SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:19 PM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,902 Posts
hi i was wondering is anyone here can tell me what esc i should grab on this setup.

tacon 2860 2550kv w/cs 10 blade 70mm
5s 3300mah 30c

additional details.

i most absolutely do want retracts on this plane. im aware that this will make my plane much heavier resulting in lost of performance. but it will still fly correct?

please forum, any advice im listening!

oos.
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock
Last edited by out of stock; Sep 06, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:28 AM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Oct 2006
236 Posts
Do you know how many amps that motor uses? I'd go for an 80A Esc or over just to be safe.
Roen is offline Find More Posts by Roen
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
John
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2011
436 Posts
Well well well... After reading 45 straight pages of this thread over the last couple of hours... I have decided to jump to the last couple of pages... it looks like I am going to be looking into getting this plane... retracts/canards/rudder/changesun 10 Blade 70mm.... and a few other mods....
jk671 is offline Find More Posts by jk671
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
598 Posts
I crashed my Dynam Meteor today boo hoo. I have been eyeballing this Rafale for a while and pulled the trigger on it this afternoon. I plan on using the undamaged Dynam 70mm fan in this plane, do you think it will be suitable ?
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Oct 2006
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield View Post
I crashed my Dynam Meteor today boo hoo. I have been eyeballing this Rafale for a while and pulled the trigger on it this afternoon. I plan on using the undamaged Dynam 70mm fan in this plane, do you think it will be suitable ?
I had a Dynam 70mm EDF unit in mines bought as a combo pack from nitroplanes, and it wasn't sufficient enough to move the plane... in other words, it was too underpowered with this airframe. I had to keep the throttle at close to max every time to gain and maintain speed. I didn't have retracts either but rather a fixed gear setup at the time, and I was using a 14.8V 2200mah Sky Lipo battery. AUW at the time was only about 1200kg +/-.

Now I'm running an RCLander DPS 68mm 4000KV EDF unit and it was a world of difference in performance. The setup I have now, which is in my blogs if you want more information about it, is slightly heavier than what I had before, but all made up with better performance with the RCLander unit. Not very fast but it'll move the plane better than the Dynam EDF.
Last edited by Roen; Sep 19, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:03 PM
United States, CO, Hayden
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock View Post
hi i was wondering is anyone here can tell me what esc i should grab on this setup.

tacon 2860 2550kv w/cs 10 blade 70mm
5s 3300mah 30c

additional details.

i most absolutely do want retracts on this plane. im aware that this will make my plane much heavier resulting in lost of performance. but it will still fly correct?

please forum, any advice im listening!

oos.
I have the same combo in my T-50 on a turnigy 80amp esc ,2650 45c 5cell. hand luncher. weighs 3.2 lbs. and i'm in Denver.
B_rad71 is online now Find More Posts by B_rad71
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:04 PM
United States, CO, Hayden
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_rad71 View Post
I have the same combo in my T-50 on a turnigy 80amp esc ,2650 45c 5cell. hand luncher. weighs 3.2 lbs. and i'm in Denver.
get about 4min flights. all is around 100 degrees temp. awesome system. oh and the sound .... sweeeeeet......
B_rad71 is online now Find More Posts by B_rad71
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:35 PM
Sulphur Springs, Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2 Posts
No!
I just received my Rafale and it has two LEFT (port) wings. I will be happy to trade a left for a right (starboard)wing.
Any one interested?
Scratch one is offline Find More Posts by Scratch one
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:57 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,957 Posts
Difference Lander vs. Dynam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
I had a Dynam 70mm EDF unit in mines bought as a combo pack from nitroplanes, and it wasn't sufficient enough to move the plane... in other words, it was too underpowered with this airframe. I had to keep the throttle at close to max every time to gain and maintain speed. I didn't have retracts either but rather a fixed gear setup at the time, and I was using a 14.8V 2200mah Sky Lipo battery. AUW at the time was only about 1200kg +/-.

Now I'm running an RCLander DPS 68mm 4000KV EDF unit and it was a world of difference in performance. The setup I have now, which is in my blogs if you want more information about it, is slightly heavier than what I had before, but all made up with better performance with the RCLander unit. Not very fast but it'll move the plane better than the Dynam EDF.
Roen, can you say something about the difference in power (how many Watts in the Dynam, how many Watts in the Lander) - I am wondering if it's just a power issue, or if the Lander rotor geometry is more suited to the double exhaust on the Rafale. I initially wanted to put a Change Sun 70 in but it seems you need a lot more power in the CS70 than in a 5-blader - didn't expect there to be a difference between two "traditional" fans like Lander and Dynam
thanks!
Clemens
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Oct 2006
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
Roen, can you say something about the difference in power (how many Watts in the Dynam, how many Watts in the Lander) - I am wondering if it's just a power issue, or if the Lander rotor geometry is more suited to the double exhaust on the Rafale. I initially wanted to put a Change Sun 70 in but it seems you need a lot more power in the CS70 than in a 5-blader - didn't expect there to be a difference between two "traditional" fans like Lander and Dynam
thanks!
Clemens
The Dynam EDF I've had pulled about roughly around 700 watts peak in its 3000KV motor while I'm getting about roughly around 1000 watts in my 4000KV RCLander. I ran both using a 14.8V battery setup.

I can't say much about a 10 blade setup since I've never considered it in my plane but I do know it's going to bump up the amperage requirements plus a slightly lower KV motor for the needed torque to run the 10 blade fan.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:30 AM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch one View Post
No!
I just received my Rafale and it has two LEFT (port) wings. I will be happy to trade a left for a right (starboard)wing.
Any one interested?
I can not believe that this is still happening
tdab is online now Find More Posts by tdab
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post

Thanks for the info, I ended up putting the Dynam fan in an Alpha jet I had up in the attic ( it came with a 64mm but if shelled out). Flew the Alpha this morning and performance was great. I will be getting the RCLander unit for the Rafale.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield View Post
Thanks for the info, I ended up putting the Dynam fan in an Alpha jet I had up in the attic ( it came with a 64mm but if shelled out). Flew the Alpha this morning and performance was great. I will be getting the RCLander unit for the Rafale.
Nice to hear the Dynam fan did well for your Alpha jet. As for my Dynam EDF, I almost forgot to mention that the motor ended up burning out while it was in my Rafale months ago under constant WOT. I was running on 4S Lipo's as previously mentioned, and I thought that was odd considering that the EDF came as a combo pack with the 60A ESC and servos so I would think that the 60A was more than enough for the amperage draw of the motor. Luckily, I still had power for the servos and I was able to guide and land the plane back safely. I figured I may have forgot to program the ESC's timing prior to operation of the EDF. Oh well. Lesson's learned, right?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,114 Posts
Quote:
No!
Any one interested?
It happened again after those years ???
I just cross this jet out of my order list for good....
thx for the heads up.
flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Oct 2006
236 Posts
Quote:
No!
Any one interested?
Just when we thought that problem has been solved or addressed after a few people on here actually received the correct wings for their planes very recently...sorry to hear about that...