HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:51 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2008
621 Posts
Discussion
PowerLab 6 Questions

Hi there,

I'm interested in purchasing a PowerLab 6 from one of your vendors at epbuddy.com. Just had a couple questions regarding the charger.

1. What is the max wattage the charger will do on a 100Ah 12v large deep cycle PB battery (in my plane trailer)? I'm wondering if its limited to 408w only, as this is technically a 12-13v battery?

2. Does this charger have viewable LiPo cell Internal Resistance built into its menu's or just in the PC software?

3. Is the Free ParaBoard that's included in the PowerLab 6 from epbuddy.com your own certified ParaBoard or one of their cheap boards? If it is a knock-off, is it still safe, accurate and approved for parallel charging use on your PL 6?

4. Could someone explain how the parallel charging boards work? It's unclear to me how each cell of a 4s pack for example can all be balanced in line with each other cell when the charger can only see a total of 4 cells to balance? Is it simply a power "bleed" from high volt cell 1 of a pack to another cell's cell 1 with a lower voltage???

Thanks very much!
Travis
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:30 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,739 Posts
1: Depending on voltage sag say 10.5 X 40 =420 watts in and perhaps 378 out but see http://www.revolectrix.com/PL6_calculators_Main.htm and run some numbers.

According to calc. if Pb can maintain 11V under 60A (not likely) then up to 372 watts into a 6S.

2: Yes IRs,volts amps. and much more on the charger's LCD display.

3: A knock off but of good quality based on the ones I have. Note it is for use with JST-XH balancing node connections thus PL6 would need to be in that mode.

4: Volts are pressure thus any cells in parallel tend to equalize given enough time. At high charge rates they may not all be exactly the same but close enough to be safe.

I feel that is a good idea to charge new LiPolys one at a time until they are proven and then from time to time just to track their condition.

A very good thread on parallel charging and balancing.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=parallel

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2008
621 Posts
Thanks so much Charles! Very clear and concise answers which is what I was hoping for.

One last question I forgot to ask, do you know specifically which ParaBoard it comes with and is it a 4 pack lipo board, or 6 pack lipo board? All my packs are JSX-XH and Deans, so I'll be good in that respect.

Thanks again!
Travis
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:01 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,739 Posts
You would need to contact the vendor for that answer. If it were me I would request the

Safe 40A ParaBoard V3 - XH with T Plugs

even if I had to pay the $8 difference.

All of the para boards shown here

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer