HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2007, 02:03 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Question
CDROM parts ?

I know people make motors out of these parts. However, I'm not sure what they are worth - or worth anything. These parts could be a dime a dozen or 5 bucks worth, I really have no idea.

If I had access to a box full is that worth something? I just go through tons of ROM's a week and was wondering if by collecting them it would be worth my/buyers time.

Thanks.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2007, 07:40 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
G'day,
Check out gobrushless.com - they have both custom and standard CD-ROM parts there. By what I can see, a can, stator and bushing comes to about USD$2.50. I'd also have a squiz at eBay, see if someone else isn't already doing the same.

I have heard of guys buying bulk lots of 10 or so cdroms off ebay, purely to gut them, so if you're willing to do said gutting for people, so much the better.

Any shipping to the great land down under?
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Aug 25, 2007, 07:54 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Ya sure. The whole CDROM would kill on shipping. But ill look around and see if others have a price structure for such things..

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:15 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
GoBrushless.com sells these parts, but he gets them new from his suppliers, not salvaged from CD-ROM drives.

He sells stators (the 9-armed gizmo with the wire on it) for 60 cents. You would have to remove the wire from yours, since that wire is not suitable for R/C motors.

GoBrushless sells the cans for $1. You'd have to remove the ring magnet, since once again, it is not suitable for R/C motors. Neither is the plastic hub.

The bushing and shaft assembly sells for 80 cents.

With an entire CD-ROM-based motor kit selling for $8.99, not too many people use scavenged parts any longer. It was once the only way to get the parts, but a few years ago GoBrushless began importing the parts directly, making it far less useful to collect parts from CD-ROM drives.

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:01 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Ok, thanks. That tells me what I need. I don't need to be parting them out, just toss like normal.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:07 AM
Indio, CA.
Joined Sep 2005
511 Posts
I still salvage parts, when I come across them. I used to have an agreement with a computer shop, but it has since been sold and the new owner acted as if it was a bother to toss the dead ones in a bin instead of a trash can. I would go by and empty the bin every other week, so it wasn't like they were laying around waiting for me to come and collect them.

I have also successfully used the stock bell and magnet ring, for low amp motors, but I generally remag them.

Mitch
mlh1961 is offline Find More Posts by mlh1961
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:10 AM
Indio, CA.
Joined Sep 2005
511 Posts
GF,

How many do you have torn down? I am always looking for parts. I have a lathe and mill my own flux rings, bearing tubes and end bells.

"One can never have too many parts"

Mitch
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:28 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Well I have a bin full of CDROM's. And always get more every week. Since I have no idea about building motors, I'd have no use for tearing them down. I just tore one down for those pics and to see how much work is involved in tearing them down.. not much really.

I guess, If anybody is interested.. just tell me how many at a time and a price..
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:41 AM
Indio, CA.
Joined Sep 2005
511 Posts
GF,

I just sent you a PM.

Mitch