josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:16 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,535 Posts
Just realized I stuck this in the DS week thread by mistake so will paste it here too:

Well my fluoro orange and red 2-pack paints arrived yesterday and look brilliant. It's not easy to get fluoro 2-pack and the people I got it from (Protec) are also discontinuing their fluoro lines. It had to be sent from interstate and is some of their last stock.

My colour consultant (10yo Julia) came out to the shed to help make the hard decisions about what colours. She strongly objected to using the same pattern as the previous Scratchos and said I should try something different. She sketched up a pattern with a huge sawtooth look but I bottled out and said nup, I'm sticking with the tried and proven pattern.

I was planning to have white in the same places, but change the yellow to flouro orange or red. But soon as she saw the fluoro red (which has quite a pinky tone) she was adamant that it had to be fluoro red where the yellow was, and yellow where the white was. I checked with the backup consultants inside (employee Greta and wife Janet) and they jumped at that too. So who am I to argue.

An hour or so of masking and some spraying had the yellow on late yesterday arvo. (the white and black bands under the wing and stab, and the black fuz, are already done). Despite being up way too late last night going to town to watch a young guy in the Standup Comedy State finals, I woke early and spent another hour masking and then painted the fluoro.

Main comments are that it's a very thin colour. I used a white primer but there were a few dark spots where I'd had to sand spots etc, or taken too much primer off the edges. The paint being very transparent shows these up. In future I'm switching to a better white primer - this Epotec one I've been using really sucks.

Anyway it took 4 good coats to get a really solid colour! Lovely colour however. My first ever time spraying fluoro, so I'm happy. The only thing remaining is to do the black pinstripes.

LATER:
Wow, the fluoro looks unreal. I ripped the masking off late this arvo and the fluoro red combined with the yellow is amazing. My paintjob isn't perfect but no biggie. I went through the painstaking masking process again and sprayed the black pinstripes. Apart from tidying things up, and strapping the batt pack and RX into the nose, that's it finished I think.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:54 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,535 Posts
USA heavy SCratcho finished

I ripped the masking off early this morning and here it is ... the final product, being held by Julia who is great with choosing colours but doesn't like to smile for the camera.

Not bad, if I say so myself.

On the subject of photos, I took these with the Nikon D3100, and at the same time I took some with the TM900 Camcorder. I had hoped that the camcorder's photos would be acceptable because it would save me from taking the Nikon to the States. But the photos are noticeably poorer quality than those from the SLR ... more grainy, not as sharp, and colours not as faithful, particularly with the fluoro. Maybe it will be better in good light (very overcast today). But there's also the issue of the dreaded digicam lag! When there's movement involved, it's press the button and wait for the random moment when the camera decides it's happy to take a photo. That's gonna drive me nuts when taking pics of fast-moving planes. So it looks like I'll be taking the SLR too.

The camcorder (Panasonic HDC TM900) has a nice feature however ... when you're filming video, you can press the photo button firmly and it will take a still photo while you're filming. Not a bad feature.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:07 PM
Hundredaire
Newcastle Australia
Joined Oct 2008
1,480 Posts
That colour scheme is fantastic Andrew.
Should have no problem telling up from down.
mams1 is online now Find More Posts by mams1
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:24 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,448 Posts
Nice Andrew....I think you can fly that one after dark..
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:29 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post

On the subject of photos, I took these with the Nikon D3100, and at the same time I took some with the TM900 Camcorder.
Great build and nice little thread Andrew... thank you.

On the subject of the D3100... I've been wanting to upgrade from my D90 and the 3100 looked to be in my range of needs/wants. Doesn't it do HD video? Have you attempted using it for video? Is there anything that you DON'T like about it?

I hope to meet you and el Scratcho at the beginning of your trip but it's looking doubtful as I'm leaving for my own trip on April 12th. (and I might want a new camera for that trip).

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:57 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,535 Posts
James, I think the D3100 is incredible. Yes, I've used it for HD video and my son has used it lots more than me. The quality of the HD video is in my non-professional opinion, brilliant. It has a CCD sensor so it has no problem coping with really fast moving objects which is a great plus.

However using an SLR is more inconvenient than using a normal camcorder for diverse types of filming where you're turning on and off, zooming in and out and changing focus rapidly. It's harder to hold and so on and you need to change lenses to get good zoom. And the auto focus is next to useless if the scene is changing much. You need to manually focus. The D3100 doesn't have a flipout LCD screen whereas I think the 5100 does. That would be a help.

So for the sort of stuff I like to do ... zooming in on planes, then wide view of the hill, then perhaps cutting in to the flyer and joking with him ... the camcorder is 100x easier to use. But if you're doing fairly static stuff or are prepared to fiddle, the D3100 gives great results. My son's a bit of an amateur cinematographer and he likes using it.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:10 PM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
666 Posts
Phwaaaaar! That's gonna look awesome on the shed wall - with a big "BSP 2012 - 400mph" written on the wing in texta.
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:54 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,334 Posts
Haha looks fantastic! You will never loose sight of that one!
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,153 Posts
Great build thread !! Got er done, time for the fun

Really nice work, very educational, and entertaining. Had the first big laugh in a week reading about you crawling round on the shop floor at eye level searching for the third-drafted missing horn... Been there man.

Nice job, AvB
KurtMc is offline Find More Posts by KurtMc
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:41 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,535 Posts
I had to sort out the issue of the sharp lips on the paint, where it was masked off. I block wet rubbed it back with 600, 1200 and 2000 grit.

The big news however was that my mate Alan (Livefibre) loaned me a proper panelbeating-style electric polisher with a foam pad. WOW!!!! I am in love! My life will not be complete unless I get one of those things!!! With a few blobs of Farecla G3 and a few lazy minutes of polishing I achieved more, and better than I ever achieved by hand! A gorgeous polish. I saw Joe Manor using one of these things in his workshop last year and thought - oh, yeah a guy like him can justify that ... but man, it's so amazing I'm gonna look into getting one!!!

After that I stuck the nice servo covers on ... the ones that Leo (Spotterone) gave me. I had painted them too. Can't believe I've actually achieved the aim of a lead-tipped carbon Scratcho, with wipers and with servo covers, in time for the trip!

I am a bit disappointed with the amount of head-rock and flex in the plastic arms in the JR94761Z's on the flaps, giving some softness/ slop. It would have been better to use alloy arms and bearings ... or MKS's. But it's gonna have to do now. I can always tape the flaps I guess.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:44 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,789 Posts
Quote:
.........................The big news however was that my mate Alan (Livefibre) loaned me a proper panelbeating-style electric polisher with a foam pad. ......................
Do you have any details of this machine Andrew? Brand etc.?
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:28 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,334 Posts
Quote:
The big news however was that my mate Alan (Livefibre) loaned me a proper panelbeating-style electric polisher with a foam pad. WOW!!!! I am in love! My life will not be complete unless I get one of those things!!! With a few blobs of Farecla G3 and a few lazy minutes of polishing I achieved more, and better than I ever achieved by hand! A gorgeous polish. I saw Joe Manor using one of these things in his workshop last year and thought - oh, yeah a guy like him can justify that ... but man, it's so amazing I'm gonna look into getting one!!!
I NEED to do that to my K100. It sorely and badly needs a polish. It is not looking too good after my wet rubbing. Info would be much appreciated.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,334 Posts
Which one of these applicators would you suggest? I found the Farecla G3 here too: http://www.wyatt.co.nz/shop/FARECLA+...plicators.html

was thinking of making a mandrel at work and using a power drill instead of a specific buffer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:53 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,344 Posts
Hey Alex, I got an orbital buffer from autobarn (do you have that in NZ?) for like $40. Its worked great
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18