SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:19 PM
Pacman82
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Question
Good RTF 120/130ish 3d Heli

I want somthing affordable yet durable. I have been looking at the Walkera series such as the V120d02s V2. Wondering if this is a good heli. Any suggestions will be appreciated
Pacman82 is offline Find More Posts by Pacman82
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:19 AM
chopper chopper chopper!!!
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2012
153 Posts
i have never flew a Walkera all i have are blades in my fleet i have the 120sr FP, its fun for starting out. I slso have a 130x witch i love bought all the upgrades for it flys sooooo nice and its not a bad heli to start doing 3D tricks on, if you are wanting to do 3D tricks maybe a mpcx might be up your alleyway...i find that my 130x is easy to work on and fix and it a fbl heli super nice seems like the flybar is almost a thing of the past but make sure you have a radio like a JR or a dx6i youll need a good radio to fly...plus if you need any help you can all Horizon hobby and theyll help you with any thing.
Lozki
Lozki is online now Find More Posts by Lozki
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:09 PM
Pacman82
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman82 View Post
I want somthing affordable yet durable. I have been looking at the Walkera series such as the V120d02s V2. Wondering if this is a good heli. Any suggestions will be appreciated
I really like your response nut the thing is, I have heard so many negative things about the 130x and plus I don't want to spend that much money.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:42 PM
chopper chopper chopper!!!
United States, CA, Shasta Lake
Joined Sep 2012
153 Posts
so you hear alot of negative huh... that sucks, ill be real their are some things they could change about the 130x but ehh its not enough to not get one, look on this site "rcgroups" ill bet you see alot of 130x being sold but...but their being bought up and swoop up as fast as they can throw the for sale sign on it .....i love helis and heli flying and like i said the 130x gave me the confidence to fly CP helis and work on them, get to know how they tick.. now im happy to say i just swoop up a Blade 300x and im loven it great heli...hope this helps
Lozki
Lozki is online now Find More Posts by Lozki
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:29 AM
Pacman82
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozki View Post
so you hear alot of negative huh... that sucks, ill be real their are some things they could change about the 130x but ehh its not enough to not get one, look on this site "rcgroups" ill bet you see alot of 130x being sold but...but their being bought up and swoop up as fast as they can throw the for sale sign on it .....i love helis and heli flying and like i said the 130x gave me the confidence to fly CP helis and work on them, get to know how they tick.. now im happy to say i just swoop up a Blade 300x and im loven it great heli...hope this helps
Lozki
Yeah I do hear a lot of negative. That's why I have second thoughts about getting one.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:52 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
296 Posts
I have both the 130x and the v120d02s, and I can tell you that the v120d02s mechanically requires much less maintenance. The v120d02s doesn't require $50 in upgrades to fly well, it pretty much just works. Durability wise, the v120 tends to break the skids in a lot of crashes, but the TT gears are more sturdy than the 130x gears. The other issue I have with the 130x is parts cost. Yes it is convenient to walk into the LHS and get what you need, but I would rather wait 2 days for walkera parts and pay 1/2 what 130x parts cost.

So in summary, for a beginner, I would say the v120d02s is clearly the winner. The 130x does fly better (after a few upgrades), but the question is does it fly $100-150 better? IMO it doesn't.
flint723 is online now Find More Posts by flint723
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:16 AM
Joined Aug 2006
59 Posts
if you have CP heli experience with overall good handling abilities, then i would like to suggest the V120D02S for the simple reason that it flies very well out of the box in its stock configuration. no real need for performance upgrade mods unless your skill demands it. it also fits the affordability issue. however, you need to understand a couple of things in order to further realize this:

fly on grass, 'coz nothing will ever survive crashing on concrete!

do all the simple mods on the V120D02S threads in order to increase your chances of crash survivability. especially the tail clutch mods...

buy two or three helis if you can afford it! having many will limit your down time waiting for crash parts giving you more time flying than repairing. shipping cost will also be maximized. in my case, i have three wherein two is always in flying condition at any given time. the BNF version is cheap enough to afford you this luxury!

buy and practice with a simulator! this helps especially when you begin trying the "fancy" stuff!

HTH
hawk01 is offline Find More Posts by hawk01