HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Thank you, I actually ordered from you guys this week and my items are in transit
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:53 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickw View Post
A prop spinning without power is a good airbrake and will slow the plane down.
If the ESC brake is OFF the prop will keep spinning until you touch down and will also slow the plane down on the glide (not good if you want to spend time gliding).
If the ESC brake is ON the prop should stop spinning with power off, but can stop anywhere - e.g. horizontal or vertical.

Dick
Ah!, got it

Cheers mate!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:04 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,416 Posts
Note the brake may not stop the prop if the airplane isn't slowed down. I've had braked props continue to windmill until the speed drops enough for the brake to work against the airload.
I've had a folded prop rip the motor right off the mount when I added a lot of power while it was folded. One blade trailed just a bit past straight back, and didn't unfold while the prop on the other side did! Add power cautiously..
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Note the brake may not stop the prop if the airplane isn't slowed down. I've had braked props continue to windmill until the speed drops enough for the brake to work against the airload.
I've had a folded prop rip the motor right off the mount when I added a lot of power while it was folded. One blade trailed just a bit past straight back, and didn't unfold while the prop on the other side did! Add power cautiously..
Thanks for the heads up. did you have a prop stop on their when it did that?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:31 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,416 Posts
It was a pusher prop which when folded went a bit more than straight back when folded. I use a spinner now to keep the blades just a bit less than straight back.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
It was a pusher prop which when folded went a bit more than straight back when folded. I use a spinner now to keep the blades just a bit less than straight back.
Oh I see. I ordered a spinner and a prop stop. They can be used together right?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:49 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,416 Posts
What is a "prop stop"?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:00 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,204 Posts
it is a mechanical fold limiter, used so you're propeller blades don't both fold past center line
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:48 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
What is a "prop stop"?
It's the beige looking object under the bolt in this image. It prevents your prop from going too far back.