SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:36 AM
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Discussion
Having powerlab 8 fixed vs buying new? Can't decide

Can't make up my mind what to do here. I think I caused the failure in my charger by repeated shorts, and I think the one that caused it was a short that some how heated the 6s balance wires to cause them to melt and heat slowly. Not just a quick short that disintegrates the connector pin and stops.

Stupid, but this is what happens when I parallel balance charge over 2KW or over 15 6s packs in parallel all the time, lately 24 6s 5000 MAH packs.

Anyway, my charger still works and charge it at 40 amps often, but it doesn't balance cell 5 anymore.

Since I beat my charger for so long, should I pay the $100 to repair it from FMA or should I just buy a brand new charger?

If they only had a new powerlab 8 with a color LCD model I would gladly buy a new one.
Eddie500 is offline Find More Posts by Eddie500
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:27 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,701 Posts
That's a lot of batteries!

I'd recommend you seriously consider the Dual PowerLab 8x2 along with fused balance boards if you're not using them already.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Aug 26, 2014, 01:18 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,182 Posts
Here's how I look at it.

After the charger has been repaired and is working great again, would you be able to sell it for more than the cost of the repair? If the answer is yes, then you have some additional value in your hands that you can keep or recoup selling it.

Conversely, if you could buy a used or refurbished one for less than the cost of the repair, then it gets a bit harder. But also remember that after the repair, the charger will get checked over, and re-calibrated. So it will likely be in a lot better shape then a used one of similar age.

Finally, I have to go with Ohmic on this one. Fused boards with a DPL would suit your scenario better than single PL8. If that is over your budget, at least move to the fused boards.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99