SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:39 PM
Team Hitec
United States, IN, Winamac
Joined Jan 2006
93 Posts
rayonnair,

Nice job on the repair. Keep up the good work and good luck.

Best Wishes,

Jim
Team PA
zemkes_wolfpack is offline Find More Posts by zemkes_wolfpack
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:18 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
nice repair job rayonair.almost like it was never damaged
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
Very nice indeed. First rate job.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,446 Posts
+100
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:56 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
Thanks guys .

Let ya'll know how it goes.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:32 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Thanks guys .

Let ya'll know how it goes.
get those crazy FAST KE spins going
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:53 AM
3d electric is my world.....
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry to bring up a subject i can see many posts on, just still not clear after reading though. I am about to build the PA Ultimate, and was thinking of using the stock 45a ESC from the drive package and motor. I was heading towards using 4 x Hitec HS65MG. Someone wrote that this then needed a separate BEC. The specs on the Quantum 45 esc says that it has continuous BEC output of 5.6v, 4a, with 6a burst. Will this be okay? Otherwise i am considering purchasing an expensive 50a Castle ESC.
theBrent is offline Find More Posts by theBrent
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:07 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBrent View Post
Hi all,

Sorry to bring up a subject i can see many posts on, just still not clear after reading though. I am about to build the PA Ultimate, and was thinking of using the stock 45a ESC from the drive package and motor. I was heading towards using 4 x Hitec HS65MG. Someone wrote that this then needed a separate BEC. The specs on the Quantum 45 esc says that it has continuous BEC output of 5.6v, 4a, with 6a burst. Will this be okay? Otherwise i am considering purchasing an expensive 50a Castle ESC.
I'm sure it will be fine.
My AMR, 260, ADX and Bandit are all running just fine on the Quantum45 with no external BEC.
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:05 AM
Team Hitec
Joined Jan 2006
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBrent View Post
Hi all,

You are fine using the Quantum 45 and the Hitec servos. No need for a seperate BEC nor do you need to use the 50a Castle.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have further questions.

Best Wishes!!

Jim
Team PA
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,740 Posts
Use the ipa and do not think twice about it. The ESC and Motor are a proven combo.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:44 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,128 Posts
It was me that wrote about having my system brown out using the Quantum 45's internal BEC ages ago. I was using Hitec 5065 servos (digital). It happened after a hundred or so flights. The internal BEC in that ESC might be fine for analogue serovs, but is marginal for the load of four digital servos.

If PA say that you can run 4x analogue servos off the internal BEC, then who am I to argue? If you're running digitals though, think twice because my experience was not a good one with that combo.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:18 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,740 Posts
Good point sub- while I wholeheartedly endorse the Q45, I need to state I have no experience running digis on that esc. Anyone who has read my experience with this esc should probably take that into consideration...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:25 PM
Team Hitec
Joined Jan 2006
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
It was me that wrote about having my system brown out using the Quantum 45's internal BEC ages ago. I was using Hitec 5065 servos (digital). It happened after a hundred or so flights. The internal BEC in that ESC might be fine for analogue serovs, but is marginal for the load of four digital servos.

If PA say that you can run 4x analogue servos off the internal BEC, then who am I to argue? If you're running digitals though, think twice because my experience was not a good one with that combo.
Subsonic,

Not sure why you had an issue but we are flying a Bandit(Thrust 40/Quantum 45) that has well over 100 flights with 5065MG digitals and have experienced no issues whatsoever.

There are several factors that lead to increased load in servos and the difference in load between a 65MG and a 5065MG is negligible at best when using the PA recommended setup. However, binding in surface deflection, poor solder joints on the extensions, etc. can lead to increased current draw which could lead to failure from excessive heat.

Best Wishes,

Jim
Team PA
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:48 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemkes_wolfpack View Post
Subsonic,

Not sure why you had an issue but we are flying a Bandit(Thrust 40/Quantum 45) that has well over 100 flights with 5065MG digitals and have experienced no issues whatsoever.

There are several factors that lead to increased load in servos and the difference in load between a 65MG and a 5065MG is negligible at best when using the PA recommended setup. However, binding in surface deflection, poor solder joints on the extensions, etc. can lead to increased current draw which could lead to failure from excessive heat.

Best Wishes,

Jim
Team PA
Fair enough, but there was no binding in my system at the time of failure. Maybe my servos were getting old and drawing more current? Just going through my records and I had 169 flights on that combination before the brownout. They were operating fine up that point. I never measured the resistance in the servo wires after the brownout. I was using the PA thin (30g?) extension wire soldered in place.

If given the same circumstances, what would you do? I installed a separate BEC and had no further issue.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,058 Posts
A 3 Amp BEC is minimal....
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC