Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
266 Posts
Discussion
Nitroplanes 120" J-3 Cub

http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a234b-j...00cc-blue.html

As my handle indicates, I gamble on R/C products

I recently purchased this plane from Nitroplanes for just $307 and that included shipping. It was one of their free shipping promos during Black Friday.

I am not going to tackle this plane anytime soon, but I thought I would share. Overall, I am impressed with the ARF and kinda shocked that the plane included a xeroxed copy of the World Models instructions indicating that it was a knock off of the World Models ARF of the same size.

Not bad and it will get built!

They are out of stock on this color, but still have the yellow in stock:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a234y-j3-100cc-yellow.html

Gambler
RCGambler is offline Find More Posts by RCGambler
Last edited by RCGambler; Dec 18, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
266 Posts
Here are a few more pics:

I won't build this until the next down time in flying which will be the Arizona Summer months if I am still here in Arizona at that time.

Gambler
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:17 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,533 Posts
Its looks kinda lite a Micro to me...something not right about the dymentions IMHO. Still, at such a dirt cheap price, put a Rim fire 50 in there on 10s and you have a very fun powerful plane for $800 RTF !
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
Its looks kinda lite a Micro to me...something not right about the dymentions IMHO. Still, at such a dirt cheap price, put a Rim fire 50 in there on 10s and you have a very fun powerful plane for $800 RTF !
I agree with your recommendations!

Side by side, real to model, its close enough and going electric I can add scale features to the cowling, landing gear and cockpit:

The Gear will have to be fixed; notice where the wing struts meet the fuse on the model and on the real cub. I will get some plans of the real cub come build time and see how off any other dims are ... but for $307, I can live with it

Gambler
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGambler View Post
I agree with your recommendations!

Side by side, real to model, its close enough and going electric I can add scale features to the cowling, landing gear and cockpit:

The Gear will have to be fixed; notice where the wing struts meet the fuse on the model and on the real cub. I will get some plans of the real cub come build time and see how off any other dims are ... but for $307, I can live with it

Gambler
Could you tell me what the CG is on this 120in Cub as I did not recieve the Instruction manual.
FOOPED is offline Find More Posts by FOOPED
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOOPED View Post
Could you tell me what the CG is on this 120in Cub as I did not recieve the Instruction manual.
Not surprised...

Here is the rest: See the attached zip file

Sorry too large, just to the Nitroplanes site and download the manual:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a234b-j...00cc-blue.html

Click the manual tab

Are you going to add an extra servo to the ailerons or do you think one will be enough?

Gambler
Last edited by RCGambler; Dec 22, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
I am going to check the aileron out and see if it is strong enough for only one servo. The last thing I want is flutter. I tried the manual tab and it do'es not work for me. Could you tell me what the CG is on the wing root. I have contacted Nitro Planes and they are going to try and send me a PDF with the Instructions,but so far I have not received anything from them. When I start the build I will stay in touch and/or I may even try a build thread. Thanks FOOPED
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOOPED View Post
I am going to check the aileron out and see if it is strong enough for only one servo. The last thing I want is flutter. I tried the manual tab and it do'es not work for me. Could you tell me what the CG is on the wing root. I have contacted Nitro Planes and they are going to try and send me a PDF with the Instructions,but so far I have not received anything from them. When I start the build I will stay in touch and/or I may even try a build thread. Thanks FOOPED
I added the c.g. page above.

Gambler
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
266 Posts
UPDATE

I found out that World Models and this plane share a common origin:

Fly-Model Inc. over in China is the manufacture.

Here is the sales crew:

Here are your 'Fly-Girls' busy at building you that low-cost 'for American consumption' ARF plane:

Nice ARFs, decent quality.

This is why the kit that I received had the World Models instructions in it

One thing to note, these Cubs through Nitroplanes don't have the cockpit hinged door as the World Models version does. Other than a few other small differences, they are cousins.

Gambler
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Hey Gambler thanks for the page as it sure makes my mind easer not knowing if Nitro Planes will send me the manual or not. I am not too sure about the wing mounting on the plane body. To me it looks a little weak. What are you going to power yours with? I plan on using the DLE 111 on mine.Like you it will be after the holidays and then I plan on getting started. Got to repair my 2.6 Extra first.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:33 PM
United States, IN, Aurora
Joined Apr 2006
123 Posts
Can someone please send me a zip file of the manual. I just bought one and it didn't come with it. I don't see it on that page.

Thank you ever so much,
John
Bringinitallback is offline Find More Posts by Bringinitallback
Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:47 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,160 Posts
To me, the landing gear looks a bit small....

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:50 AM
United States, IN, Aurora
Joined Apr 2006
123 Posts
Yup, the landing gear is the weak point. Everything else looks really good. Well... the cowling is small too... I mean, it's huge, but on the small side of huge

I'm going to buy the Busa 1/3rd scale float kit for it. I'm waiting on a few little parts, but I've already started building it up. It's cake.

I had a DLE111 sitting around with a prop on it... I had to find a home I'll probably downgrade to a 55cc at somepoint.

Savox 222oz servos all around.

It's going to be an ultra cool Sunday flyer!

I try to hang things on the walls of my house. With gear on, this thing might be too big to display. I bought it when it went on sale, and I happened to notice that after I bought my 1/3rd scale Sukhoi at nitroplanes, that it was marked "Out of Stock". Sukhoi is at my house on a wall... so it looks like I bought the last one....then I noticed that all of their bigger planes were going "Out of Stock"... so I bought this cub before it was gone.

I wonder if they've stopped stocking big planes all together? It's O.K. with me, my next plane will be built by a better company. Time to step up
Bringinitallback is offline Find More Posts by Bringinitallback
Old Feb 04, 2014, 05:59 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,753 Posts
This looks fun!

Keep us posted when you do the build
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2014, 08:41 PM
Joined Oct 2014