HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:56 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Okay, here's my first video with my new camera the Contour Roam. It's 1080p HD with a 170 degree wide angled lens. Fantastic quality, similar to GoPro but not as bulky and expensive.

I wanted to capture some decent altitude shots so I chose the ASW-28 for my maiden footage flight.

At 6:55 in, I overstress the wing spar and you will see the plane jolt violently as it creates a loose "V" shaped dihedral. I thought it was a goner at 300 feet but I was able to get it down (sort of...I came in high and hot, tried to bank for a do-over, stalled and nosed in...The cardinal sin in aviation!)...

No music, just video.

FMS ASW-28 with Contour ROAM Camera (9 min 37 sec)
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:21 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,662 Posts
Aros,

Is this plane pretty capable of landing on pavement? Youve seen my field and there aint any grass for me to land on just 100 yrds of pavement.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:34 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Oh yes, it has a static wheel that you can land on. I would put some kind of light padding or something on the underside of the wing tips but other than that it will be fine to land on pavement.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,042 Posts
RX Recomendation

Just ordered mine 2day. $129 with free shipping.
What Rx do you recommend, I have full range spectrum with sattelite in my Radian. Not sure this is required or extra insurance.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:22 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Definitely want full range with the altitude you can achieve...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Those onboard videos are nice, but is there any video made from the ground,so I can see how the glider is flying
cbjuss is offline Find More Posts by cbjuss
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:08 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Sorry, my ground vid buddy is out of State for a couple months. I would try to get someone to film ground but she's down for the count after the latest tip stall into the dirt.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:07 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Super flyer..

Got to fly mine today !!!! What a great flyer!!! Super nice climb out, gobs of power, Just a few clicks of right and a little up trim and she cruises power off just perfect with great penetration in some wind. I am using a 3 cell 1300 all they way up front like Aros said, balanced perfect. Nice power off speed but very flat glide. I have flown a lot of gliders in my 40 years of flying and this one is a sweety. Looks great and flies great. Highly recommended. I did mix in about 65% rudder/aileron mix and worked great in turns. Yea, the eight wing bolts are kinda a pain to put wings together and break down but worth it. Aros was right in all his praise of this one. My slight angled fin did not seem to effect it at all. I do recommend you keep the canopy out of hot full sun or throw a towel over it. . The black painted foam has a tendency to expand some in the heat.
But very pleased with it. A super sailplane for the price.
A pic of it and my smaller sky soar.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:33 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Awesome report! Glad to hear you like her...For the price it's hard to beat. Great performance and scale looks. I need to get a new firewall, motor, prop and spinner for mine after she nosed in last week.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
Well, thanks for the all the great video's and the recommendation on the plane. We do need some ground videos of it.

Stringfly <>+++++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:53 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Indeed!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:56 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Just ordered mine 2day. $129 with free shipping.
What Rx do you recommend, I have full range spectrum with sattelite in my Radian. Not sure this is required or extra insurance.
Tim
Can you tell us how to get the free shipping? Estimated UPS to me is $30+, or about an additional 25% of the price.
jcpatrick is online now Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:23 AM
Southwest VA, USA
Joined Apr 2008
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpatrick View Post
Can you tell us how to get the free shipping? Estimated UPS to me is $30+, or about an additional 25% of the price.
Follow the instructions on their homepage right now on Free Shipping here, http://www.bananahobby.com/

You have to select UPS Ground Shipping.
Then enter the code "SummerFlying".
0leur is online now Find More Posts by 0leur
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:23 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0leur View Post
Follow the instructions on their homepage right now on Free Shipping here, http://www.bananahobby.com/ You have to select UPS Ground Shipping. Then enter the code "SummerFlying".
Duh!! Must have looked over it a dozen times. Thanks for straightening me out.
jcpatrick is online now Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:57 AM
Yakkity Yak IMAC is back
Rockton, IL
Joined Nov 2009
971 Posts
Watching "ronht"s fly at our field convinced me to purchase my first glider. It arrived yesterday, and I gave it a quick look over last night.

Questions:
1-The (2) fuse halfs up front are not glued together, and can separate slightly. Is this supposed to be glued, and if so, making the fuse fit tight together up front around the motor makes the motor housing OD drag slightly on the foam?
2- The kit came with a tube of glue. Which areas of the simple build require glue, other than my question #1 above?
dabrandt22 is offline Find More Posts by dabrandt22