SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:16 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
129 Posts
Question
New to this, maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

I want to build a rig to carry a dslr or red epic sized camera probably using the Cinestar 3 axis gimbal.

Is there a perceivable difference between a large hex and a octo in stability?

I understand that Kv ratings determine the speed of the motor but there is a lot of conflicting information on what type is best. Will a lower speed disc type motor with a bigger prop be better for a video platform? And how low is too low? 390kv motors with 15 inch carbon or wood props?

Is the Turnigy Multistar range any good? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html

I see most larger rigs use T-Motor maybe I'll just go for those.
Pelagic is offline Find More Posts by Pelagic
Last edited by Pelagic; Jan 05, 2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: easier to read :)
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:34 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,085 Posts
To answer your last question first, yes- you should build a simple quad and learn to fly it before you go for the big rig you have in mind. Multirotors are not that hard to fly once you know how (LOL) and they can be set up so that they practically fly themselves. That being said, it's a really good idea to know how to PILOT a multi so that when your nearly autonomous system stops being autonomous you might have a decent chance of getting it back in one piece. There are plenty of stories in these forums about beginners that managed to turn very expensive equipment into piles of carbon fiber shards during their first flights because they had no idea at all about how to fly. Much better to have that experience with something cheap and easy fo fix if you see what I mean.

Those little toys that you can buy RTF look like fun, but I don't believe that they can fully prepare you for fly a full size multi. Part of the art of flying multirotors is learning to tune them so that they will do what you want. These forums are full of people complaining because they can't get their equipment to work properly. Build that simple quad and make it work first so that your big rig will have a fighting chance of surviving its first flight. As far as I know, those little toy multis won't teach you anything about tuning PIDs.

Octos are a better choice than anything else for AP mainly because of redundancy. If they lose a motor, they'll still fly. A hex can do that too, but getting it down intact will probably be a bit more exciting than with an octo.

As far as smoothness and stability goes, that depends on how well you've learned to tune and setup your machine, doesn't it I've seen superb footage from expertly tuned quads.

Common wisdom is that lower KV motors turning larger props slowly gives the best stability for photography.

As for the rest of your questions, there are no shortage of people here that'll be glad to get down to specifics with you, so I'll leave off now.


PS- you changed you post quite a bit while I was busy writing my long response
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:18 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
PS- you changed you post quite a bit while I was busy writing my long response
Thanks very much for your reply. Yes after I read the whole thing I realized it was way too much ask in one thread so I narrowed it down to the most important things.

I'm thinking of buying one of the HL frames from flyduino and just set it up as a quad with a simple controller. They look nice and seem to be modular so I can learn to fly that and just add the rest to it if it survives my learning curve.
Pelagic is offline Find More Posts by Pelagic
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:24 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Thanks very much for your reply. Yes after I read the whole thing I realized it was way too much ask in one thread so I narrowed it down to the most important things.

I'm thinking of buying one of the HL frames from flyduino and just set it up as a quad with a simple controller. They look nice and seem to be modular so I can learn to fly that and just add the rest to it if it survives my learning curve.
Excellent strategy- you'll have a lot of fun along the way. One nice thing about starting simple and learning to tune and fly is that your ideas about what you want will evolve and mature along the way. You'll be much more likely to end up with what you really want (and need) than if you just ran out and bought it all now as a newcomer.

I wish you success in your endeavor.
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:44 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
Excellent strategy- you'll have a lot of fun along the way. One nice thing about starting simple and learning to tune and fly is that your ideas about what you want will evolve and mature along the way. You'll be much more likely to end up with what you really want (and need) than if you just ran out and bought it all now as a newcomer.

I wish you success in your endeavor.
Thanks again, I really cant wait to tinker with this stuff. Just sitting here looking at these aerobatics from warthox. (link) makes me want to learn to fly these just for fun too.
Pelagic is offline Find More Posts by Pelagic
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:11 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Thanks again, I really cant wait to tinker with this stuff. Just sitting here looking at these aerobatics from warthox. (link) makes me want to learn to fly these just for fun too.

LOL- evolving already.
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! nano-fpv quadcopter, please help me fill in the blanks! (FPV noob) flying toaster FPV Talk 21 Mar 14, 2013 10:06 PM
Discussion First Quad - Can anyone please help me fill in the blanks to finish the inventory? spencerwilliams Multirotor Talk 8 Dec 29, 2012 10:54 AM
Discussion Help filling in the blanks on my build, mostly battery and charger related dedfish Multirotor Talk 2 Jun 21, 2012 01:15 PM
Joke Fill in the blank GWFAMI Humor 14 Mar 26, 2012 07:38 PM
Discussion Can it get easier? Fill in the blanks? Common Sense RC Electric Plane Talk 10 Aug 31, 2007 12:53 AM