SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:48 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,405 Posts
I'd just like to make a few quick notes about the build as of the maiden flight.

Because I was worried about rolls being too sensitive I decided to install control horns only on the bottom ailerons even though I've hinged all four ailerons. The top ailerons are temporarily fixed in place by a few bits of 6mm foam and double sided tape.

I also installed a small fiberglass spar on the upper wing. I originally intended the design to be sparless because I had great success with other 24 inch sparless designs. But in the end I chickened out and installed a spar anyway.

The final hardware for the maiden are:

Battery: either 2S 370mAh or 2S 610mAh (swapping between the two didn't require much trim changes, just a couple of clicks on the elevator).
Motor: AX 1806N 2100kv 19g brushless.
ESC: Hobbyking 15-18A SS series.
Prop: 6x4.3

The CG is roughly towards the rear of the cabanes. I'll update the plans later to indicate CG directly in the template so you can mark it as you build.

The elevator is trimmed almost neutral with just a couple of clicks up. Of course, angle of incidence between the wings and horizontal stabilizer is zero.

Amazingly, with zero dihedral on both wings she flies perfectly fine with just rudder and elevator. I actually have my transmitter set up so that I can change from ailerons to RET at the flick of a switch and for the maiden I mostly fly her in RET mode.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:05 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1,405 Posts
I decided to add a few more finishing touches. I made a spinner out of a block of foam by tacking the block onto a small wooden dowel with hotglue and then attaching the whole thing to a drill to make a simple lathe. I then formed the foam using a metal file and a block of sandpaper.

I stole the idea of how to attach the spinner from another build thread (sorry, can't find it right now). I used a plastic tube that fits snug on the motor shaft to extend the shaft and then installed the spinner onto the tube.

I also made a pair of spats (wheel pants) for the wheels. It's built up from 3mm depron. if anyone's interested I can post the template for them.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
I will start my build this week. This is going to be fun!!!
soulreaper is online now Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:52 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,495 Posts
Very attractive build!

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,405 Posts
Updated the plans to include CG location. I'd say it should be safe to shift the cg up to 2 cm forward and 1 cm back. She flies well with quite a wide range of CG.

Also included a template for the wheel pants. Should fit any 2 inch wheels. If not, scale it to fit.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:41 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaper View Post
I will start my build this week. This is going to be fun!!!
I'm looking forward to it.

I was tempted to build another just to see if there are any bugs with the current plans since I built mine based on the old incomplete and uncorrected plans. Please do inform me if you find any errors or need any clarifications.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:59 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1,405 Posts
Added a firewall template as promised. See first post.

I don't use a firewall for my motor installation so the template is untested but I don't see anything wrong with my measurements.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:16 PM
United States, NJ, Edgewater
Joined Feb 2012
200 Posts
DTF Pitty

I have the pitty mostly built. Here are a few pics of the plane so far.
vinnieg is offline Find More Posts by vinnieg
Last edited by vinnieg; Feb 13, 2014 at 04:25 PM.