HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:58 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,495 Posts
Well, not real pleased at the moment. Had I know that you MUST own or go buy a mini card reader, I would have never bought this camera. Seeing how I just received my #16 the 039 FW, I am out of luck. Particularly as I did not clearly understand that the FW file needed to be deleted from a separate device.

Until the FW is fixed so you do not NEED a mini card reader to update FW, this camera should be a big NO buy item.

At this point, I likely will not invest the $30 for a mini card reader, likely this cam will go into the trash.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:11 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Well, not real pleased at the moment. Had I know that you MUST own or go buy a mini card reader, I would have never bought this camera. Seeing how I just received my #16 the 039 FW, I am out of luck. Particularly as I did not clearly understand that the FW file needed to be deleted from a separate device.

Until the FW is fixed so you do not NEED a mini card reader to update FW, this camera should be a big NO buy item.

At this point, I likely will not invest the $30 for a mini card reader, likely this cam will go into the trash.
You can delete the firmware using the backdoor method, see instructions. It is done totally in the camera.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:20 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas1er View Post
Lens B have vignetting , but what with video quality. Are Lens B have better video quality than Lens A?
No. Video sharpness, color rendition, and contrast of the two lenses are very similar. The only difference is the B lens has slighty wider FOV (about 7-8 deg.) but also with more noticeable vignetting. I prefer lens A over lens B.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
I just reset the time display on my 4 #16s, and videod my WWV clock, with these results.. the older V1 cameras run slow... 2 to 4 minutes.. the V2 camera is closer to real time.
More definitive info, please. First, did you set both cameras time using the GUI, which should set them both relative to you PC clock. How about some screen shots showing the time stamps while also showing your PC time, not a separate clock, so we can see the point of reference from which the GUI got it's set point for the cameras?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:28 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
You can delete the firmware using the backdoor method, see instructions. It is done totally in the camera.
Already tried that I am afraid. Unit is bricked. Complete garbage FW microcode. Should be no need what so ever to backdoor a delete action. Completely frustrated at this point. Win 7 will not even recognise the device. It did recognise it prior to the FW flash attemp.

Such is life. If I can't get this resolve by this time tomorrow, off to the dust bin with it. Not going to invest any more time or money into it. I am pretty much screwed on this one. Sometimes it is that way.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,495 Posts
whoops ... double post
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:

To add to what victapilot said, you can also install a new boot loader that does exactly what you want (FW cannot do this). Read post #4 for details and download link for the boot loader and latest firmware.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 30, 2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: corrected post number for the links
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Already tried that I am afraid. Unit is bricked. Complete garbage FW microcode. Should be no need what so ever to backdoor a delete action. Completely frustrated at this point. Win 7 will not even recognise the device. It did recognise it prior to the FW flash attemp.

Such is life. If I can't get this resolve by this time tomorrow, off to the dust bin with it. Not going to invest any more time or money into it. I am pretty much screwed on this one. Sometimes it is that way.
You give up too easily and should read the first few posts more closely. First, you should be able to re-install the firmware. You probably did not follow the procedure exactly if you tried to install the FW manually. Better yet, use the GUI program to install the FW... it does all the work and does it correctly with the click of the mouse button.

If you still think your camera is hosed and you don't want to invest any more time learning about it, send it to me... I can always use a spare.

p.s. You might also have a memory card issue or battery power issue. The FW is solid.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:02 PM
I = V/R
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Quote:

I'll take it before you trash it. Let me know if you choose to sell. Sorry about off-topic.
Tw34k is offline Find More Posts by Tw34k
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:12 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
You give up too easily and should read the first few posts more closely. First, you should be able to re-install the firmware. You probably did not follow the procedure exactly if you tried to install the FW manually. Better yet, use the GUI program to install the FW... it does all the work and does it correctly with the click of the mouse button.

If you still think your camera is hosed and you don't want to invest any more time learning about it, send it to me... I can always use a spare.

p.s. You might also have a memory card issue or battery power issue. The FW is solid.
Well, I did use the GUI, followed it to the T. Downloaded all files and read all of the first 4 posts, several times.

Not so sure I would call the FW solid, especially when the instructions/help file indicate that the led MAY flash or something will PROBABLY happen. That is not solid FW.

Not trying to be argumentive, I know you love this product, but it ain't ready for prime time. Not decide what I will do with it yet, but the bottom line is this, I have 3 hours into this and it still does not work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:15 AM
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Are you kidding? $30? You give up so easilly did you? Or you are lazy to try even little?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICRO-SD-SDH...item33665cece5
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-SIM-Micr...&forceRpt=true
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-USB2-0-...item564e252418
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Tran...item3cc61846bf
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yellow-porta...item564e252402

There are tons of readers of this price. And it is relly clever man to not invest $30 as you said (max $5 in reallity) and throw $40 into trash. Super investment. Unbelievable
Azuritko is offline Find More Posts by Azuritko
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:00 AM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas1er View Post
Lens B have vignetting , but what with video quality. Are Lens B have better video quality than Lens A?
I consider lens A good only if you want just a little more area of recording because of better AOV. Maybe B is a little better than A in low light conditions, but even with this I still prefer the A lens. And don't forget that red external color because of IR filter.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:42 AM
This thing runs real nice...
Joined Jun 2012
272 Posts
Got stuck in a tree today (Parkzone SE5a). Thought you all might like to finish the day with some light entertainment.

Parkzone SE5a tree crash (3 min 10 sec)
Nam Lemmi is offline Find More Posts by Nam Lemmi
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:08 AM
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Mar 2012
65 Posts
Quote:

I have 808#16 for almost a year. No problem so far. I have updated firmware all along except the very latest (motion etc). I don't have a card reader & follow these instructions...after No 1. Downloading the new Firmware . No 2. Copying the File to the camera...

"In-camera "backdoor" method:
Make sure the camera is turned off.
Remove the card from the camera.
Turn on the camera and wait for the yellow LED to blink, indicating it needs a flash card.
Insert the card back into the camera. DO NOT PUSH ANY BUTTONS.
Connect the camera to the PC using a standard USB cable.
When the camera connects as a removable disk, delete the firmware file (FWMICDVR.BIN) from the disk.
Unplug the camera from the USB cable. It is now ready for use. YOU ARE DONE!"
clarebanner is offline Find More Posts by clarebanner
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:

This is what Tom Frank does not like to Hear, that may sound like a Negetive feedback. And answered to read Post 1-5, with some advice to help out clear the issue? that is why there are no warnings of be advised of actions taken when loading fw, I think there is in ways though of some warnings ?

.I do not Blame Tom Frank I do not blame you. I blame all for not reading Post 1-5, especially the FAQ, not updated.

Take your time and follow what Tom is telling ya, if you cannot get the camera to work, send the camera to Tom, or Isoprop, maybe they wil gladely correct it?

Hope you get the Camera up and running before your dead line, never rush a job, will lead to failure.

Peace

FISHYCOMICS
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)