HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
But what doesnt seem very clear to me, is how do you handle setting PID and such.
a) start MultiWiiConf; click with mouse on PID's and set them to value you like
b) # to get into CLI, 'set p_roll = 6', 'save'

Everything is described in manual (did you read that PDF?).

Quote:
Which client version though, since for normal multiwii it has to match to the firmware version or it simply clams up.
Latest. As allways, the same with multiwii - you use latest version, that's all.
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
There are two "latest versions". Theres the old (crashy) java based multiwi_conf and then theres the rewritten multiwii windows client.
Both throw a fit if the firmware present does not match the version of the config software.
So I guess this baseflight stuff will just trick the multiwii software into thinking its the right one then?

The only manual that came remotely close to this afroboard was this one:
http://www.abusemark.com/downloads/naze32_rev2.pdf
But obviously half of it doesnt match up, plus no mention of actually setting up the PIDs.
Im trying, but its not gonna be easy if I have to drudge through a 300 page thread..
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Last edited by Freakazoid; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
TC has ported MWC 2.1 to his boards. Just flash it with that, open MWC Config and change whatever you want to change. Works just like any other multiwii board. But yes, SOME features have to be turned on and off with some kind of telnet client or whatever they're called. Usually stuff like multi rotor type, servo direction for tricopters etc. But once you've done that you don't have to touch the client ever again.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:02 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
Oh so it's actually fully caught up to multiwii itself?
I thought I saw it was stuck on 1.9 but I tend to get lost on those Google code pages.
If it's just preliminary settings its fine, I thought I had to do every single thing through command prompts.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:06 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Sure. I use his port of MWC 2.1 on my second Naze32 board.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:32 PM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,514 Posts
Quote:
There are two "latest versions". Theres the old (crashy) java based multiwi_conf and then theres the rewritten multiwii windows client.
If you're counting unofficial versions too, then there are LOTS of multiwii config helpers (working and forgotten). I'm talking about official version - and it's only one.

Also RTM:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1653753
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:43 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
Well 33 pages is a lot easier to digest then 350 pages, so that helps, thanks.
And if the crappy java client is the "official" config helper, I might have a problem still.
Because on all 4 of my machines, that helper constantly just bugs out and poofs after 30 seconds at most.
The windows version has been most reliable for me, but im guessing if 2.1 multiwii works fine, naze32 is gonna be dandy too.

Also, all manuals stipulate keeping a close eye on 3 leds, so with the afro-mini only having two, I wonder how thats gonna work out.
Im hoping that the afro is mentionned somewhere on those 33 pages.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Im hoping that the afro is mentionned somewhere on those 33 pages.
That micro board isn't mentioned anywhere.
Probably you we're searching for board, but i wasn't thinking that you can't solve even basic problems, so probably that board isn't for you...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:48 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
I'm supposed to "solve a basic problem" for a board that has virtually no documentation whatsoever, by looking at manuals that simply dont comply?
All guides mention watching three LEDs when going through key processes of setting things up, yet this thing does not have aforementioned LEDs.
How am I supposed to follow ANY guide when the hardware simply deviates from the apparent standard in such manner it breaks setup procedures.
What, did I miss a 300 page LED thread somewhere? Did I miss your special seminar about offbeat board designs?
Seriously, if you're just gonna come around and make stuck up snarks about how stupid you think I am,
please go away and take your false hopes with you.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Anyway, mine's on the way. I'll use it with my brand new 4ch FrSky receiver that supports CPPM. Shouldn't be too hard to figure this one out. Re-flash with the FTDI adapter, hook up the servo lead to the CPPM port, bridge the appropriate pins to make the receiver operate in PPM mode, hook up the motor wires (Could be the only confusing part, since S1-S4 aren't labels used by Multiwii. I think most MWC boards use D3, D9, D10 and D11 for quads) and so on.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:15 PM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,514 Posts
Quote:
I'm supposed to "solve a basic problem" for a board that has virtually no documentation whatsoever, by looking at manuals that simply dont comply?
Sure, it has no manual.
By buying this board you confirm, that you already have basic knowledge about baseflight/multiwii and used this previously.
Wanna "pdf-supported" solution? Buy NAZE32. Wanna micro-board - get this one, but do not expect support for that.

I used it, it works great, had no problems set-up it, etc. But that does not means, that someone without basic computer knowledge could use it...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:35 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
Ive built more multicopters then I can count on my fingers, from breadboard scratchbuilt to fancy multiwii boards,
I even custom wrote some multiwii firmware myself so I could get headtracking with manual override mixed in.
But at least those builds were all comparable and mostly consistent with what everyone else was doing.
Are "the timecop people" really expecting everyone to be able to use this board going on blind guesswork?
There isn't even a schematic to look at to see why there are 2 leds instead of 3.

I guess if I cant get through the setup by more or less following the manual and ignoring nonexisting LED indications,
ill just lurk around and see what WiseDuck is gonna make of this odd LED business.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:05 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
You probably know more than I do. But really now, let's stay optimistic here. Besides, if we need help, help from TC is only an email away.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:18 PM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,514 Posts
Quote:
There isn't even a schematic to look at to see why there are 2 leds instead of 3.
It is one google search away. But well, hard to explain....

Short intro, how to get it flying:
- solder pins (board will be without pins, to reduce weight)
- connect FTDI or any USB-TTL adapter (incl. powering on board if adapter does not power on)
- it will be on quadx mode by default. Connect via putty (using procedure described in naze32 manual - it's the same, incl. baudrates, etc), and change if you need another mixed (type "mixer" and it will list available mixers)
- type "feature ppm" - because on that small board you will be using small RX's
- type "set looptime 5000" - because everyone will ask later "how to get smooth autolevel"???????????????////////////???????????
- type "save"
- connect ESC's, go fly. Depending on your RX channel order, you may need "map taer1234" command after "feature ppm" - if it lists channels in "throttle aileron elevator rudder" order - frsky, graupner does that.

Everything that is listed in guides, described in countless pages in forums, CLI has help also, etc....
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,800 Posts
@ WiseDuck : Yeah, probably just a whole lot less intimidating then it looks. I remember going Kkuk > multiwii.

@ ABLomas : THANK you. Just bare with me until I get this clowncar running and I wont bother you again.
For programming purposes I made a clothespin clamp with leads, I hate having mostly useless headers.
The receiver will be an assan mini in PPM mode, stripped of its headers it is the same size as the afro.
So I hope to shrinktube the RX right on underneath with hardwired PPMsum hookup.
Im considering just soldering the ESCs right on as well, a nice tight crud free unit.

Frame will be custom cut on my CNC machine but ill start a thread of its own for that one.
(I have something fun in mind using white props, 4 fat LEDs, a 555 IC and about 2.3KHz of awesomeness)

Those afro LEDs still bug me a little though. There's supposed to be blue power, green arm, and red autolevel mode.
So not sure which one timecop decided to scrap, but missing any one of those three is kinda miffed.
I'm guessing the power led has been changed to make the arm led flash until armed fully or something.
Ill just bugger with it once I get my hands on it, those LEDs will make sense somehow, im sure.
But according to your courteously provided "get goin" manual I wont need them to start it up, so for now, meh..

Back to reading.