HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Today, 12:38 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Truglodite's Avatar
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,519 Posts
I have fancy controllable leds on my 450 (apm), bUT my 'formation rig' has just a solid bright white panel. The folks I fly with find it easier to spot and track the solid white, versus the assortment of flashing patterns on my 450. The 450 also kicks out 10x the lumens... just that flashing leds don't show up well on the average fpv setup. The solid white shows up like a bright pixel from a distance... easier to track through trees etc.

That said, I might be able to help coding a light controller if we go that road.. more options means more fun.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:45 PM
Registered User
IH8VTEC's Avatar
WLV, CA
Joined Aug 2005
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_703 View Post
Yep. With GPS, you lose aux3&4... I didn't catch that in your post.

Noet that the channels shift to accommodate the GPS Rx&Tx... So AETR1234 becomes AETxRxTR12... Or AETxRxTR34 I suppose...
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I forgot the GPS took up those channels. Thanks for all your help in this thread. I've learned a lot watching you help other too.
IH8VTEC is online now Find More Posts by IH8VTEC
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:48 PM
Registered User
Belgium, Flemish Region, Geel
Joined Jun 2013
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_703 View Post
Name an off the shelf TX that's going to have a 5-pos switch... Sure any TX can be converted, but seems like a lot of work. Why not just say get a PPM Rx and regain all 8 channels. Better yet, use SBUS - and reserve 9-16 on the Rx for PWM relay switches.
First of all, you can combine two and three way switches in to a single channel. At least on a taranis, but probably most higher end radio's. You dont need a 5 or 6 position switch to make use of this feature.

As an example, I could have 3 flight modes (acro/horizon/angle) on a three way switch, and altitude hold on a 2 way switch, and using the new cleanflight firmware, I could set it up so it would use only 1 aux channel (if Im willing sacrifice altitude hold for instance on the acro flight mode where it doesnt make sense anyway).

As for getting a PPM receiver, I have one obviously, but remember this started in response to someone who did not, and who ran out of aux channels after hooking up a GPS. You then tried twisting my argument as if I was suggesting he go and buy a 12 channel receiver, when in fact I gave a software solution that would allow him to do what he needed with his existing receiver and just 2 aux channels. All thats needed is cleanflight. Really, how is that not a good or useful thing?

As for sbus; afaik it needs an inverter, and why should I buy a new sbus capable receiver when I can now get a fairly insane amount of switching done on a cheap D4R ? Besides, on baseflight you would still be limited to just 4 aux channels. So how this supports your point that cleanflight with its expanded aux support offers nothing useful, I dont quite get.

Quote:
Yeah... I'm set on my Taranis. Still have a free positions even with GPS RTH/PH and restricted to 4 aux channels. No doubt increased flexibility is good.
add altitude hold, buzzer, arming, osd, autotune, and you will run out. And thats on a miniquad, on a bigger quad with gimbal its going to be even more restrictive. Besides, there I see no reason to restrict us to 3 switches per channel, other flight controllers have supported 6 per channel for ages, and its not a problem, its a good thing. Less channels is also lower latency.

But if you dont need it, dont use it.
Vertigo72 is online now Find More Posts by Vertigo72
Last edited by Vertigo72; Today at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:44 PM
Registered User
United States, VA
Joined Sep 2013
2,827 Posts
OK... Last post on this... Not really conducive to helping anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo72 View Post
First of all, you can combine two and three way switches in to a single channel. At least on a taranis, but probably most higher end radio's. You dont need a 5 or 6 position switch to make use of this feature.
Yes. Common knowledge and undermines your argument.

Quote:
You then tried twisting my argument as if I was suggesting he go and buy a 12 channel receiver, when in fact I gave a software solution that would allow him to do what he needed with his existing receiver and just 2 aux channels. All thats needed is cleanflight. Really, how is that not a good or useful thing?
Your software solution IMPLIES that a TX/RX system capable of 16 channels is REQUIRED. How is THAT helpful to the specific situation?

Quote:
Besides, on baseflight you would still be limited to just 4 aux channels. So how this supports your point that cleanflight with its expanded aux support offers nothing useful, I dont quite get.
I never said it offers nothing... Just nothing relevant to me right now. True maybe some great feature will come along which I can't live without. Maybe I want to build a quad with controllable tilting motors... Oh wait the built in aux channels restricted to FC features still won't help me.

The Taranis kit is optionally bundled with a X8R that supports SBUS. I believe it has modes where channels 1-8 are sent via SBUS and 9-16 on local pwm. Seems more relevant, powerful and usuable from a legacy hardware perspective... a relay to trigger a louder lost quad buzzer for example.

Quote:
add altitude hold, buzzer, arming, osd, autotune, and you will run out.
Outside of autotune and with GPS, I didn't run out of switch permutations with the 4 aux limit. Sure, I could have been not thought it thhrough and swt a switch for each option. I guess thats just not me. Not sure I'd want to accidently switch into autotune... Probably squirrel that off into a model of its own which could safely, knowingly be activated to use autotune. Disarm with a switch... I prefer the built in failsafe of having to be at minthr before disabling.



Please feel free to PM if you'd like to continue splitting hairs... To each their own.
KC_703 is online now Find More Posts by KC_703
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:46 PM
Registered User
United States, VA
Joined Sep 2013
2,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I forgot the GPS took up those channels. Thanks for all your help in this thread. I've learned a lot watching you help other too.
You're welcome. Its nice to be able to give back to the community.
KC_703 is online now Find More Posts by KC_703
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:43 PM
Registered User
tavfox's Avatar
USA, CA, Cupertino
Joined Apr 2009
85 Posts
SO I've been digging through posts, searches and I can't find a resolution to the issue I'm having. Currently, the naze32 is tuned great for aerobatic flight, but when I enable auto-level (or angle mode), the naze32 flips 180 and crashes. I can't seem to find the resolution to this through tuning easily, nor can I find documentation on what's going on. Anyone experience anything like this or got any tips to fix the issue?
tavfox is online now Find More Posts by tavfox
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:53 PM
Registered User
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Dec 2011
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavfox View Post
SO I've been digging through posts, searches and I can't find a resolution to the issue I'm having. Currently, the naze32 is tuned great for aerobatic flight, but when I enable auto-level (or angle mode), the naze32 flips 180 and crashes. I can't seem to find the resolution to this through tuning easily, nor can I find documentation on what's going on. Anyone experience anything like this or got any tips to fix the issue?
calibration or have board align set wrongly ?
CoolD is online now Find More Posts by CoolD
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:23 PM
Registered User
Belgium, Flemish Region, Geel
Joined Jun 2013
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_703 View Post
OK... Last post on this... Not really conducive to helping anyone.
Maybe not, and you are generally a very helpful person, so I dont want to take this argument over the top either, its just this statement I take issue with:

"This is a typical "feature" of Cleanflight.... no improvement or relevance to flight... "
When in fact, the sole reason I mentioned cleanflight's new 5 switch aux feature was to help a poster who was precisely in the situation where with baseflight he would have to buy a new receiver, while using cleanflight, there was most likely no need. Why that warranted your criticism and irony versus cleanflight, I dont know.

Quote:
Your software solution IMPLIES that a TX/RX system capable of 16 channels is REQUIRED. How is THAT helpful to the specific situation?
Common, you are a better reader than that. I said "5 positions per aux channel." and put between brackets, because not relevant at the time, that it supported up to 12 aux channels. That doesnt imply you need a 16 channel system and you know it.
Vertigo72 is online now Find More Posts by Vertigo72
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:42 PM
Registered User
United States, VA
Joined Sep 2013
2,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavfox View Post
SO I've been digging through posts, searches and I can't find a resolution to the issue I'm having. Currently, the naze32 is tuned great for aerobatic flight, but when I enable auto-level (or angle mode), the naze32 flips 180 and crashes. I can't seem to find the resolution to this through tuning easily, nor can I find documentation on what's going on. Anyone experience anything like this or got any tips to fix the issue?
This has been reported at least once in this thread, but I don't think a resolution was posted.

Are you running recent firmware? Early August seems to be the latest build of the hex. Check revision with the version command in the CLI. If you decide to reflash, note down all your PIDs.

Try recalbrating the ACC... and mag while you're at it.
KC_703 is online now Find More Posts by KC_703
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:55 PM
Registered User
tavfox's Avatar
USA, CA, Cupertino
Joined Apr 2009
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_703 View Post
This has been reported at least once in this thread, but I don't think a resolution was posted.

Are you running recent firmware? Early August seems to be the latest build of the hex. Check revision with the version command in the CLI. If you decide to reflash, note down all your PIDs.

Try recalbrating the ACC... and mag while you're at it.
I'm running what the board came with. I'll do an update later with the new firmware I suppose, given that there seems to be no fix. I figured I had something wonky going on. I got the board about 3 weeks ago. Definitely will screen shot all the information down. I've tried recalibrating everything several times, and will do after flashing and re-tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolD View Post
calibration or have board align set wrongly ?
Been Calibrated several times, board is pointing the right way and is right-side up.
tavfox is online now Find More Posts by tavfox
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale AfroFlight Flight Controller (Naze32) Box/Container/holder Made from Delrin Greasetattoo Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 8 Feb 14, 2014 12:03 PM
Help! beginner's guide to Rhino for dummy's ????? grover CAD/CAM 4 Oct 16, 2011 05:56 AM
Help! Guide for sailplane setup & triming Ken Smith Sailplane Talk 4 Sep 13, 2011 02:12 PM
Help! Walkera 4#3 easy setup guid ? dendirk Micro Helis 3 Mar 15, 2008 11:45 AM
Discussion Tips for Red Necks (Like myself.) Don Sims Humor 0 Feb 11, 2002 10:53 PM