other 2 the f22 takes the cake by a mile! it has a huge flight envelope (thanks to its large wing surface area), it is quite fast when you give it to her (90-100kph), but can slow right down while maintaining stability for a soft landing (25-30kph). ive even had some success with high alpha! While the f-16 was like trying to fly a missile with 200% aileron rates and 20% elevator.. high stall speeds and very tip stall prone. would suggest a smaller motor and battery i was to build another.

the rubber nose cone is hollow but is that soft that it absorbs next to no force of any impact. it was designed for this purpose but not for the weights that are accompanied by an rc conversion.

so yeah, to this point the f22 is the favorite

here is the link to the f22 and f16:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2173076
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:16 PM
Joined Feb 2007
327 Posts
That's some good info there, thanks.

Found your thread about the F-16 and F-22 after you posted this thread, thought immediately they were a bit on the heavy side...
I'm guessing the F-16 and F-22 were around 120-130 grams?
The F-18 should do a lot better, in this size anything under 100 grams is a winner.

Re: the F-16's wing tip stalls:
Have you tried adding washout (leading edge down, trailing edge up) to the wing tips? Easy to do with two rulers and a hot hairdryer.
I've found out that comparable toy planes I converted to RC all needed that, some of them needed a lot of it. Bend 2 degrees - test fly - bend another 2 degrees - test fly - etc...

Vertical snap rolls... I knew it all the time!
Old Jul 04, 2014, 05:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
629 Posts
haha love the image!

yeah the f16 and f22 are a little heavy but the f22 flies amazingly, i would say you can only just feel its a little overweight, unlike the 16. i think if the 18 flies alright ill do the same conversion to the 16 as well.. but the 22 is just too much fun to slow it down. ill also give the rulers tip a try! thanks!!

Old Jul 05, 2014, 12:49 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2006
360 Posts
Hello Friends,

I have just received my parcel from HK containing F16 and F18 ... so I will join the club.

Because of the rather large elevators I am planning to build with taileron control only. I aiming at 80 grams total including 2S350mAh battery.

Comments will be appreciated,

Regards,
Jaguar 20040 is offline Find More Posts by Jaguar 20040
Old Jul 05, 2014, 09:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
629 Posts
hi jaguar, welcome!

when you say taileron, do you mean you aim to control the roll and pitch from the elevators using a single servo for each surface?

which motor do you plan to use? As i am using a 300mah 2s and will struggle to keep it under 80g. I have found with these small models, due to the small wing surface area, 1:1 power to weight is generally required to get them flying nice and scale like.

you may also want to look into reinforcing the points where your wires will exit the frame"if the design you are going for is anything like what i have done", i have found on other models that it is required otherwise over time a fair bit of "play/looseness" begins to form around the point of rotation.

please feel free to share pics and info here if you like.

also, a bit off topic but where abouts in DE are you from? i used to live in Freiburg
Old Jul 05, 2014, 09:18 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2006
360 Posts
Hi,

when you say taileron, do you mean you aim to control the roll and pitch from the elevators using a single servo for each surface?

unquote

Exactly as you said.

Yes, 1:1 power is my target! Only launching it might be a problem because of its "intention" for a torque roll.

I am living in the north of Germany near Bremen where rather strong winds are frequent ... helps for the start phase.

Regards,
Old Jul 05, 2014, 07:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
629 Posts
ah ok, cool yeah i found 50% power gives a good balance between thrust and torque roll effect.

might be an idea to wait for a calm day to maiden it at least. my feelings are these planes dont like the winds too much.

Old Jul 06, 2014, 05:31 PM
Joined Feb 2007
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar 20040 View Post
Hi,

unquote
Hi Jaguar 20040. To quote someone, click on the 'Quote' button on the lower left side of his post; the usual reply window will open with the quote on top.
You can delete any part of the quote as long as you don't touch the brackets.

Can't wait to see a taileron versions of these!
Old Jul 07, 2014, 01:26 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2006
360 Posts
F-16 taileron

I have started assembly and here is a pic of the components I am going to use.
Altogether abt. 40 grams.

Regards,
Robert R.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:50 AM
Joined Sep 2011
629 Posts
righto well my parts arrived yesterday but due to the fact i had to fly a worker with a suspected broken collar bone into town i didnt get a chance to install the parts..

this was not the case this afternoon! installed the motor and esc and went out for the maiden.

what i initially believed to be tail heavy CG turned out to be too much control over the elevators. once we threw in some expo i gave it another chuck and she was of and running. plenty of power with a 4x3 on the 2s 300mah. rolls and loops are easy. she will also fly very very slow being the feather weight she is. max speed is a respectable 70-75kph.

COG is between 10mm and 13mm aft of Leading Edge at the wing-root where the LE meets the front splitter.

i am currently flying mine at 13mm for aerobatic purposes

all i can say is i am totally blown away by the performance of this little beauty!

only thing i would say to those wanting to build one of these.. make sure your control surfaces dont have any play in them, make sure the push rods are tight on the control horn. otherwise the neutral point will be off centered during the flights.

good luck!

watch this space for the flight video!!
Last edited by chambo88; Jul 08, 2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:56 AM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
487 Posts
Chambo, Can you provide a link on the HK site for this model? I'm lost.
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:36 AM
Joined Feb 2007
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo88 View Post
she will also fly very very slow being the feather weight she is.
You see? Lighter is better.
How does it perform with power off? My wild guess would be a 30 - 45 degree glide slope but still controllable enough for a decent landing...

Congrats on the maiden, waiting for the video now.