HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:00 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Didn't get much done today. I kind of wanted to leave the plane assembled!!
I did manage to get my stands completed, I'll paint them up when I do the plane, they'll look a little neater in green/brown camo.
Tonite I went out and did the machining to make the machine guns and cannons. I think they came out pretty good. They'll have to be painted blue/black of course. Thats it for now.
I need to get some 1/4/20 blindnuts or make my own to hold the wings on. Once the wings are snugged up, I can close the gaps around the wing boxes. Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:20 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,129 Posts
LOL I know what you mean about leaving the plane in one piece I find myself wasting so much time just staring at stuff like that

Guns look awesome
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:16 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Hi Ken: Thanks for the kind words. I have been playing around with a lathe for a few years now, always learning new techniques, 100% self taught.
I spent 40 yrs of my life as a welder, if I had to do it over again, I'd be a machinist - hehe!! There's something about spinning metals that grabs at my soul.
Having the Mossy assembled for a couple of days has given a a chance to do final touches. The vertical stab was intended to be glued directly to the sheeting, I decided to add 2 3/16 dowel pins to strengthen the joint. I need to finsh up the hatch and get it sheeted so I can fill in wing gaps.
I'm trying to decide whether I should run a counter rotation prop, a 16/10/3 blade Master or just run with standards. I know the real Mossy's used props sppinning both the same. Doug B
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:13 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,331 Posts
It's just your preference but it doesn't need counter rotating props. I have several twins w/o them and torque factor is a non issue.
That is great lathe work! I wish I had one( and the expertise to run it!!)

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:27 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Hi J: Your right about the twins not really needing counter rotation I'm sure. I have 4 twins now including the Mossy. I have not used CR before but thought it might be useful with these bigger 16" props.
Part of the problem is my location, it has been really hard to get anything here for RC. Just recently we have a new RC shop, they aim to please alright, but their CDN prices are plain scarry sometimes. We are quite often paying double your costs thru local suppliers.
As for the lathe, I purchased the one I have now, a 12 x 36 thru Busy Bee Tools. They have many sizes, from 4 x 9 on up. As for learning to run one, grab a pc of metal and start chewing it up -hehe.
Thanks for the nice comments on the guns. Doug B
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:57 PM
Canada, ON, Markdale
Joined Nov 2012
47 Posts
" I believe the only currently flying Mossquito will be at Hamilton, Ontario on June 15th/13 for a flying display. Its only 125 miles away, I'll be there if I have to walk!!!!"

I will do the the "walk" with you Doug!! I'd like to see it as well.
Rick K. is offline Find More Posts by Rick K.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:31 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,433 Posts
I had to reverse a prop on my (smaller) Mosquito, so I'll be interested to see how your models perform in the air.
Rolls were awful (almost impossible) until I made the reverse - but it eventually lost me the model when the prop came loose.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:59 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
592 Posts
How many 1/4 x 20 blinds nuts do you need? I'm willing to donate some to a good cause.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:37 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
I had to reverse a prop on my (smaller) Mosquito, so I'll be interested to see how your models perform in the air.
Rolls were awful (almost impossible) until I made the reverse - but it eventually lost me the model when the prop came loose.
Hi Robin; i now believe I will go with std props. I was thinking about improving the roll rate with cr, but don't believe I'll actually be throwing this monster, i mean Mossy around like that. Maybe only ccr rolls hehe. I have yet to test the EMP 16/8/3 bladers I have , but will shortly. They may not have enough pitch speed to make me happy. Doug B
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:42 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
How many 1/4 x 20 blinds nuts do you need? I'm willing to donate some to a good cause.
Thanks you very much for the kind offer, I opened up the wings yesterday. I found a small piece of 1/4 12ply Called "russian ply" here, and made a second "nut by tapping 1/4-20nc and caing the threads twice while rethreading each time. The total nut is 1/2" thick plus 1/8 ply stiffner, so I feel it plenty strong now. I added far more bracing inside the wing when I built it to make up for the split wing. There is always a way, right! Doug B
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:52 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,316 Posts
I just found this thread and think you guys are doing a fabulous job building these models. Real Scale craftsmen.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:02 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
Thanks you very much for the kind offer, I opened up the wings yesterday. I found a small piece of 1/4 12ply Called "russian ply" here, and made a second "nut by tapping 1/4-20nc and caing the threads twice while rethreading each time. The total nut is 1/2" thick plus 1/8 ply stiffner, so I feel it plenty strong now. I added far more bracing inside the wing when I built it to make up for the split wing. There is always a way, right! Doug B
That sounds like a good way of doing it as well just thought I would offer since I have enough stored in my hardware box for me to build prob 20 or so planes. If you end feeling like you would need some though just let know I would be more than happy to ship a few out.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:50 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
That sounds like a good way of doing it as well just thought I would offer since I have enough stored in my hardware box for me to build prob 20 or so planes. If you end feeling like you would need some though just let know I would be more than happy to ship a few out.
Thanks again for the offer. It was clearly a case of paranioa on my part to worry about this so much. This is the first plane for a long time I haven't built a wing that wasn't a one piece unit. All the bolt really has to do is hold the wing against the fuselage, the wing tube carries the load. Doug B
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:58 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
I just found this thread and think you guys are doing a fabulous job building these models. Real Scale craftsmen.
Chris...
Hi Chris Welcome aboard!! And thanks for the kind words of encouragments! The Brian Taylor kits and plans are done quite scale, so if the end product looks like a real Mosquito, we have him to thank.If you think mine is looking good, wait til you see the other two, both Paul and Ken are better builders!!
I think the other two should be posting soon, I;m pretty sure they're both working on their Mossy's. Paul let us know the spinners are almost ready just the other day! Doug
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:58 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
I have yet to test the EMP 16/8/3 bladers I have , but will shortly. They may not have enough pitch speed to make me happy. Doug B
Awesome build Doug! As for the EMP props ... would you be so kind as to share a link where they could be purchased? I'm always looking for alternatives to the MAS three bladers.

Thanks Doug!

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins