HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:46 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
705 Posts
Question
Servo centering differences

Hopefully, my question won't make you yawn.

I use two radios. One is less capable and I use that on my smaller planes and the more capable radio is used on my larger planes. I've decided to program all my planes on both radios, with my less capable radio as my backup with a plane or two in permanent "residence" on it. I also use the less capable radio as a buddy-box on occasion.

I found a large difference is servo centering on one of my planes. When I programmed the "new" radio, I found myself using almost all the sub-trim travel to correct the center while using very little on the original radio. I don't like that, but may not have a practical alternative (no, I'm not changing the linkage or repositioning the servo arm).

I'm just curious. Is this a fairly common occurrence; radios with significant differences in servo center using the same receiver?

Dave
Highride is online now Find More Posts by Highride
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,306 Posts
It depends what radios you are talking about. I have measured the timing on a number of JR and Spektrum radios and found them very accurately calibrated. On the other hand I have measured a HobbyKing 4 channel transmitter and found fairly large inconsistencies (it only costs $23, and it works quite well, so I'm not complaining).

What specific transmitters are you using.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:12 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,397 Posts
Futaba and JR/Spektrum use slightly different pulse length for servo center. Hitec is very close to Futaba.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:57 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
705 Posts
Thanks guys. Looks like something I'll just have to tolerate on that plane.

Both radios are Hitec. The older is an Optic 6 I coverted to 2.4 and the new radio is my Aurora 9. Think I'll just leave the plane I have issues with on the Optic 6 where it's "happy" and I won't be adjusting the linkage. I might be tempted to tinker with it again, clear the memory for that plane and re-program.

Dave
Highride is online now Find More Posts by Highride