HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:22 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenop View Post
Just received my v2 retracts (with yellow lettering on them) and they are a bit higher compared to the v1's so they do not completely fit. Anyone else had the same problem?
There is a PDF file that FMS published with and for those on Raymond's site @ RC-Castel that show you what you have to do and modify to get those to fit
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Sep 01, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:49 PM
Doctorfoamy on Youtube
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Sep 2011
176 Posts
1 year flying experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAND X View Post
I really want this plane but don't like digging holes. My current flying experience is with a PZ T-28(50-60 flights) and PZ P-47(28 flights). Is this plane too big a jump for a 1st year pilot?
I bought the 1700mm FMS Mustang with one year of RC flying experience. My previous planes were Parkzone F4U, Parkzone P47, and Parkzone Extra 300. Once you have mastered how to fly a pattern, how to line up a landing and how to set up a nice stable glide one final, you will be fine with the FMS 1700. In truth, it is more stable and less affected by the wind. If you dial in about 70% D/R and 30% Expo, you will find that the plane actually flys like it is on a rail.

I even bought the DuraFly 1100mm P-51 Frankie so that I could fly smaller fields while enjoying the stability of this design..but the 1700mm is easier to takeoff, easier to land and is more "scale" in its flying characteristics.

Advice for the 1700 mm Mustang

- takeoff and land on a flat surface with lots of room to the left of takeoff so that the torque pull doesn't put you into the weeds. You can hold rudder all you want .....anything above half throttle on takoff makes the bird hook to the left. I have viewed many of the videos made by the guys that frequent this forum and have seen that torque management during takeoff and landing is a common issue. Unless you want to spend most of your life repairing gears, struts, cracks in the wing...take off and land it on pavement for your first dozen flights. Practice the gradual application of power while holding the nose up and avoiding a prop strike.

- keep 25 to 30% throttle on while setting up your landing glide. Fly a landing profile that brings the plane from a fairly high altitude with full flaps to a level flight just above the runway. Keep the nose pointed slightly down and the speed slightly up while flying this profile to avoid a tip stall. Fly a landing approach that puts you level at 1-2 feet...then reduce the throttle to set it down on your mains. Many people crash this plane by gliding without throttle on final, and then hitting full throttle low to the ground when they choose to go-around. When flying low and slow, the torque of the 4-blade prop can be a killer as many of these planes roll left, power stall the wing and cartwheel.

- others are correct in stating that a cheaper plane is better for learning, but that statement is because the cost of the smaller airframe...not that the smaller plane is easier to fly, because in fact it may not be. If you are like me and have spent your first year flying 5-15 flights per week while learning how to fly in various conditions with a variety of planes, then you should be ready for this bird.

I took this video 12 months after flying my first RC aircraft, and after having flown the 1700 Mustang about 8-10 times. From here, I'll let you be the judge of your own training and skills because your 1700mm Mustang has the ability to easily fly just as scale and stable as this.

FMS 1700mm P-51 Mustang at Texas Motor Speedway.m2t (4 min 49 sec)
jlkitz is offline Find More Posts by jlkitz
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:32 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,823 Posts
Also, on take off, use copious amounts of right rudder! you forgot to mention rudder management.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:35 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Nobody else has had wing fit issues? I just wanted to ask again before I sand the wing roots.

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:50 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wallace View Post
Nobody else has had wing fit issues? I just wanted to ask again before I sand the wing roots.

Aaron
Nope, but I'm not sure I would recomend doing that? There is going to be a small gap visible at the bottom,just because of the way the foam fits together, but if you sand it to try and tighten it up you may end up with misaligned wing bolt and hole locations between the wing and the fuselage....could make matters worse?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:49 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Thanks Brandon. I checked the wing bolt alignment and it looks like I can take off a little from the center portion where it appears to buldge out a bit. The wing rod tube ends are already recessed so that will not be an issue. If it were not so bad I would leave it. Maybe I can take a photo and post it here first.

Thanks again.

Aaron
Last edited by Aaron Wallace; Sep 04, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:08 PM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined May 2012
67 Posts
Hi, also got bad alignment 2mm front and 3-4mm rear, got bended aluminum tube for wing rod what version ?
vilhelmsson is offline Find More Posts by vilhelmsson
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:23 PM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined May 2012
67 Posts
Hi, just figured out that i got the new retracts V2, also the ribon cable is replaced with better cables and conectors.
Are there som flexible filler i can use i the gap?
Got this one from Lindinger Austria 419€ at my doorstep :-)
Anders
vilhelmsson is offline Find More Posts by vilhelmsson
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:26 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkitz View Post
I took this video 12 months after flying my first RC aircraft, and after having flown the 1700 Mustang about 8-10 times. From here, I'll let you be the judge of your own training and skills because your 1700mm Mustang has the ability to easily fly just as scale and stable as this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenop View Post
So my advice would be to get the 1400mm version first to practice on take-off's and landings even though the 1700mm version really flies better and more stable in windy conditions. Heck, it's the best, smoothest and powerful looking plane I have ever flew, love it!
Thanks for the opinions...I currently fly the P-47 with a G25 on 4S with a four blade prop so I do understand torque. The powers that be (wife) likes the red tail so I won't let her down! It's on order and now I have a lot of posts to read. Is there a short list anywhere?
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:59 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Again on the thrust alignment. Down and right is obviously designed into it but, mine seems to have the down but no right thrust. I am thinking that I should put some washers between the motor and the motor mount on the left side. There is a lot of torque in this plane. Anyone else have this issue?

Aaron
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
That might be good to try...I was going to do that also, But just hadn't got arround to it yet. It will also require realigning the nose cowl piece a bit ...as I also looked at doing that a while back
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:45 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,935 Posts
Nice P-51B in this video
Merlin Madness Pt. I (3 min 2 sec)
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, WA, Everett
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
These flew right over my house. Live right next to Paine field in Everett WA. Great place to be to watch rare warbirds, paul allens collection is just one of them based here. Those planes were from Historic flight museum.
rlgdestroyu is offline Find More Posts by rlgdestroyu
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:24 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
That might be good to try...I was going to do that also, But just hadn't got arround to it yet. It will also require realigning the nose cowl piece a bit ...as I also looked at doing that a while back
Brandon,

I think that the reason that my cowl / spinner alignment is off is because the cowl is aligned for the right thrust but, the motor mount does not have it. I think that once I put some washers on the motor mount it will all line up better.

The wing I have not figured out yet.

Aaron
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:02 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,823 Posts
Today I weighted up the plane to 5kg flying weight (bigger battery). Much better tracking and not as floaty. It also sinks nicely on approach as the extra inertia doesn't let it balloon when a wind gust hits it. I'm thinking it could still be a bit better, so I will try it with a flying weight of 5.5kg next time.

I'll be sure to grease the landing though as I don't want to bust the gear.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit