SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Oh jeez. I'd not been considering picking this heli up because of the lack of FlySky compatibility but now... I've got a spare V911 RX board that was waiting for a breakdown or a project that is calling to me.
10 minutes and you'd be enjoying a new 9x compatible Helios! Very glad I did it...
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:31 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
Thanks for the performance review, BlueHavoc! Based on what you wrote, I've added this heli to my "buy to mod" list. I'm always interested in adding a new flying experience to my micro FP fleet and the price of these little clones cannot be beat!

Glad you posted about this today. If it was posted before I missed it.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:22 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,259 Posts
As BH will attest, the board is a literal drop in. No harder then when installing on a V911.

BH, I wish I was excited as you.
Makdaddy is online now Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:44 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
As BH will attest, the board is a literal drop in. No harder then when installing on a V911.

BH, I wish I was excited as you.
I'm sorry you are not having the same experience I am And it was a direct fit. I had some minor trouble with the soldering because of my eyes, but I just used magnifying lenses and good lighting and it fixed me up. I just de-soldered the wires from the stock rx, took it off and first I soldered on the antenna wire before screwing on the v911 rx. Then I just used one of my flying v911's as a soldering guide and in a few minutes I had a fantastic flying 9x Helios
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,259 Posts
Just went out and flew it again. Rare windless.
First with using MSR paddles on the V911 FB,
Did not like at all - acted weird - was flying fine then started spinning. (yes the FB was level and balanced with no binding) with almost same porpoising effect. One of the main reasons I did not care for using the MSR paddles on my V911 (porpoising).
Changed FB out to V911 FB again (one more try).
I like the way it fly's - took out the rocking porpoising effect and it was quite fast.
Dislike is the amount of flybar strikes. This bird seems to have a heavy COG causing more FB strikes then with a V911. (Actually I very rarely get FB strikes on my V911's only when really pushing them.)
Has anyone tried popping out the FB weights of the H100 and actually fly it?
Thinking of doing that next. Have not given up on this bird yet .
Last edited by Makdaddy; Sep 27, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
Flying mostly micro's
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Maybe you can find a shallower canopy that doesn't strike?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
Maybe you can find a shallower canopy that doesn't strike?
Thought of that but then I might as well put the parts in the V911 frame I have. Others have mentioned that the yellow V911 is more docile and not a fast in FFF.
I wonder if it is the weight of the beefy skids and larger battery? It just seems to drop very quickly when throttle is decreased. Hard to find that happy medium.
I am using an Accucell 6 charger with for my batts at .3amps in parallel. It seems to takes over an hour to charge both batt's starting at 3.82 volts, kind of new to this charger, is that considered normal? Should I bump up the amperage to 0.4 amps? 180 + 180 mah + .36 amps right? Would that be pushing it?
Last edited by Makdaddy; Sep 27, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,135 Posts
Quote:
Thought of that but then I might as well put the parts in the V911 frame I have. Others have mentioned that the yellow V911 is more docile and not a fast in FFF.
I wonder if it is the weight of the beefy skids and larger battery? It just seems to drop very quickly when throttle is decreased. Hard to find that happy medium.
I am using an Accucell 6 charger with for my batts at .3amps in parallel. It seems to takes over an hour to charge both batt's starting at 3.82 volts, kind of new to this charger, is that considered normal? Should I bump up the amperage to 0.4 amps? 180 + 180 mah + .36 amps right? Would that be pushing it?
I takes over an hour because you are charging with less than 1C. (ma H) If you go to 0.4, it will probably take you about 50-55min, as you then will be charging with 1.1C (which is supposed to be totally uncritical - I charge my 300mah nanotechs for the mCPX on 0.9A ... takes about 20min and I have not noticed any negative effect because of it yet. However, on the HK site they specifically state this is uncritical)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Why I L-O-V-E miracle mart ...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:50 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,945 Posts
Quote:
I tried that once before and got flybar strikes like crazy.
But does that reduce the porpoising effect? Could it be caused by the paddle flybar? Or something else on the helicopter?
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:59 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,495 Posts
Makdaddy, At 1C charge rate, the theoretical charge time is 1 hour. But in reality, because the Accucell 6 will start tapering off current as it approaches 4.2v, it will take longer than an hour to charge. Since you're setting it at below 1C, it will definitely take over an hour to charge. Check you battery and see if it can handle a higher charge rate. (Some newer batteries could handle 3C, or even 5C).
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
But does that reduce the porpoising effect? Could it be caused by the paddle flybar? Or something else on the helicopter?
Yes it is the paddle flybar causing the porpoising, no doubt.
Last edited by Makdaddy; Sep 28, 2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I takes over an hour because you are charging with less than 1C. (ma H) If you go to 0.4, it will probably take you about 50-55min, as you then will be charging with 1.1C (which is supposed to be totally uncritical - I charge my 300mah nanotechs for the mCPX on 0.9A ... takes about 20min and I have not noticed any negative effect because of it yet. However, on the HK site they specifically state this is uncritical)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Makdaddy, At 1C charge rate, the theoretical charge time is 1 hour. But in reality, because the Accucell 6 will start tapering off current as it approaches 4.2v, it will take longer than an hour to charge. Since you're setting it at below 1C, it will definitely take over an hour to charge. Check you battery and see if it can handle a higher charge rate. (Some newer batteries could handle 3C, or even 5C).
Thanks erdnuckel and Heli Pad.
The batteries I am charging are the ones for the Helios 100. There is no markings on the batteries.
II found this site describing in the tables about midway in the page that describes the charging rates for 180mah batts. Not knowing the C rating of the battery is what is my problem. Does anyone know the C rating of the OEM packs?

I am currently writing diagnostic routines on Electric Vehicle Control Unit (EVCU) for an electric vehicle using a 380 volt lipo pack. The dangers of lipo technology has me a bit reserved (I write more warnings then actual diagnostic routines). The battery pack itself has more safety systems then you could imagine and is all self contained and no user settings for charging.

I guess I am actually in the wrong thread for these questions but figured it might be a quick and simple answer. I need to read up more on this.
Last edited by Makdaddy; Sep 28, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:27 AM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
361 Posts
Actually I think the "C" stands for "Current". If you have a 1000mah battery that is equal to 1 amp (1000 milliamps or 1000 thousandths of an amp equals 1 amp.) So you would charge a 1amp battery at 1 amp to equal 1 "C", a 750mah battery at .75 amps for 1 "C" etc. At least that's the way I have always understood it.

Gerard.
gwrivest is offline Find More Posts by gwrivest
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrivest View Post
Actually I think the "C" stands for "Current". If you have a 1000mah battery that is equal to 1 amp (1000 milliamps or 1000 thousandths of an amp equals 1 amp.) So you would charge a 1amp battery at 1 amp to equal 1 "C", a 750mah battery at .75 amps for 1 "C" etc. At least that's the way I have always understood it.

Gerard.
Looking at the charts on the link in my previous post, I need to find the maximum charge rate for these batteries. Nothing listed in the manual or on Banggoods site that I can find. 2 180mah batteries in a parallel circuit could be safely charged at 2.18 amps if it has a 5C rating. At least what is listed on the chart. Now that would be real fast. However discharge C rating and charge C rating are two different things. This is all making sense now.
Last edited by Makdaddy; Sep 28, 2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:14 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,945 Posts
Quote:
Yes it is the paddle flybar causing the porpoising, no doubt.
Thanks for confirming this! Great!

Now, if Helios 100 is fitted with the V911 flybar, it does not porpoise as much, but does it lose its speed?

Of course, the compromise when using V911 flybar is flybar strikes.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG