HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:30 PM
Central Florida
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Aug 2008
264 Posts
Discussion
problem bonding plastic

Tried the search but came up empty. I usually don't have a problem with ca bonding plastic and wood but....... I tried to glue a wood deck rail to plastruct scale diamond plate. The only things different are (1) it does have a very slight raise in the diamond plate (2) I used a very light coat hardly wet the rag with debonder to dull the surface and dried right away. Thought I would get ideas before trying other means to accomplish it. It does glue but a little bump will pop it off.
r/cjunkie is offline Find More Posts by r/cjunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:12 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,287 Posts
Washing the plastic to remove any oils from forming would be the first thing to do.
Dawn dishwashing soap is usually enough.

If possible shave the raised areas where the rail will contact down.
Second, lightly sand the area to be cemented.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
USA, NJ, Toms River
Joined Sep 2010
35 Posts
Plastistruct is the other plastic. Try dusting the joint with baking soda then add the CA. Do not suck any of the baking soda back into the ca bottle or you will find out why you don't leave the ca open next to the kicker. As above scrape off the shine.
Also try Stabilit adhesive
Muddyduck is offline Find More Posts by Muddyduck
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:49 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,933 Posts
There are many types of CA, thin and runny for joining flat faces, thick, with gap filling properties for uneven surfaces, rubbery for shock resistance etc. It is important to pick the right one for the job, as none of them can be universally perfect for every application.
There are also alternatives, such as epoxy and good old fashioned contact adhesive.
As said above, preparation is the key whichever is used - all adhesives perform best when given the biggest possible contact surface area for the join.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:23 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
I always look in on a thread that offers ideas on adhesives, as it is the best way to get a well-rounded education on what to use and how. Thanks all---.
der kapitan is online now Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:55 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
a thin coat of sealant on the wood will prevent too much CA from disappearing into its pores.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56