HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:23 PM
Joined Sep 2010
12 Posts
Question
Esc?

I have ESC that comes with some kind of metal thing with ridges. I think its suppose to go on the ESC. But im not sure how, can anyone help?
bluepicklepie is offline Find More Posts by bluepicklepie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:50 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepicklepie View Post
I have ESC that comes with some kind of metal thing with ridges. I think its suppose to go on the ESC. But im not sure how, can anyone help?
It's called a heat sink. It's purpose is to help cool the ESC so it doesn't get too warm. Easy enough to install.. some double sided tape or even some hot glue would do the trick.
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:58 PM
Joined Sep 2010
12 Posts
it come with some kind of grey thing that i think might go in between the two and somthing else that i think might be shrink wrap or somthing. am i right? and if i am how do i install it.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:12 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepicklepie View Post
it come with some kind of grey thing that i think might go in between the two and somthing else that i think might be shrink wrap or somthing. am i right? and if i am how do i install it.
The grey thing is likely double sided tape. peel off the wax paper and stick one side to the ESC and then gently but firmly press the heat sink against the sticky tape. the shrink wrap is just an added measure in case the tape ever comes loose somehow.

I threw in a couple of pictures with ESC's with heat sinks already installed to give you an idea how it should look. It's pretty basic. You'll figure it right out.
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,658 Posts
What esc are you talking about, my old Novak esc heatsink would simply slide over the existing short fins sticking out of the casing. Double sided tape to attach heatsink would not work to great as the tape would not be a good conductor of heat and would minimize heat transfer. Heat compound or paste works better.

Name and link to you're esc would help or pictures.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:20 PM
Joined Sep 2010
12 Posts
I cant seem to get the "tape" to peel of. If i were to use the shrink wrap would i need to take of the shrink wrap already on the esc, put the haet sink on, then put it on or can i just put it on without taking of the other one. Also, how do you put on shrink wrap.(I know, i'm a dummie) the esc is a GWS ICS 300. Thanks for all the help.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,658 Posts
Heat shrink is installed over the unit the using heat gun you heat up the covering and it will shrink to half or less from its original size.

Cut and remove the existing heatshrink and use the adhesive to secure the heatsink and then slip over the heatshrink and heat the cover until nice and tight.
I personaly would not use the adhesive but instead use heat paste.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:38 PM
Joined Sep 2010
12 Posts
is the adhesive the grey thing? and is it suppose to have layers that peel of because i can't get it to. And could I use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:46 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,658 Posts
I did have some ESC'c that had the heat sink simply sitting on some grey soft rubber pad of sort and that could be what you have, is it somewhat sticky on both side?

You can use hairdryer it will just take longer.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:49 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,569 Posts
*Some* hair dryers can shrink heatshrink but most usually can't. It depends on the heatshrink as well as the hair dryer. A lighter can also be used with EXTREME caution. Remember, that's a sensitive electronic device
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:56 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
DON'T use hot glue on heatsinks...

The best method is just to cut off the shrink tubing, place a heatsink over a flat size on the ESC, then place a larger piece of shrink tubing over them, then shrink. Cut open an oval shape hole over the heatsink.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 25, 2010, 01:25 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustyPagan View Post
It's called a heat sink. It's purpose is to help cool the ESC so it doesn't get too warm. Easy enough to install.. some double sided tape or even some hot glue would do the trick.
using double sided tape and/or hot glue to install a heatsink completly negates the purpose of the heatsink, by insulating it from the esc.... the heatsink needs to be in direct contact with the esc, with only thermal tape or past in between. the grey thing is likley thermal tape.
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Sep 25, 2010, 02:06 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
The "grey thing" is likely a aluminum plate to transfer the heat to the heatsink.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..