SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Feb 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I have the rebranded version of this fun little boat, called Revell Tide Breaker, and wonder what the best replacement battery for the stock Li-Ion one is. I've been looking at the Zippy Compact 850 mAh 25C, which is about the same weight as the stock lipo, has similar dimensions, and should offer better performance, as it has higher capacity, and higher discharge rate. Anyone else tried this one, or has a better idea?
nanotech 2s 850mah fits perfect has tons of power.
T3rry is offline Find More Posts by T3rry
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2013, 11:35 PM
Joined Jul 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
So my saga of a defective FT007 continues, BG sent me parts but the piece of crap still doesn't run right and makes grinding sounds. I told them I want a refund or a new boat so they said they are going to send me a new boat. Now just have to wait another 3 weeks to get it. Hey it's only going on 3 months psshhh!
look the shaft... is the shaft! buy one new!
Bechito is offline Find More Posts by Bechito
Old Sep 07, 2013, 12:51 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
nanotech 2s 850mah fits perfect has tons of power.
It's listed as being a little heavier and longer (60 mm vs 52) than the stock battery. So that's no problem?
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:41 PM
Joined Feb 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
It's listed as being a little heavier and longer (60 mm vs 52) than the stock battery. So that's no problem?
no, it has a much higher constant and burst output so that more than makes up for the weight
T3rry is offline Find More Posts by T3rry
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:43 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,758 Posts
If the motor can use that higher output, so is in fact limited in it's performance by the stock battery, it will certainlt make up for that. I've got those Nanos underway now.

Does motor heat increase with the longer running time and hgher top power you have with the Nanos? After all, this boat has no water cooling.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:01 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,134 Posts
I have both the Zippy and Nantotech 850's, but I'm using them in my WL Toys V262 and the Zippy will puff after a hard flight whereas the Nanotech will not.

Stock battery = 42 grams
Turnigys 850 = 49 grams
Zippy 850 = 41 grams

I haven't tried either in my FT007 yet and I am concerned about heat and longer run times in addition to the added power\weight.

Good to see you over here SPF
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:18 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
I have both the Zippy and Nantotech 850's, but I'm using them in my WL Toys V262 and the Zippy will puff after a hard flight whereas the Nanotech will not.

Stock battery = 42 grams
Turnigys 850 = 49 grams
Zippy 850 = 41 grams

I haven't tried either in my FT007 yet and I am concerned about heat and longer run times in addition to the added power\weight.

Good to see you over here SPF

Especially in a closed hull, with no water cooling, heat can be an issue. The fan on the motor helps a little, but after a while the air inside the boat will simply heat up, as there is no fresh air flowing inside, and moving fresh air doesn't cool anything.

Also nice to be here, few may know that years ago I started out my "RC career" (or should I say addiction ) with boats, then added cars, and much later, with the rise of the sub micro infrared and sub micro 45 degree FP single rotors, RC flight was added to my RC life. So RC boats are my roots, and when I saw this boat demonstrated, in the Revell "clothing" I had to have one.

Yesterday I ran mine on a canal with some breeze and resulting waves. The boat was like a stone you throw in the water, which bounces on the water surface a few times, funny and exciting to see. Even had to use the self righting feature, at first didn't know I had to reverse, and then full throttle forward, but luckily I found out before I really needed to use this "escape" option. Certainly adds to the feeling of security when taking out this little boat in conditions that you would normally not send out a speedboat into.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Jul 2013
666 Posts
If you are not careful, in full reverse, you can submerge the boat.. I had to say to the youngster' politely with his father there. You are not a wave runner lol.

Yes this boat does love to skip. that is the speed of it in micro size, Lol. on a sheet of ice, glass of ice she goes.

I wonder about that fan, if it was not there, the boat will not upright? so I wonder if it is really a cooling fan??? it is not a circle, but oval???
crave is online now Find More Posts by crave
Old Sep 13, 2013, 02:22 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,758 Posts
The fan is for cooling mostly, it's blades are angled so it pushes air to the motor. Maybe it also adds weight to the shaft so it gets more torque effect when reversing, then forward the motor, but being plastic, I think the motor's rotor adds much more to this effect.

You can also submerge the boat on forward mode. I tend to sail in the canal, also in some waves, and today it suddenly disappeared. It stayed under for a good 10 gut wrenching seconds, already thought I had lost it. Then suddenly it popped up on the surface again, upright, and ready to go on. Took it to the shore on a moderate speed, to check how much water had entered. A few drops here and there, more than after a normal run, even with a few flips, but considering it was a submarine for 10 seconds or so, it was much less than expected, and not enough to threaten the electronics.

I guess it went in on a near vertical angle, when it bounced of that critical wave, and since the motor will only cut out a few seconds after signal was lost under water (2.4 GHz has very poor range there), the boat was most likely pushed down further. Then the motor stopped, it lost momentum, and began to rise to the surface again.

I wanted to slap myself the first seconds it seemed lost, as I knew I was taking some risk taking it out in these conditions, but afterwards felt relieved knowing this little boat can even survice some "submarine duty" unharmed.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 02:39 PM
Joined Jul 2013
8 Posts
I am using this heatsink on my boat to prevent any damages to the motor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200940122070...84.m1439.l2649
Bechito is offline Find More Posts by Bechito
Old Sep 13, 2013, 02:54 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,758 Posts
Did you measure motor temps before and after fitting this heat sink? As the boat is a closed system, the air inside will warm up sooner or later, and a heat sink will not have as much effect as when it gets fresh air flowing over it.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:59 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
This boat is really fun in a small pond! I had fun racing it with my buddy.
FT007 - racing around a circuit (3 min 59 sec)

We were able to get 3 boats running together earlier in the day. Howver, after a few batteries, we had problems - one of our buddies boat refused to bind to his own Tx. It was able to bind to our Tx though - meaning that my Tx is controlling 2 boats...
We tried to switch off all boats and Tx, and bind them one by one, but it won't work.
We have had this problem since day 1 with the FTs. If anyone has a solution that doesn't involve replacing the rx/esc, I would be most grateful.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:04 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
I'm looking for a catamaran which is similar in class to the FT007.
Anyone has any experience with the Joysways Magic Cat? Is it also a turn left boat like FT007?

http://www.banggood.com/Joysway-8108...t-p-70523.html
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Sep 14, 2013, 11:54 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,758 Posts
Mine turns right very well too. But you will always get it to turn one side better then the other, due to propwalk.

As for the cat, I doubt it can run 10 minutes or longer, as specfied in that add, on a battery about 1/3 rd of the capacity of the battery in the FT007
Old Sep 15, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Apr 2013
12 Posts
Removal of Flex Shaft

I just got my boat today and I want to apply marine grease to the flex shaft before I run it for the 1st time.
I can't figure out how to remove the flex shaft from the boat and the metal tube. Any help would be useful.

One more thing, How long should the battery be kept for charging?.. Is the charger provided with the boat good or should I buy a separate balance charger?..
kartman13 is offline Find More Posts by kartman13