Old Jan 18, 2014, 01:33 PM
I NEED a micro seaplane lrf!!!
Torino
Joined May 2007
324 Posts
Cool
Down-geared slow speed modified Parkzone micro linear servo

Hello guys

Thanks to all the experience and examples I found here on this forum I am studying some micro retracts for my UMX P51.

I was disappointed by the excessive speed of the retracts so I tried a way to have slower, more realistic undercarriage movements and came out with this solution - that I think is cooler than the retracts themselves and of more general use for other projects too (bomb doors opening? :-))

Basically:
Take whatever linear servo. I used one of the oldest 1.5 g Parkzone ones.
Pull away the spur from the worm. Put a Didel 60/12 spur at its place.
Put a Didel 40/12 spur on your choice of axle and "bearing".
Find the right place on the servo motor housing to glue the added gear. I had to use a 0.5 mm spacer.
REVERSE THE MOTOR WIRES!!! I didn't do it at first and almost destroyed the thing. Of course putting one more gear in the train reverses the train direction!

Enjoy a slower and stronger servo movement! :-)

maths: original servo gearing pinion 8 teeth spur 32 teeth so 1:4
new geartrain: 8 teeth to 40 teeth so 1:5 and then 12 teeth to 60 teeth so 1:5 again. If I am not wrong this gives a 1:25 total reduction ratio that should make the servo more than 6 times slower and its pull more than 6 times stronger.

The two gears from Didel cost more than the servo but are excellent stuff

Video
CAM00791 (0 min 21 sec)

sorry for the poor quality..
fabersum is offline Find More Posts by fabersum
Last edited by fabersum; Jan 18, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2014, 01:54 PM
Paris (France)
Joined Jan 2006
854 Posts
Very good idea! What kind of retracts are you going to use?
indoor_fr is offline Find More Posts by indoor_fr
Old Jan 18, 2014, 02:20 PM
Torino
Joined May 2007
324 Posts
I am making my own ones.. still under development..

CAM00767 (0 min 18 sec)

CAM00765 (0 min 14 sec)
Last edited by fabersum; Jan 18, 2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 02:34 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
does any force on the wheel transfer to the servo when up or down, or is it a full lock in both positions?
nice servo mod too btw, its fun to build different mechanics from servos and see them work
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jan 18, 2014, 02:39 PM
Torino
Joined May 2007
324 Posts
It's full lock in both positions.. new one will have a 92 movement instead of 90 to push the wheel a little further against the fuselage. And it will be larger and heavier because it has to take the place of the original Parkzone mounts. This one has a 10 x 10 mm footprint and is 6.6 mm high. weights less than the original mount.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 04:48 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,480 Posts
I like it!

That is some really cool servo hacking. With the slower speed you'll also get more power too, and that may come in handy with retracts. If the jack screw can take the 'strain' you don't need to bother with a locking mechanism on the retracts.

Retracts on a UMX P51 is also really cool! Too bad the wings are too thin to properly bury the wheels, but even folded flat against the wing would look great. Provided the retracts aren't too heavy. If I'm seeing your weights properly, the retract mechanism weighs less than the stock plastic gear clip. That's amazing! So you're really only stuck with the weight of the extra retract servo.

I've long wanted to put retracts on my UMX corsair (complete with the 90 rotation). If the aileron control could be re-routed to use a single servo, then the spare aileron servo could be re-used for retracts with no weigh penalty. Another project for another day (or lifetime)...

Since I've jumped on the Devo/Deviation transmitter combo, I can set the speed the servo moves directly in the transmitter. So no more mucking about with un-realistic servo speeds or slow speed servo circuits (or modified servos). Just program a switch to drop the gear at what ever speed I want.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Jan 18, 2014, 05:07 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,212 Posts
Thanks for posting this.
Can you please post links to the sources.
I'm interested in gearing the servo down to something wry slow like 7-10 rpm for a mechanical simulated machine gun noise maker
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Jan 18, 2014, 06:00 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,917 Posts
The gears come from Didel in Switzerland:
http://www.didel.com/News.html
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:01 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
670 Posts
Nice job. Can you substitute the gears with something less expensive?
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Old Jan 19, 2014, 01:20 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingjingjing View Post
Nice job. Can you substitute the gears with something less expensive?
BidProduct has some 0.5 module pinion gear cheap enough but probably not as high quality as Didel
http://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartview.php?id=6741
http://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartview.php?id=6737
They also have 0.5 module spur gears but most for 2mm shaft(check page #1,2,3...):
http://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartlist.php?start=1
Homefly also carry many small gears(Didel &WES-Technik) much easier to deal with than BidProduct and Didel
http://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=36
http://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=41
http://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=38
http://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=37
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 19, 2014, 08:49 AM
Faroe Islands/Germany
Joined Nov 2000
5,988 Posts
Mod 0.5 is bigger and heavier, probably not the best option.
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jan 19, 2014, 01:12 PM
Torino
Joined May 2007
324 Posts
Hi everybody

yeah I would like to find a cheaper alternative but it doesn't seem easy using readily available components. mod .5 gear is way too big, .3 already is big..
One possible source of suitable gears could be watches - but the classic one-dollar-chinese alarm clock I opened didn't had any suitable gear inside.
Since we are playing with a servo we could use not only gears but other less precise trasmission/reduction systems like pulley and belt.. but we would have to make our own parts anyway.
I don't think it would be possible to cut mod .2 gears on on my CNC router - the smaller router bits I use have a 0.3 diameter and are a pain to work with, they break just at watching at them.. and probably neither a lasercutter could cut such small teeth.. Epilot's opinion on this matter would be the most precious for his knowledge and direct experience..

This Japanese guy makes amazing small 2ch IR models, some with belt transmission. At the end of the video he shows how he made it.
Micro Biplane with Homemade Belt Drive Propulsion Unit (4 min 57 sec)

and he started to cut his own mod .2 and mod .15 gears. I strongly suggest to explore his videos on youtube..
M0.2 Micro Pinion Cutting (homemade) (4 min 11 sec)
Last edited by fabersum; Jan 19, 2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 01:16 PM
Torino
Joined May 2007
324 Posts
Ruzam

yeah this setup is lighter than the original plastic fixed mount..

I've seen some UM Corsair with rotating retracts somewhere..

found them:

Mycroflyer's
DIY micro rotating retracts (0 min 21 sec)

and Gary's
Super Micro F4U Corsair retracts (0 min 13 sec)