SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:23 AM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
Marblehead Help Needed.- Whirlwind Olympic Winch

First let me declare I am brand new a RC in general and yachts in particular. So be gentle with me.
I have just acquired a very tired Marblehead Registration UK/GB K3694
Its a winter project to restore.. My first problem is the sail winch. It is a Whirlwind Olympic 7.2 V with a white pulley circa 1". The winch has the normal 3 leads from RX for power and signal but also has additional 2 lead for own power supply. The winch is not functioning properly in that on the RX only leads the winch pinch just judders.

With its own power and the RX lead connected to winch the winch rotates continuously anti clockwise. As soon as I try to reverse the rotation with the TX the winch just judders and will not then even rotate anti clockwise. The winch also has a small adjustment screw at the base which doesnt appear to do anything.

So questions;
Can which be recoverd?

If yes any tips?

Does anybody in Uk have one to sell?

If no, can anyone identify a suitable plug and play replacement thet is strong enough to manage a 7foot sail rig?

The replacement needs to be a "pulley system" rather than a lever because or room etc.

Finally does anybody have any knowledge of the yacht K3694.

All help appreciated.
Regards to all
eurosystem0 is offline Find More Posts by eurosystem0
Last edited by eurosystem0; Aug 16, 2011 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Improvement
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:26 AM
Joined May 2011
583 Posts
I was able to find this:

I would begin with ruling out the signal - try another channel on the system, or even better, a stand-alone servo driver if possible. I know very little about sailwinches but this is where I'd start troubleshooting. (after establishing good voltage and clean contacts of course)

Best of luck,

- Mike
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Last edited by northernmike; Aug 16, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:18 AM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
492 Posts
The winch is designed to be connected directly to the battery on the two wire lead using 7.2v, so a 6 cell Nimh or Nicad, or a 2S lipo would be good.

The winch has a built-in voltage regulator (a kind of BEC) that reduces the voltage to (say) 5v for the three wire lead to the RX and rudder servo so that they are not burned out by the higher battery voltage.

The the three wire plug connects to the RX and that provides power to the RX and rudder servo, and the control signal for winch positioning flows back through the third wire.

If the winch runs only in 1 direction and will not reverse, then try it on another channel of the Rx to eliminate the radio gear.

On reverse is the winch motor spinning or silent? If silent, then an electrical issue.

The feedback pot in the winch may be shorted or the contacts badly corroded. There may be a mechanical problem such as a stripped gear preventing the reverse direction.

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:25 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
671 Posts
Whirlwind winches are no longer available. You might consider replacing it with an RMG winch. https://www.rmgsailwinch.com.au/

I had a Olympic Whirlwind winch like yours in an EC12. Once it failed, that was it. There's no repair possible.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:55 AM
Joined Jul 2011
492 Posts
It looks like you are in the UK. You should register on the MYA forum and should be able to find some local help.

http://www.mya-uk-forum.org.uk/news.php

John
Old Aug 16, 2011, 05:29 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Apr 2010
219 Posts
HiTec has a pulley winch that should work, I use one on my marblehead.
Brad-
nikram58 is offline Find More Posts by nikram58
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:54 AM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Hi,
What is the part number/model of the Hitech winch. Does it cope with a 7ft rig in terms of coping with sail presures etc.
regards
eurosystem0 is offline Find More Posts by eurosystem0
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:45 AM
Joined Jul 2011
492 Posts
The Hitec 785 is the drum winch. It has the power but at 1 sec per revolution, will take almost 4 seconds to go from full out to full in.

I see that you are getting lots of good advice on the UK forum. The easiest/cheapest way to get the boat running would be to buy the used Whirlwind (if the price is good).

Then get hooked up with a local club or sailor for some one-on-one advice on setting up the winch lines and rigging the boat.

As the boat is quite old, you should limit what you spend to get it running, as it will likely not be competitive against the latest designs. Save your money for a new boat later on, once you are hooked. But, if you buy an RMG (the best winch), you can always transplant it later to a new project.

John
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:55 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurosystem0 View Post
First let me declare I am brand new a RC in general and yachts in particular. So be gentle with me.
I have just acquired a very tired Marblehead Registration UK/GB K3694
Its a winter project to restore.. My first problem is the sail winch. It is a Whirlwind Olympic 7.2 V with a white pulley circa 1". The winch has the normal 3 leads from RX for power and signal but also has additional 2 lead for own power supply. The winch is not functioning properly in that on the RX only leads the winch pinch just judders.

With its own power and the RX lead connected to winch the winch rotates continuously anti clockwise. As soon as I try to reverse the rotation with the TX the winch just judders and will not then even rotate anti clockwise. The winch also has a small adjustment screw at the base which doesnt appear to do anything.

So questions;
Can which be recoverd?

If yes any tips?

Does anybody in Uk have one to sell?

If no, can anyone identify a suitable plug and play replacement thet is strong enough to manage a 7foot sail rig?

The replacement needs to be a "pulley system" rather than a lever because or room etc.

Finally does anybody have any knowledge of the yacht K3694.

All help appreciated.
Regards to all
You can replace it with a digital arm servo which is more than powerful enough for an M rig. Should be enough space for an arm, because most early M's had them originally. I put digital arm servos in my US1M's which are 6.5 inches wide max with no problem.
Alot cheaper, simpler and faster than an RMG.

This would work for your application. http://servocity.com/html/hs-7950th_servo.html

$120 and plenty of power.

I use a 7955 in my US1M and it is so fast, I can gybe the mainsail just by flipping the transmitter stick.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Last edited by seefest; Aug 19, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:16 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,004 Posts
The Futaba S5801 drum winch is a direct replacement,plug and play.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:08 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
The Futaba S5801 drum winch is a direct replacement,plug and play.
To bad they've been discontinued
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:36 PM
USA, VA, Powhatan
Joined Nov 2010
38 Posts
Whirlwind Sail Winch

I am also trying to replace a non-functioning Whirlwind winch in my Sterne Viper M so if you happend to find any out there for sale or have any advise on what to use as a replacement - please let me know - it looks like I will go ahead and order the RMG -
foxwyck is offline Find More Posts by foxwyck
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:07 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Does anyone have further instructions for the Whirlwind Olympic 7.2v?

Mine works powered through the receiver, but doesn't work properly when powered directly from a 7.2v battery. I tried it with the winch providing the power and with a separate receiver battery - no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:41 AM
Jersey,C.I. (GB)
Joined Mar 2008
172 Posts
Colin,

I would try it with a Y-lead.

Since I never know how much power my sail-arm servo or winch is going to try to pull, and I don't want to fry a receiver, that's what I do.

It might be overkill, but my arms/ winches all work, and so do the Rx

Edward.
Islander51 is offline Find More Posts by Islander51
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Edward,
What do you mean? Split off from the receiver pack, and run one to the winch and the other to the receiver? I can see how that would stop that current from flowing through the receiver, but it doesn't help me run the winch on its rated 7.2 volts. (Which is what I was hoping for - more speed and power.)
Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB