HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:50 AM
Joined Mar 2010
147 Posts
Question
Glow versus Gas Q?

Hi,

With the prices of small Chinese gas engines dropping like mad (to ~US$ 140 for a 15-25cc gas engine of UNknown quality), is it still worthwhile buying medium-size (60-90) glow engines?

Or should one buy a small RCG or a DLE and be done with it?

M
mixerfix is offline Find More Posts by mixerfix
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:51 AM
United States, NC, Locust
Joined Jul 2001
172 Posts
IMO, it depends on the application, and performance you expect from the plane. Small gas engines are still heavier than the glo counterparts, but the wt. difference is shrinking all the time. Fuel costs are a big reason to go gas. If you put the small gasser on a plane with a light wing loading, you will be happy.
zx32tt
zx32tt is offline Find More Posts by zx32tt
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:14 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,900 Posts
I also agree that it tends to be the application you want to use it for and your personal preferences. Gasoline tends to have less residue left over on the airplane after a flying day. So less clean up. The gasoline engines still tend to look like converted weedeater engines though, that means they are heavier in weight. Plus you need a battery pack to power the ignition system too. I sort of preferred the older style engines with the magneto ignition as you had everything contained with the engine but you had the extra weight from the flywheel/magneto on the engine to contend with. With many airplanes using the gasoline engine pretty much means the cowl on the front is butchered to get the engine on the plane. Then the carb and hooking up the throttle arm can be a problem on some engines. A big plus is the pumper carbs they use on gasoline engines means the fuel tank location is not a problem, you can pretty much put the fuel tank anywhere. On a 3D plane you can put the fuel tank right over the CG point and thus the CG doesn't shift as the fuel level drops.

Now there are a couple of .50 size gas engines that have been announced, but no one has obtained one to tell us about it yet. I wish they'd start selling them though. We do have some 15cc, 17cc and 20cc gasoline engines to choose from though.

My problem is gasoline stinks a lot. If you get it on your hands, your hands still stink even after you try to wash it off. If you need to bring your airplane indoors it stinks up the house. Then traveling to and from the flying field in a car or van can be a problem as the gas smell is there inside. I have to leave the windows down just going to the gas station to fill the gas container for the lawnmower. Now if you have a garage and a pickup truck, then it is no big deal. it depends on if the gas stink bothers you or not.

I still can obtain glow fuel at reasonable prices so I haven't been too motivated to change over to gasoline. But if you are unfortunate to have to pay premium prices for glow fuel, changing to gasoline is a good way to go. Besides I still like the smell of nitromethane, and castor oil in the morning. Although the smell of model diesel fuel is likable too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 16, 2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
148 Posts
Vibration is another issue.

Gas vibrates more than glow, even at the same displacement. Even if a gas motor is well balanced it vibrates more than a glow motor because gas "hits harder" when it burns.

It is a combination of the lean 15:1 air fule mix at which gas burns and the speed of the flame front in gasoline.

I think gas is great for a lot of things. I am really interested in Saito's big gas 4 strokes.
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:03 PM
North Central Ohio
Joined Jun 2009
184 Posts
The DLE 20 gas engine has been many times more successful than the Saito FG-20 and at half the price.

Saito gas engines have a very nice sound but seem to attract people with marginal experience to begin with and they tend to not be successful with the gas Saito engines.

The Saito gas engine has not had much success as a 3D engine as it is too heavy for the power produced and there are throttle issues when used as 3D.

War bird and sport pilots have had the most success with the Saito gas engines.
winning1 is offline Find More Posts by winning1
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:29 PM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winning1 View Post
The DLE 20 gas engine has been many times more successful than the Saito FG-20 and at half the price.

Saito gas engines have a very nice sound but seem to attract people with marginal experience to begin with and they tend to not be successful with the gas Saito engines.

The Saito gas engine has not had much success as a 3D engine as it is too heavy for the power produced and there are throttle issues when used as 3D.

War bird and sport pilots have had the most success with the Saito gas engines.
I take exception to this post, I have been in this hobby since Oct 1947 (63yrs) do you call that marginal experience? I have been very successful with the Saito 4 strokes, I own three FG-20, one FG-36 and one FG14B. One thing you young folks seem to forget is that 3D is not all there is to this hobby. One day some time in the future folks are going to wake up and realize that these cheap chinese engines flooding the market are at best marginal equipment. I had rather purchase a Japanese engine even at five times the price.
MY OPINION ONLY IF YOU ENJOY THE CHAINSAW SOUND HAVE AT IT AND ENJOY YOUR PORTION OF THE HOBBY.

SARG96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:49 PM
Near Andover, Southern England
Joined Apr 2008
183 Posts
The Saito FG20 (4 stroke) is heavier than the DLE 20 (2 stroke) and the DLE produces around 13-14 lbs thrust, to the FG20's 11lb - so for 3D with a small gas engine the DLE and similar units look like a better bet. The FG20 also has a weak carb pump/regulator, so the fuel tank has to be close to the engine - like a glow motor. But, But, But - if you love that crackly cak cak 4 stroke sound that the FG makes then theres no alternative!!!!!

My FG20 is going into a very large (well 10-11 foot) vintage cabin model and so the problems some folk have had with them in aerobats shouldn't bother me, i just need it to start easily and be reliable. I've not actually run my FG yet, but just hearing them run on you-tube was enough to make me get one And you have to admit the FG series look very nicely turned out, not at all agricultural like most bulky gasser engines.....
Rick. is offline Find More Posts by Rick.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:09 PM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Rick, I have one FG-20 in a Senior Telemaster, another in a Wings Maker Sport Wing 90 and as soon as we get some warm wx I am putting the third in a Rascal 110. I love the sound of these engines and I know Saito to be a reputable company. Pricy, YES but worth it in my opinion.
Enjoy the hobby friend.

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:23 PM
North Central Ohio
Joined Jun 2009
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg96 View Post
I take exception to this post, I have been in this hobby since Oct 1947 (63yrs) do you call that marginal experience? I have been very successful with the Saito 4 strokes, I own three FG-20, one FG-36 and one FG14B. One thing you young folks seem to forget is that 3D is not all there is to this hobby. One day some time in the future folks are going to wake up and realize that these cheap chinese engines flooding the market are at best marginal equipment. I had rather purchase a Japanese engine even at five times the price.
MY OPINION ONLY IF YOU ENJOY THE CHAINSAW SOUND HAVE AT IT AND ENJOY YOUR PORTION OF THE HOBBY.

SARG96
I'm not far behind you as I'm in my latter 60's and have been a modeler all my life.

I have two FG-20's and a FG-36 as well as a Saito 150 converted to gas.
winning1 is offline Find More Posts by winning1