SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:47 AM
Houston, TX.
Joined Jan 2001
96 Posts
Discussion
Been noticing a decreased life span with epoxy. How you can save it.....

I had gotten out of the hobby and haven't built a plane for a few years now. No kidding guys, but I've had those 5 minute, 15 minute, and 30 minute plastic squeeze bottles of epoxy resin and hardener that I bought at the local hobby shop last me 8 to 10 years. I use the 5 or 6 minute stuff the most for general repairs around the house, and about 2 years ago I finally ran out and placed an order with Tower Hobbies just to order their 5 minute Epoxy. Well, the 30 minute glue I bought years ago at the local Hobby Shop is still liquid and working fine. It has outlasted the store which has been out of business for 5 years now! But I was dismayed to see the Tower Hobbies Epoxy had hardened and resembles a bottle of dried up rubber cement. (the resin bottle, not the hardner) This makes me wonder if the manufacturer is putting something in the formula to make it age faster and be useless after just 2 years. If you think about, I'm sure the manufacturers would prefer the stuff NOT last forever......or 8-10 years.

Well, if you are experiencing the same problem as I described here, the solution is to stir some Acetone into it. It's kind of messy and will take a few minutes, as the glue oozes out of the bottle and runs onto your fingers (so wear latex gloves), but it rejuvinates it and saves it..This made it runny and liquid again, and when I checked the performance, I found that it held two wood pieces together just as strong as it ever did.
Randall Miller is offline Find More Posts by Randall Miller
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:29 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Randy,thank you for the information.Ya with todays world of "MAKE IT FASTER/CHEAPER " You kinda have to wonder where the QUALITY of the product has gone!
stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:01 PM
CRRC member
United States, MA, Newton
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
I've had a similar problem, where the components seem to get crystalline, almost like old honey. Someone shared their solution with me, which actually seems to work with both honey and epoxy, believe it or not! Put the closed bottle in a bowl of near boiling water (off the stove of course!), and let it sit for 10 mins or so. Seems to de-crystallize it and restore a runny consistency, even once it's cooled down again.
patricksurry is offline Find More Posts by patricksurry
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:10 PM
Love To Fly Anything!!
United States, NY, Conklin
Joined Mar 2011
92 Posts
Wow I wish i knew this, I just threw a way two bottles that bought but never opened oh well live and learn
tomupstateny is offline Find More Posts by tomupstateny
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:57 AM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricksurry View Post
Put the closed bottle in a bowl of near boiling water (off the stove of course!), and let it sit for 10 mins or so. Seems to de-crystallize it and restore a runny consistency, even once it's cooled down again.
put it in the microwave for a few seconds. The two components take different times.

Hans
hul is offline Find More Posts by hul
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:40 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,223 Posts
Be careful with the Microwave method as some of the vapors may prove harmful to those around the house.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:52 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
680 Posts
Randall Zylene is used to thin epoxy after its mixed and althow I haven't tryed it other wise I don't know why it wouldn't work. I just used some 6yr. old 5 min. epoxy today and it was ok but I know what your talking about.

CA glue will do the same thing over time but if you keep it refrigerated when not being used for long periods of time it will stay fresh. tricks of the trade I guess.

Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner