HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Question
Brushless Champ Help

Hello all. I was hoping that someone could help point me in the right direction for a list of parts to convert my Champ to a light weight brushless setup. I am still not very well versed on the sizes and rpm ranges and whatnot of the brushless motors and can't decide on what is the best combo setup. I wanna be able to keep the Champ light and have more power when I want as well but still have good flight times and the more affordable the better. So far I have replaced the motor in it with a stock replacement cause the original burned out and now on of the linear servos on the brick is bad. I like the plane and enjoy tinkering around with it at the park and whatnot but I really don't want to buy the same stock garbage electronics that are also WAY over priced. If someone could hook me up with some links to parts I would be grateful! Thank you in advance!

Nate
Primate is offline Find More Posts by Primate
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 01:59 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,475 Posts
well. i have upgraded a ultra micro T-28 & P-51 to Brushless. but i'm thinking of putting the guts from the stock P-51 into my Champ...this will give the Champ surley more power than stock! a brushless setup may overpower the Champ
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old May 13, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
well. i have upgraded a ultra micro T-28 & P-51 to Brushless. but i'm thinking of putting the guts from the stock P-51 into my Champ...this will give the Champ surley more power than stock! a brushless setup may overpower the Champ
More power would mostly be a bonus. I am really looking for more reliability and would like to keep it at the same weight as it is stock.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Jun 2009
57 Posts
Simply exchanging the white back 8.5mm motor in the champ for a black back motor from a P-51, 4-Site etc will give you about 10% more power. They are completely interchangeable with the same size pinon. Weight stays the same.
Stew.Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Stew.Meyers
Old May 13, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew.Meyers View Post
Simply exchanging the white back 8.5mm motor in the champ for a black back motor from a P-51, 4-Site etc will give you about 10% more power. They are completely interchangeable with the same size pinon. Weight stays the same.
What about motor life? It's still a brushed motor. My first Champ motor died in a very short time of flying a couple packs a day.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:51 PM
Chile, Araucanía, Angol
Joined Jan 2012
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
What about motor life? It's still a brushed motor. My first Champ motor died in a very short time of flying a couple packs a day.
C'mon man 10 bucks can't ruin anybody, if you want the best runtime possible stay brushed, brushless can work fine on 2s but your runtimes will be short.
The brushed motors need 5 minutes or a little more between each battery, or you burn it, if you can't wait you need other bird to fly when land.
I like the T28, the exposed motor run cooler all the time.
The electronic isn't cheap you can try HK and then say jejeje.

Regards!
javier668 is offline Find More Posts by javier668
Old May 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier668 View Post
C'mon man 10 bucks can't ruin anybody, if you want the best runtime possible stay brushed, brushless can work fine on 2s but your runtimes will be short.
The brushed motors need 5 minutes or a little more between each battery, or you burn it, if you can't wait you need other bird to fly when land.
I like the T28, the exposed motor run cooler all the time.
The electronic isn't cheap you can try HK and then say jejeje.

Regards!
It really isn't the cost of replacing the stock motor that bothers me, I just honestly don't feel like messing with swapping it out and I would honestly like to move away from having a good majority of the system located on a single part that is $59.99. That's a big difference than $10. If it isn't feasible on the cheap then I'll just scrap the idea.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
Chile, Araucanía, Angol
Joined Jan 2012
402 Posts
The best you can do is stay brushed.
And spend some money on other 4 ch plane.

Regards!
javier668 is offline Find More Posts by javier668
Old May 13, 2012, 09:00 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
The only affordable bl motors that would keep the weight the same are the AP03 7000kv and 4200kv (3.1g) motors. They really are not efficient though. If you a willing to spend money on a motor, then I would recommend and MPS 3.5g motor which goes for $28.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old May 13, 2012, 09:23 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2007
356 Posts
I saw some one posted the thrust/amp chart for 1s setup where the AP-05 motor given very good result compare to AP-03. Im now thinking of doing the similar setup on my plane (AP-05 on 1s).
buratino is offline Find More Posts by buratino
Old May 13, 2012, 11:27 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
That is a much heavier option though, well much considering the total weights here.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old May 14, 2012, 07:55 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,201 Posts
And with a heavier brushless motor up front, you might need to add weight to the tail to bring the balance back, which means you need extra power from the motor to compensate for the added weight, which means the 1S drains sooner, which means shorter flight time.

I've wondered for a long time whether going brushless for 1S is really worth the compromises.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old May 14, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buratino View Post
I saw some one posted the thrust/amp chart for 1s setup where the AP-05 motor given very good result compare to AP-03. Im now thinking of doing the similar setup on my plane (AP-05 on 1s).
Don't forget about the new AP05(5000kv) for 1s, might want to research it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
And with a heavier brushless motor up front, you might need to add weight to the tail to bring the balance back, which means you need extra power from the motor to compensate for the added weight, which means the 1S drains sooner, which means shorter flight time.

I've wondered for a long time whether going brushless for 1S is really worth the compromises.

Jim R.
While your doing a brushless mod you can move the RX rearward to keep your CG, if theres room.
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; May 14, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old May 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
549 Posts
Is the block on the PC board where the motor plugs in a two-pin block or a three-pin block? If it is a three-pin block then the circuit can be remapped to operate a brushless ESC. If it is a two-pin block then it will be necessary to add a circuit that will convert the signal to one that the ESC can understand.
Bob J is offline Find More Posts by Bob J
Old May 15, 2012, 08:49 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,201 Posts
The motor connector block is two pins.

I R Irv, those are very interesting numbers. I'll have to try them out myself.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero