San Mateo, CA
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Dec 2012
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
There is nothing cool about 57 states

57 is not 47, and I could have been drunk and stoned and not made that mistake,
no matter what the teleprompter was telling me to say.

It is this guy's job to know these things...

It makes one wonder what else he doesn't know.
I think most of the unemployed folks would not believe the stuff he does not know but more importantly he does not care about either!! It reminds me of the Communist countries where their leaders were and still are the party folks very much in line with the structure / management of our Unions ( some voted in for life), no skills but hanging on to their power and bennies for dear life!! Been there, seen that, seen the regime work. OK that's all Folks. back to Helis now!!
HPCR is offline Find More Posts by HPCR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:06 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,869 Posts
Information removed.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:52 PM
Joined Dec 2012
393 Posts
Yeah I've learned the trick where you drop throttle to 20 or 30 percent and let the gyro bar lose orientation, then power back up all without losing too much altitude.
resago is offline Find More Posts by resago
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:16 PM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
I am amazed i got my new pcb and did the solder work put it back together and bam the heli was able to hover for about 5 to 6 sec before i had to use any input of the sticks i just of had a bad gyro in the last board but as for the xieda it flies like crap all over the place i swear one big fart and it would send that heli off course
Dweenie is offline Find More Posts by Dweenie
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:45 PM
enter a new realm.....
Joined Dec 2012
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
Have you been keeping track how many flights you have made?

I have never had a main motor last more than around 60 flights.

Most of my tail motors have started to lose power around 20-30
flights, and completely die at around 50

I'll knock on wood for you again

84 flights so far--(I log every flight- charge times, flight times, batt. voltage before and after charge, wind dir. and speed, air temps, etc. ect.)
my friend has my laser pyrometer which I will use to take batt. temp and motor temps. at various stages as soon as I bug him for it back...

how and why my gear has lasted so long,,,,well I have no *%*!@*# idea
simz is offline Find More Posts by simz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 450 PRO FP build
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:07 AM
Joined Dec 2012
393 Posts
I think I've figured out how to dampen the procession problem.
We need a spring that acts on the gyro bar to return it to perpendicular with the main shaft. All I did was slide a two inch piece of zip tie under the bar centered under its pivot. Ultimately we n need a progressive spring that resists the more it's bent.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:32 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,480 Posts
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; May 07, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:31 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,869 Posts
9116 Adjustable Flybar

Information removed.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:17 AM
Just a 9116 flyer.
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Dec 2012
622 Posts
Steve,
That looks like a skeleton now. You gunna paint it a "scary" fluro colour?

Q? for you.

The plastic base plate that the motor mounts to, has 2 small protrusions that slot into the side plate/s.
They are directly on the centre line of the motor.

This Super 16D motor will be mounted sideways (90 degs to the original) & it looks like I'll have to remove both lips or a goodly portion there-of, of the base plate to let it sit flush. I think I may need about 1.5 mm from both sides of the moulded base.
This may possibly also remove the 2 small protrusions.

I'm stuck on how to reinforce the base plate & motor to stop it flexing too much.

Any ideas, please?
L..
ps. I might be able to mount the new motor without any major mods to the motor plate, just by making a small spacer to fit under the motor to fill the gap.

pps. It's just possible that both aluminium side plates will act as heat sinks, coz of the extra girth of the S 16D motor.

Will see.
Rajah235 is offline Find More Posts by Rajah235
Last edited by Rajah235; Jan 19, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Dec 2012
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Now why on earth would you want to do that? That would kill all movement entirely. You bought a heli with a head designed to fly like a coax and don' t like it because it flies like a coax? This is a beginner heli. For most people, it's good for learning for about a month. You have a damping flybar with very high latency continually damping movement authority. Every rotation means less and less movement. You counter this by doing something that moves the head (right, left, up, down, whatever). If you are experiencing pendulum effects you counter them with tiny movements in the opposite direction. Get used to doing this. You will need to do it constantly when you move on to a more difficult heli and it certainly seems like you are ready.
Yes, dampening the bar does require more constant input like a cp. I doesn't seem to reduce movement authority. once you set the heli on a heading or angle it trends to stay there now. It all depends on how much resistance the gyro bar sees from the spring. Like I said if you use a plate spring like a bow, small movements from the gyro bar will meet little resistance to give you stable hover, but larger movement from the bar gets dampened proportionally. It made for a rewarding flight.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:40 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,488 Posts
It flies OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
Well I went and moved the pcb under the motor. The gyro is exactly 1/2" in front of the main shaft. It's a little further back and lower than the position simz has his mounted. The front edge (which was previously the back edge) of the pcb is in line with the front screw of the outer side plate.

I was a little worried that it might be tail heavy, but it's not. It had a heavy drift to the left that it didn't have before the mod, but I trimmed it out at the swashplate and it hovers fine.

Tomorrow I'll try it outside and take some pictures to post. I think probably the concerns over the gyro not working right due to repositioning are unfounded. At least I hope they are!
Well I flew it a little today but didn't push it because it's real windy and only 25 degrees. It flies fine, but differently than before. The best way I can describe it is that the heli feels like it flies lighter, if that makes any sense. It'll take some getting used to, but I think I'm going to like it.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
I just installed a extreme 180a in my heli and a new tail motor. In flight the bird rotates clockwise. I adjusted tx to full 120% to counteract and it still rotates cw. I can get it to almost no rotation by adding all my left sub trim in flight. Does this sound normal. I thought that the extreme motor would have more torque. And that if anything it would want to rotate ccw. Any thoughts?

Ken
camano27 is offline Find More Posts by camano27
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:54 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,480 Posts
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; May 07, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Hey guys, i have another question. Im tinkering with my servo linkages trying to get the swash level. Is it normal for the swash to lean backwards with throttle, but level without?
Fathead is offline Find More Posts by Fathead
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:42 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
3,869 Posts
Information removed.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 20, 2013 at 04:57 PM.