SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:22 AM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
703 Posts
Discussion
Changing Two Position Switch to Turnable Dial

I am looking to change one of my switches on my Dx6i to a turnable dial. Is this possible? I have searched both the site and google but did not find any relevant results.

I guess it is called a proportional knob?
Grips is online now Find More Posts by Grips
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:00 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,965 Posts
Very unlikely as a switch input is usually a 1 or a 0 logically. The CPU input will probably be looking for these conditions. An analog input such as a pot will be fed into an A converter. A Digital input will not understand an Analog input correctly and will jump from a logic 1 to a 0 or vice versa.
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips View Post
I am looking to change one of my switches on my Dx6i to a turnable dial. Is this possible? I have searched both the site and google but did not find any relevant results. I guess it is called a proportional knob?
Not a straight swap, have schematic for converting a Futaba 3ch motor
on/off switch to a rotary pot, but cannot convert drawing for use with a Dx6i
as no schematic held for that TX.
Suggest, for best results, repost this question under the RC Groups DIY Electronics Forum.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:25 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,833 Posts
My 0.02$ is that the radio is looking for open and close circuits from the switches on the DX6i that even if you did swap the switch to knob you would need to be able to reprogram the radio.

Friend of mine changed some switches on his expensive brand radio but the radio had a service menu that allowed the swap from 2 position to 3 position. I am not radio guru but pretty sure similar would be needed in this case.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:46 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
I'm virtually certain this cannot be done in any practical way with a DX6i. RC sailboat enthusiasts sometimes add an extra pot by cannibalising an unneeded input, like the elevator or ailerons, but that's not the same as adding a fifth proportional channel - and a DX6i is only designed for four of those.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:11 AM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
703 Posts
thanks for the input guys. I'm going to go with a 9x/flysky and see how that treats me for now.
Grips is online now Find More Posts by Grips