HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Berkie, sorry to hear about your slow support response! I want to understand what happened here - could you share your ticket #, either by posting here or through email? We should have a 1-3 day max turnaround on tickets, depending on the nature of the ticket (some need to go through engineering) and present workload. Our goal is certainly to get that response time lower.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:16 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Guardian Maiden Habu 2 EDF

This is the third successful maiden of a bird for me with a Guardian unit installed. Being older than dirt, I usually try and have the maiden flights accomplished by someone else before I attempt flight with or without a Guardian installed (depends upon speed, complexity, anticipated winds, etc.)

I did not want to change out the RCVR (six channel) so only had one spare channel and used it for 2D/OFF/3D with default gain setting as shown in manual. Verified correct operation, did level/trim set. I followed prof100's installation photos (thanks for sharing) and it worked perfectly.

Set 3D mode and the bird tracked perfectly (heading hold engaged) on a very rough grass strip. I experimented with 2D and OFF a couple of mistakes high. Practiced approaches knowing that the Guardian would handle the control surfaces leaving me with throttle, pretty much.

The only surprise was how quickly the bird jumped off the runway (holding full up because of rough grass strip), but relaxing the elevator resulted in a smooth climb out.

As with other posters, I've flown in quite strong winds (15-20 mph, with gusts) and just don't worry about it. It is fun to do a low pass down the runway and watch the Guardian manipulating the control surfaces to keep the bird level.

I now own six units and have gotten in the habit of installing one in a new bird if it has any degree of complexity or if I am unsure of finding another pilot for the maiden flight.

Michael
Snowflake6515 is online now Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:32 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Michael good to hear about your success with the guardian units

I currently have 3 units, 1 in a PZ T-28 that has been turned into a night flyer, and light fun jet, 3rd will be installed in a heavy fast FunJet

The last one will be set up as the others, but with less gain due to the higher speed envelope, this will be a very interesting maiden

For the price the guardian is cheap insurance

Have Fun

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
I just finished installing my 3rd Guardian in a 2 year old Sig Kadet LT-25 taildragger that I stopped flying due to its squirrelly takeoff behavior. My 1st is in my testbed PZ T-28, which if it wasn't my most enjoyable A/C before, post Guardian it is just an absolute joy to fly in many conditions I wouldn't have thought possible before. A 2nd one was just installed in an Advance 25e which I have had to abort the last few times out to the field due to high winds. Didn't want to try the Advance without first testing it in more normal conditions, but had no hesitation in flying the T-28 these days when most guys more experienced & better than I were not flying.

Also just ordered 5 of the 5" USB connection cables from New Egg to put in my planes so I don't have to remove the units to change their settings. Finally, I have 2 more Guardian units on back order & await their arrival to put in a couple more of the planes I don't fly as often as I would like. These things are really very addictive!

Jed
jedorme is offline Find More Posts by jedorme
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
The only surprise was how quickly the bird jumped off the runway (holding full up because of rough grass strip), but relaxing the elevator resulted in a smooth climb out.
Next time try this; Point the plane straight down the runway, wings level, at the climb angle you want. Then set 3D mode. Wiggle it around to confirm the surfaces are moving properly. Put the plane down and hit the throttle without touching anything else. Guardian will track it down the runway, rotate, and fly the climb path and angle where you pointed it. When you get to pattern altitude, take over simply by flying it. As soon as you move the aileron or elevator you are back in charge. It's fun and amazing to watch a takeoff or hand-launch flown completely hands-off.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
This is the third successful maiden of a bird for me with a Guardian unit installed. Being older than dirt, I usually try and have the maiden flights accomplished by someone else before I attempt flight with or without a Guardian installed (depends upon speed, complexity, anticipated winds, etc.)

I did not want to change out the RCVR (six channel) so only had one spare channel and used it for 2D/OFF/3D with default gain setting as shown in manual. Verified correct operation, did level/trim set. I followed prof100's installation photos (thanks for sharing) and it worked perfectly.

Set 3D mode and the bird tracked perfectly (heading hold engaged) on a very rough grass strip. I experimented with 2D and OFF a couple of mistakes high. Practiced approaches knowing that the Guardian would handle the control surfaces leaving me with throttle, pretty much.

As with other posters, I've flown in quite strong winds (15-20 mph, with gusts) and just don't worry about it. It is fun to do a low pass down the runway and watch the Guardian manipulating the control surfaces to keep the bird level.

I now own six units and have gotten in the habit of installing one in a new bird if it has any degree of complexity or if I am unsure of finding another pilot for the maiden flight.

Michael
Michael,

I find your experience a delight to read. The Guardian sure does what it promises.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:23 AM
Gravitationally challenged
Joined Aug 2012
182 Posts
A very blustery day in Melbourne today. What a pleasure to fly in 2d and 3d today with this etg. Even the President was impressed. Reckon I sold at least 4 more. Cheers
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:06 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Berkie, sorry to hear about your slow support response! I want to understand what happened here - could you share your ticket #, either by posting here or through email? We should have a 1-3 day max turnaround on tickets, depending on the nature of the ticket (some need to go through engineering) and present workload. Our goal is certainly to get that response time lower.
Thanks Billpa. I have received a reply now

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:14 AM
Mooresville, NC
Joined Dec 2004
266 Posts
Test flew my first Guardian 2d/3d yesterday.....

It seems to be working well and may need a few more tweaks to get it even better...

However I noticed later on last night that I mounted it backwards (the front of the airplane on the case is towards the rear of my plane!

Would this make any difference how the plane flies....do I need to reverse it??

Update: According to Eagle Tree they said that it would still work as long as all the control surfaces are checked and working properly when the airplane is moved around. That is what I did before flight.....made sure that when the model was moved by myself the control surfaces had a negative feedback to correct the movement.

Thank you,

Michael
MichaelT1960 is offline Find More Posts by MichaelT1960
Last edited by MichaelT1960; Oct 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
Canada, NB, Drummond
Joined Mar 2010
45 Posts
Good catch!

You will have to turn it around or it will not work properly.

Cheaper to do it now.
al_voisine is offline Find More Posts by al_voisine
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:00 PM
Mooresville, NC
Joined Dec 2004
266 Posts
Will not work properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_voisine View Post
Good catch!

You will have to turn it around or it will not work properly.

Cheaper to do it now.
But it did work! What would the difference be?

Michael
MichaelT1960 is offline Find More Posts by MichaelT1960
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
GOTTA FLY STRIGHT UP
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Hi guys

I just got my 2d3d, 3 days ago. I have seen that this unit can be changed from plane to plane.

From eagle tree [Our PC software also allows you to save and restore model profiles, making it easy to move the Guardian from plane to plane without reconfiguration!]

So I built this snug fitting holder for each plane to make it fit level. It will not slip out.
The holder will be screwed/ or glued in.

what problems do you all think I will encounter, moving it from plane to plane??

Bill N
WILLIAM M is offline Find More Posts by WILLIAM M
Last edited by WILLIAM M; Oct 27, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,047 Posts
How snug is snug?....If it's too tight I think constant wear and tear of it being stuck in there and taken out again plus getting kicked around moving from plane to plane will take it's toll eventually.
Tatonka is online now Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,885 Posts
Nice looking mount. I think you will still need to use the servo mounting double sticky sided foam between the plane & your mount to isolate vibrations.
We used to move receivers from plane to plane; but now that seems a hassle with the cheaper electronics.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:04 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Yeah highly recommend that you use double sided tape to reduce vibration

The housing may actually amplify vibration

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747